• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Barcelona to Montserrat help needed please.

gregdedman

Hi all,
So, I booked some flights last week, spur of the moment really and have decided to walk 3 days of the Camino from Barcelona to Montserrat.
I've looked through a lot of the posts on the forums but couldn't find my specific answers so thought I'd try here.

Firstly, I know there are two branches from Barcelona....
Does anyone know which one is;
a) More scenic
b) Has the better accommodation

Are there any English guides or maps for this route?
Should I just pick up the GR6 or GR96 maps?

On the subject of accommodation, does anyone have any information on where to stay on this Camino section? Im assuming there are no official pilgrim albergues, but are there monasteries to stay in or will I have to stay in all private hostels?

Any advice whatsoever would be much appreciated.
Kind regards
Greg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Please, someone, give answers to the question of accommodation for both routes - we are thinking of doing the round trip!

I have emailed "gronze" and asked if there are accommodations on the spots marked on this map:
http://www.gronze.com/camino-de-santiag ... celona.htm
Next step is to google each place and see what I can find.

I'll let you know if I come up with anything.

booking.com shows there are lots of hotels.
I'm wondering if there are small casas, albergues, churches with pews for sleeping! Staying in an enormous three star hotel would not feel very Camino-ish! Triple rooms can be found for around 50euros. No doubt less for single or double.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Honestly, from what I recall, you will be walking a lot in the city.
If this were me, knowing what I know, I'd forget walking TO Montserrat from Barcelona and instead, I would take the train to Monserrat and do some hiking there. There are some spectacular trails and viewpoints there. I know a pilgrim can stay at the Monastery. Perhaps they can tell you what albergues are behind or ahead of them? You could email them?

Anyway... you're in for a treat!

Im a little torn to be honest, I know out of the 3 days ill be walking, 1 of those will be almost entirely in the city.
Getting out to Montserrat and walking from there is a good idea but does anyone know if you can get your credencial there at the monastery? I think I read somewhere you could.

Also, does anyone have first hand experience with buses from Barcelona airport to Montserrat?
I fly in next Monday 15th at 7pm so figure Ill have to spend the night in the city before getting my credencial at 10am then get walking.
Mmmmmm

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I've emailed the monastery to see what they can tell us. Hopefully, for your sake, they are quick to reply!

To my knowledge, there are no buses from the airport to the monastery in Montserrat. In 2009, I took the metro from the airport to Placa de Espanya, and the local train from there to Monastrol de Montserrat. A local train runs from there up to the mountain-- I think that the last one is about 7.00 pm-- after then, one takes a taxi.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks for your help Annie. Do you happen to know what the cost is to stay there? And whether they would let you stay a second day to really look round the place before walking on?

Greg, maybe you would consider biking up to Montserrat, and yes you´ll spend time getting out of the city but once you start going up it is absolutely spectacular! If you are into rock climbing, there are some who climb on the face of the rocky serrated mountain there! Once you get to the top, the monastery of the Benedictine Monks do give lodging to pilgrims but you have to call them to let them know. Their phone # is 938 777 766.
Make sure you go into their shop where they have some fantastic liquors that they themselves make; there are other wonderful crafts made by the monks too. Out on the street there are a few vendors who sell ¨requesón con miel¨and that, my friend, you don´t want to miss :D . Like Annie said, there are different trails up there to hike on and none will disappoint. Also, there are about a dozen hermitages of different saints to visit.
Here is this link that gives you information on transportation there: http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/ ... elona.html
And here is Montserrat´s official site which you can change to English if you need to do that: http://www.abadiamontserrat.net/(S(s5hg ... 1y4yw2mc2z))/Default.aspx
Make sure too that you go to listen to the boy´s choir. They are incredible and you´ll never forget that experience! They always sing at 1:00 p.m.
Hope this helps a bit!

Ultreia!

Mary

Kiwi-family said:
Thanks for your help Annie. Do you happen to know what the cost is to stay there? And whether they would let you stay a second day to really look round the place before walking on?

When I went thru, 4 or 5 years ago, the first night was free for pilgrims. You can stay as many nights as you want.
The monastery also has a musical/singing residential school for children. If you're lucky there will be a free concert in the big church. Not to be missed.
That place is awesome!
Cheers,
Jean-Marc

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello Greg,

I'm planning to walk the Camino Catalan and the Camino Aragones this Fall and have put together some information you might find useful. The attached file takes you from Montserrat to Burgos, with a detour up and down the Pyrenees (just for fun). The information is mostly in Spanish, with bits in English and French, gleaned from various websites.

Best wishes,

Laura

Attachments

• Camino Catalan and Camino Aragones Stages and Distances.xlsx
    29.8 KB · Views: 74
Hi,
I was so excited to see this discussion thread and all the helpful information!
I'm new to the forums (this is my first post) and I have just started planning for a 2014 Camino in earnest. I decided to start in Montserrat in February and stay at the monastery for a while to get my mountain legs back and practice my (feeble) Spanish! Your info will be a great help in planning where to go from there. I had thought of going back to SJDP by train, but now I see lots of options!! Thank you!! I have had some contact with the monastery. Full board currently 19€/night, but I'm waiting for 2014 rates (and alternatives -open to suggestion!)
Nice to meet you all,
Mary

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back