• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Barcelona/Leon days (how many in each please?) prior to Camino Frances starting in O Cebreiro

Fortyforward

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2023
Hi team. Flights booked for May 2023! We are so excited. We walked down our local beach on the weekend getting some miles on our feet and kept seeing little scallop shells of many colours - definitely a sign!

We would appreciate some more advice from the wise ones here - thanks in advance 😊.

From leaving our home to the aircraft touching down in Barcelona will be about 31 hours on the go. We will be very eager to start walking but realistically we know we will need a bit of a break and jetlag will be a thing, so we’re planning Barcelona to O’Cebreiro to take 3 nights, then one more before starting our Camino.

We are thinking Barcelona - Leon (fly), then hopefully buses Ponferrada - O’Cebreiro.

Hopefully Leon to O’Cebreiro is achievable on the same day.

So - likely to be three nights split between Barcelona and Leon. But how to split 1 or 2 in which place? Any thoughts please?

Hopefully we will bring poles with us (but not sure about Altus covers?) and we will need to take some time to send luggage to SdC as we will be travelling afterwards so will have more with us initially, than we need to carry in our Camino packs.

We land in Barcelona at 1.25pm local. Unsure how many nights to spend.

Then fly to Leon (arrive early evening, again unsure how many nights to spend)

Any and all advice or comment will be most gratefully received.

Many thanks, all the best

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Flying to Leon? Which airport would be closest to Leon? EDIT : I now see Leon indeed has an airport.
Why not by train or bus?

To be honest : I would opt for just one night in Barcelona and find a decent place so you are able to leave quickly for Leon the next day. Then spend two nights in Leon. Much easier to navigate Leon than Barcelona when being jetlagged.
I do not know if you fly back via Barcelona? In that case you can see how many days you have left after finishing your Camino to explore this big town.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Flying to Leon? Which airport would be closest to Leon? EDIT : I now see Leon indeed has an airport.
Why not by train or bus?

To be honest : I would opt for just one night in Barcelona and find a decent place so you are able to leave quickly for Leon the next day. Then spend two nights in Leon. Much easier to navigate Leon than Barcelona when being jetlagged.
I do not know if you fly back via Barcelona? In that case you can see how many days you have left after finishing your Camino to explore this big town.
Thank you so much. For some unknown reason I am drawn more to Leon than Barcelona but no idea why - do appreciate feedback on this.! Train or bus is fine… just wanting to spend time in places rather than on transport, if it is economically ok. Re the end of our trip, we will be departing from Roma. We haven’t filled in the middle yet…. But arriving in Spain and leaving from Italia.

Thank you so much. For some unknown reason I am drawn more to Leon than Barcelona but no idea why - do appreciate feedback on this.! Train or bus is fine… just wanting to spend time in places rather than on transport, if it is economically ok. Re the end of our trip, we will be departing from Roma. We haven’t filled in the middle yet…. But arriving in Spain and leaving from Italia.

Yes train takes longer, but you do not have to take waitingtime at he airport into consideration.Especially if you do not have your logdging close to airport you will also lose extra time for /bus / taxi to airport.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yes train takes longer, but you do not have to take waitingtime at he airport into consideration.Especially if you do not have your logdging close to airport you will also lose extra time for /bus / taxi to airport.
And a train is far more environmentfriendly, which should be a point of consideration too

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi @Fortyforward
Is this your first camino ?
Have you been to Barcelona before ?
Do you have time restrictions ? (That is; are you retired or do you have a return date for work ?).
Assuming you can decide how long you’re in spain; if you haven’t been to Barcelona, then at the very least / stay the night you arrive and another night. I’d stay at least 3 unless you intend to return there one day. You’ll need time to get to correos to send your extra gear to sdc for travelling onwards after you finish your camino.
The Gaudí architecture is something to behold and a must see is the Segrada Familia.
It’s a long haul from NZ. !!!

I’d catch the train to Léon.
But looking into search apps like rome2rio and I also like using Omio to book tickets (train ., bus etc) on the go helps to know what is available. It (Omio) takes the pain out of attending the bus stations to ask what’s available. I have @peregrina2000 to thank for that advice.

Good luck with planning your Camino to Santiago and your travel after to Italy.

Buen camino

Hi team. Flights booked for May 2023! We are so excited. We walked down our local beach on the weekend getting some miles on our feet and kept seeing little scallop shells of many colours - definitely a sign!

We would appreciate some more advice from the wise ones here - thanks in advance 😊.

From leaving our home to the aircraft touching down in Barcelona will be about 31 hours on the go. We will be very eager to start walking but realistically we know we will need a bit of a break and jetlag will be a thing, so we’re planning Barcelona to O’Cebreiro to take 3 nights, then one more before starting our Camino.

We are thinking Barcelona - Leon (fly), then hopefully buses Ponferrada - O’Cebreiro.

So - likely to be three nights split between Barcelona and Leon. But how to split 1 or 2 in which place? Any thoughts please?

Hopefully we will bring poles with us (but not sure about Altus covers?) and we will need to take some time to send luggage to SdC as we will be travelling afterwards so will have more with us initially, than we need to carry in our Camino packs.

As far as bringing your hiking sticks with you. You may get away with it as I did for years going through security all across the US, they usually only wanted to look at them & then waved me through. NOT SO in Madrid where they took them from me even as they had been collapsed to 14 inch segments in the pouch and also feet protected by soft caps. And then on my flight back to US, a gentleman was carrying his poles fully extended. So good luck, it just depends on the whims of the folks in security whether or not you get to keep them!

As far as bringing your hiking sticks with you. You may get away with it as I did for years going through security all across the US, they usually only wanted to look at them & then waved me through. NOT SO in Madrid where they took them from me even as they had been collapsed to 14 inch segments in the pouch and also feet protected by soft caps. And then on my flight back to US, a gentleman was carrying his poles fully extended. So good luck, it just depends on the whims of the folks in security whether or not you get to keep them!
I presume the OP will have checked luggage as they are planning further travels in Europe after the Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
When I first walked Cds I spent 2 nights in Madrid then 1 night in León before setting off on the Camino from León the following day. 2 nights in Madrid was a nice opportunity to see a part of Spain that wasn't going to be on our Camino (we flew back from Porto and had two nights there - again, as a bit of a 'separation' from the Camino). So if you're wanting that separation- spend more time in Barcelona. However, I love León - its small but having a day and a couple of nights there will get you fully in the CdS 'mood'. Also would avoid two consecutive days of travel adjacent to starting walking.
Enjoy!

Sitges is a lovely “suburb” of Barcelona well worth a visit. We spent five nights there and took the train to Barcelona for sightseeing.

Truly a travesty to miss out on Barcelona if you believe this will be your only visit there - food, architecture, history, culture, music, and so much more all in one glorious place! Leon? Not so much, though the cathedral is quite nice. Most folks on this forum gush about Leon because after walking from SJPdP, it’s a major city offering all the amenities that pilgrims have been missing while on the Camino. As a stand-alone city to visit? Worth a day, but pales in comparison to what Barcelona has to offer.

As for train versus bus, remember that airline travels requires leaving the city center (where the train station usually is located) to get to a remote suburb where the airport is and arriving hours early to make it through security, bag check, etc. Then you arrive at your “destination” which is another suburb of a city, requiring more travel (time + €€€) to reach that city center…where that train station is located! Factor all that in and you may find the train actually faster and cheaper overall.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

I don't do jet lag well, so for me, staying in one place and getting my feet under me would be a big factor in my planning. Aside from jet lag, you're going to be up for 31 hrs getting there, which will take a toll. Lots to see in Barcelona, Familia Sagrada, Park Güell, las Ramblas, Mercado de la Boqueria, the Gothic Quarter. Whichever way you go, you will do fine!

Should you choose to spend time in Barcelona, many people enjoy the experience of the "hop on hop off" tourist buses as a way of exploring some of the city's highlights within a limited time frame. I was there for 8 years and never grew tired of wonderful Barcelona. Enjoy!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Sitges is a lovely “suburb” of Barcelona well worth a visit. We spent five nights there and took the train to Barcelona for sightseeing.
Sitges is also where my favourite restaurant is located, offering a fabulous fixed price luncheon menu from Monday to Friday: Bon Estar, reservations by phone are a must as it is very popular with the locals.

After 31 hours travel, my choice would be 2 nights in Barcelona and don't plan to do much that day.
I agree, and think 3 nights would be better. Have you done this trip to Europe before? If not then the jet lag is going to be around for two days at least, and probably more. It would be no fun attempting a long walk if you have jet lag.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The trip from NZ is a killer, but whatever you decide to do, get up and out and about in daylight asap, this helps combat the jetlag more than anything.
It's why I now get to the Camino and start walking immediately, and do sightseeing trips post Camino. Especially if you have limited days, I find the earlier I walk, the sooner I get back into a 'normal' cycle.

I agree, and think 3 nights would be better. Have you done this trip to Europe before? If not then the jet lag is going to be around for two days at least, and probably more. It would be no fun attempting a long walk if you have jet lag.
Karl - not sure if your question is addressed to me or the OP but I will use it as an excuse to answer.
I travel from OZ and I do feel jet lag. When I traveled to Europe to start my camino I overnighted 3 nights in Hong Kong (1st time in HK/China) and then 2 nights in Paris (1 brief prior visit), before catching the fast train and local bus to do 1 night in SJdPP.
For me, a single night break doesn't help a lot but a full day is useful, so I agree with your comment.
My example above might be too lethargic for some but both the stop-overs were great and in hindsight, my camino did start when I left my front door.
BTW, returning home I don't usually dawdle so much, get home and crash where it is all familiar, but I certainly wouldn't go to work the next day and I don't fly direct back to OZ.

Barcelona has a lot more varied things to do and see, but I found Leon more pleasant. But as noted previously, if you’re just sightseeing, Leon is probably only a day. I think it depends on what your goals are for the visit.

In terms of getting from Barcelona to Leon. I took a high speed train From Leon to Barcelona at the end of my trip. it wasn’t the fastest one, but it took about eight hours. There might be a quicker one that takes about six hours. Book it in advance, you’ll save money and they do sell out sometimes.

I think Leon only has a small regional airport, It wasn’t clear from your post if you actually booked the flight already, but the train is just more pleasant and environmentally friendly. You can’t book tickets yet in May for the train, but if you look in February when you can book the only train it’s showing is from 2 PM to 9 PM. If you look over the next couple days they show four a day, So I’m guessing they just haven’t released the tickets fully yet.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Barcelona has a lot more varied things to do and see, but I found Leon more pleasant. But as noted previously, if you’re just sightseeing, Leon is probably only a day. I think it depends on what your goals are for the visit.

In terms of getting from Barcelona to Leon. I took a high speed train From Leon to Barcelona at the end of my trip. it wasn’t the fastest one, but it took about eight hours. There might be a quicker one that takes about six hours. Book it in advance, you’ll save money and they do sell out sometimes.

I think Leon only has a small regional airport, It wasn’t clear from your post if you actually booked the flight already, but the train is just more pleasant and environmentally friendly. You can’t book tickets yet in May for the train, but if you look in February when you can book the only train it’s showing is from 2 PM to 9 PM. If you look over the next couple days they show four a day, So I’m guessing they just haven’t released the tickets fully yet.
Thank you for the train information, we have had great advice re this leg of the journey and we will be taking the train. Your info is very useful, thank you 😊

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back