• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Barcelona Central accommodation tips!

Renascer

Time of past OR future Camino
I have never been to Barcelona and i am excited to go. where is a practical place to stay to get to see the city easily. I may stay two or 3 nights. Not an expensive one. Any place you liked? Thanks

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Casa Gracia (single room, double room, bed in 6-bed mixed dormitory room,...). I was there and it was enjoyable. Center, many things are within walking distance (Sagrada familia, Las Ramblas, Placa de Catalunya, ....)
Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I stayed in Hostal Balkonis. Well located, good, not so cheap - but still cheaper than a lot of other places in a similar location (the Eixample).
Walking distance to a metro station and fair amount of interesting atractions.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
We began our third camino from Barcelona in 2019 (one overnight, then train to Pamplona, bus to St Jean). We took the bus from the airport to Plaza Catalunya - inexpensive, fast and convenient. We used Booking.com and made a reservation at Cien. This is a small place in a quiet neighborhood close to Plaza Catalunya. Short walk to Las Ramblas. Many small shops, bars and restaurants nearby. Very friendly hosts Arther and Lounna, quiet room, updated bathroom, incredible outside patio area surrounded with plants. Great place to share a bottle of wine. Delicious breakfast included in the room price. Bob

Very helpful your guidance especially when one don't know where is the area easier to move around. These forums makes things much easier. Sometimes is worth pay a bit more for a hotel because of a convenient location alone.

The two times I stayed in Barcelona I got a room with Superhosts on AIrBnB. I know this website has caused lots of problems the last few years owing to an affordable housing crisis in the city. I do not know if there are restrictions for Barcelona now. I can tell you it was in 2011 and 2013 and my rooms were wonderful in really nice area and the hosts whose homes I shared were fantastic. It was 2013 but my room was large with a bathroom next door, king size bed, down comforter and down pillows and a terrace for 20 Euros a night. There was a metro about 200 meters away, shopping, bars and restaurants just down the street.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The two times I stayed in Barcelona I got a room with Superhosts on AIrBnB. I know this website has caused lots of problems the last few years owing to an affordable housing crisis in the city. I do not know if there are restrictions for Barcelona now. I can tell you it was in 2011 and 2013 and my rooms were wonderful in really nice area and the hosts whose homes I shared were fantastic. It was 2013 but my room was large with a bathroom next door, king size bed, down comforter and down pillows and a terrace for 20 Euros a night. There was a metro about 200 meters away, shopping, bars and restaurants just down the street.
Yes i like the idea of airbnb too.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
In Barcelona you can have any two from good, cheap and central. I’ve never found all three!

hostal BCN Ramblas is cheap and central.

keep your hand on your wallet.
I was pick pocketed there once.

I have never been to Barcelona and i am excited to go. where is a practical place to stay to get to see the city easily. I may stay two or 3 nights. Not an expensive one. Any place you liked? Thanks
When I finished my 2011 Camino I was flying out of Barcelona, friends advised me to look for inexpensive hotels around Place Real, I ended up at the Commercial Hotel, just off the square, very basic and very reasonable. Avoid Hostal Kabul at all costs.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Look at Praktik Bakery.
It is one of the less small expensive hotels over a fabulous bakery.

Twice I have rented a self-catering apartment at the avenue Diagonale near to everything: Negre Apartments BCN... give it a look up.

Is this area Ramblas safe? I heard to be careful there? Why?
As has been posited above, in the absence of Tourists and Cruise Ship shore-parties the Barca pickpockets have been having a lean time of it. Be sure that as the herds return the predator packs will be snapping at their heels. This should not pose a problem for a Pilgrim who has read the sensible advice on protecting themselves and their valuable possessions in strange and novel environments. Those who carry laden wallets and purses, 'phones and passports in easily accessible pockets have supported a Barca sub-culture for many years and long may they continue to do so.

How are things on your local tourist drags? Barca will be much the same. Take the usual precautions.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If you guys know the area/street...this place Wilson boutique Hotel, is this In a very good area to move around easily?
Avenida Diagonal, 568, Sarrià-St. Gervasi, Barcelona

Last edited:
As has been posited above, in the absence of Tourists and Cruise Ship shore-parties the Barca pickpockets have been having a lean time of it. Be sure that as the herds return the predator packs will be snapping at their heels. This should not pose a problem for a Pilgrim who has read the sensible advice on protecting themselves and their valuable possessions in strange and novel environments. Those who carry laden wallets and purses, 'phones and passports in easily accessible pockets have supported a Barca sub-culture for many years and long may they continue to do so.

How are things on your local tourist drags? Barca will be much the same. Take the usual precautions.
I will be careful. Thanks

I’ve stayed at Hostal Q, which I’d found on bookingdotcom, a bunch of years ago. Location was fine for my purposes. It was clean. Price was acceptable.

Normally I stay with a friend who lives near to the Rambla. Don’t use your phone in crowded areas, step away into a more secure spot; they are easily snatched from your hand. Put your valuables out of sight and beneath your clothes. I usually have a ´decoy’ wallet, with only that day’s spending money in it, no cards - so if thieves do get it, the loss is not such a big deal. I’ve never felt unsafe in Barcelona, but like anyplace, it has issues.

Barcelona is a nice city for walking. I've rarely used the subway.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If you guys know the area/street...this place Wilson boutique Hotel, is this In a very good area to move around easily?
Avenida Diagonal, 568, Sarrià-St. Gervasi, Barcelona
Barcelona has an excellent transportation network with buses, trains and a metro system. It is also a very walkable city. You will have no difficulties seeing the city using this hotel as your base. Enjoy your time in beautiful Barcelona!

Barcelona has an excellent transportation network with buses, trains and a metro system. It is also a very walkable city. You will have no difficulties seeing the city using this hotel as your base. Enjoy your time in beautiful Barcelona!
Awesome. Glad to here from you all that have been there! Thank you. Seems like from that Hotel I can also walk to the Sagrada Familia which i cant wait to see. 👏

Those who carry laden wallets and purses, 'phones and passports in easily accessible pockets have supported a Barca sub-culture for many years and long may they continue to do so.

I'm guessing that you don't mean "long may they continue" in the way that I understand the phrase. My feeling is "may they wise up and be better protected," but whether that is realistic, I can't say.

I think Barcelona's "tourist drags," are significantly worse for theft than a lot of "tourist drags" around the world and they deserve a higher level of situational awareness than yer regular "world traveler savvy".

In Barcelona's residential areas I feel as safe as I do in any large city, but the street criminals treat Las Ramblas and other touristy spots like barrels for the proverbial shooting of fish. Few people have the situational awareness required to avoid being a mark for a practiced team of criminals - Sometimes five or more individuals who work together to observe, distract, confuse, divert, extract, and re-direct your items of value. Honest people don't see the busy streets with the same eyes that a criminal does - As the Manic Street Preachers said "I've walked Las Ramblas, But not with real intent."
[↑ Joke]

I think that the best advice for having a relaxed time in the touristy parts of Barcelona is to carry as little of value as you can get away with - credit cards and ID documents can stay in secure storage at the hotel or hostel. Cash for a meal, a taxi fare, and a couple of admission fees should suffice. If you feel a need to carry a camera or camera phone, don't carry one with high resale value and don't forget to back up your precious photos before you go out.

About 15 years ago, I visited South America for the first time with plans to visit several places with poor reputations for personal security. My first stop was Buenos Aires, where I met with a colleague. He looked me up and down and said "Well done. Scruffy shoes and pants. Old shirt. Cheap watch. You chose the right outfit to avoid sticking out and stay safe on this trip." With some embarrassment, I confessed that those were my regular clothes.... I'm not called Raggy for nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I stayed at Ten to go hostel. Over the road (almost) from Barcelona Sants main train station. Clean, inexpensive comfy beds, lots of pilgrims stay there and Louis will store your extra luggage while you "Camino" until you return.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, I'm searching for any transportation ways to to get to sjpp from Biarritz. Would anyone let me know how to get to? I would like taking bus or train. Thank you.
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
Hi All, My girlfriend and I are planning to do the Camino Primitivo. I'll be honest here; I'm not entirely sure how far we'll get, but Caminoways says that the entire route can be done in 15...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.