• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Barcelona - Santiago

Lida Valk

Time of past OR future Camino
Hello, I would very much like to receive advice and advice to receive the Barcelona - Santiago de Compostela pilgrimage route. I am still unsure which route I want to walk. I want to start in August 2021.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello, I would very much like to receive advice and advice to receive the Barcelona - Santiago de Compostela pilgrimage route. I am still unsure which route I want to walk. I want to start in August 2021.

Hi and welcome here.

Do take a look in these threads (subforum ) for more info.

Also the website gronze is a good source of information.

I'm sure some forummembers who walked this route will be more than happy to share their experiences with you.

I've done two and a half of the ones available-- the Catalan through Huesca which hooks on to the Aragonese near Jaca and then the Francese at Puente la Reina; the Catalan up the Ebro to Gallur (one can continue up the Ebro to Logroño), and the Castellano Aragonese from Gallur to Sto Domingo de Silos, and then up to Burgos and the Francese. You have much reading to do but I would remind you that walking in this part of Spain in August will be very warm indeed, and you will need to figure water into your calculations. I did the Catalan through Huesca in September and found it necessary to begin walking by dawn each day, as the afternoons would be too much-- but I did get to see some splendid sunrises.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The main complication on this route is finding which way to get out of Barcelona, as there is a bewildering array of possibilities.

The only one I've walked personally is on tarmac up to Valldoreix (many years ago), but the one I'd advise would be from the Sagrada Familia and then up through the nature reserve up to Sant Cugat ; then up from there by whichever way to Montserrat. (used to live in Valldoreix and went to school in Sant Cugat, and the latter is a far more pleasant place)

After that, there's only one route 'til Tàrrega -- then it's a choice between the route via Lleida or the one via Huesca.

The latter is more mountainous but also more travelled Camino-wise, and so I think has easier lodging. The other shares its route with the Camino Ignaciano, and so may have more pilgrims overall, though there is a lengthy "dry" stretch after Lleida (which I'll have to face very soon) of pretty much nothing at all. But it is physically a lot easier than the other.

Best source for lodging info, at least between Montserrat and Tàrrega is : https://caminoignaciano.org/en/lodging/

Welcome! I have not been able to do my camino yet (Maybe in October), but you will find great advice and very supportive people. Tks!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back