• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Barcelona to Pamplona

fortview

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino frances Sept/oct 2012 , Salvador, Primitivo 2013
Cotswold Way July 2014
European Peace Walk August 2014 (John)
Hi,
Any ideas on best way to travel from Barcelona to Pamplona? Thinking of the train, but am unable to find out where it goes from. Does anyone know which train station? Where it is in relation to the airport?
Any help much appreciated! Helen

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Barcelona Sants train station to Pamplona. Easy to do. Look up trains on renfe.es
English choice on top right if website.
Station is on subway map, look online for map. You can take a city bus into Placa Espanya, bus 46 or the aerobus to Placa Catalunya grom airport....

there are numerous trains per day from barcelona sants station to pamplona with price ranges fro 40.90 euros to 67.80 euros. i will be able to help you more if you give me an indication when you are traveling.

also whether you are over 60 to avail of renfe discount.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi, thank you both so much for your replies. Much appreciated.piogaw, I will definitely ask you more when my plans are more solid. :)

I've done that journey twice by bus. It was cheap and comfortable. There is a bus stand outside the Sants railway station.

My flights got into BCN at about 13.30 and the bus left about 15.15. As I recall the journey took about six hours. It cost about €27. I would certainly do it again. One time I wandered into the bus stand and bought my ticket, and the other time, I booked it ahead of time on the internet, printed it out at home and took it to the driver. I really enjoyed the trip which went along at a steady 100KPH on scenic and uncrowded motorways

The company I used is Vibassa and their website is here:

http://www.vibasa.com/index2.php?ididioma=2#

The journey one way is €27.60

One thing though, you will need to prepare in advance the walking route from the bus station in Pamplona to the Jesus Y Maria albergue in Pamplona. The distance is about 1 or 2 km, and you will not have a lot of time before the albergue closes for the night. I did the walk twice, but the first time when I didn't know where it was, I arrived at the albergue pretty late. I don't speak Spanish so I had troubles getting directions. That albergue is a real gem. Best I ever stayed in.

Good luck

Helen:

There are several trains daily from Barcelona Sants to Pamplona. The trip is just under 4 hours and anywhere from 32 to 60 Euros depending on when you purchase and type of ticket. You can also travel by bus. I prefer the train to the bus because you can walk around on the train, purchase food and the bathrooms are private.

I took a taxi from Airport to Barcelona Sants. The ride was not long, less than ten minutes, but I do not remember the cost.

Ultreya,
Joe

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
jpflavin1 said:
I took a taxi from Airport to Barcelona Sants. The ride was not long, less than ten minutes, but I do not remember the cost.

Ultreya,
Joe

If you have time, there are very regular trains from the airport to Sants. The cost is very little, maybe about €2 to Sants. When I was last in Barcelona, I and my travel companion were charged €45 for a ten minute taxi ride. :cry: Maybe we were scammed, but I won't be taking a taxi there again without checking on the fayer before I get in.

Thank you all for your helpful replies!
Just wondering about whether it will be impossible to get a bed at the Jesus y Maria albergue arriving very late?
Planning to fly to Barcelona 11 th September.

Thanks again,
Helen

Helen:

The trip from the airport to the train station is 12.6 km's. Depending on time of day and traffic 12-15 minutes. I know I did not pay 45 euros. Ask the cab driver before getting in the cab. I believe it was less than 20 euros but really do not recall.

I stayed at Casa Paderbon in Pamplona. It is by the river as you enter town. A very nice Albergue run by Germans.

http://www.caminodesantiago.me/camino-frances/

Try this link for Camino Albergues.

Ultreya,
Joe

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm planning on leaving Barcelona for Pamplona on Sept 2, although I am not sure what time so I don't want to book in advance. Do you know if I would have a hard time buying a ticket same day or is it possible that the trains would be completely booked?

Spanish trains are never full. Of course, Murphy's Law says the train you want on the day you want will be full! However, I would not worry about it. Show up and there will be a seat.

Hi,
Any ideas on best way to travel from Barcelona to Pamplona? Thinking of the train, but am unable to find out where it goes from. Does anyone know which train station? Where it is in relation to the airport?
Any help much appreciated! Helen

RENFE (Spanish train operator) has a train going from El Prat Airport T2 terminal to Sants station in Barcelona and the train from Barcelona to Pamplona departs from the same station. Easier, impossible!!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
All spanish distance trains come with a seat reservation. You will not be able to buy a ticket without a seat. Local short distance trains on the other hand do not have seat reservation. It is very, very seldom for a spanish train to be full.

Buen camino and god bless.

All spanish distance trains come with a seat reservation. You will not be able to buy a ticket without a seat. Local short distance trains on the other hand do not have seat reservation. It is very, very seldom for a spanish train to be full.

Buen camino and god bless.
hi piogaw,
you may be able to advise me ? am hoping to take advantage of cheap flights from cork to
Barcelona,and then travel on to Pamplona, have just been laid off this week so funds are
low but think a walk will do me good ?

Hello jennie,

I am providing for now this webpage and will give more specific info.

FROM BARCELONA
By Train

• The Barcelona train station you need is Estació Sants. Trains leave about three times a day. The train ride to Pamplona takes about 4 hours. Tourist class costs €54.40 and first class costs €72.10 (only one way).
  • Trains run from the Barcelona Airport to the Estació Sants every 30 minutes and cost €2. If the trains aren’t running, there will be an alternative bus shuttle from the airport to the Estació Sants.
  • Useful links:
By bus
  • The Barcelona Bus stations are called Estación de Autobuses, Barcelona Nord and Estació Sants (Sants Bus Station is the same station as the train station).
  • Vibasa Buses is the company that serves Barcelona – Pamplona. The trip is roughly 6 hours and costs €21. Buses for Pamplona leave approximately 3 times a day from Barcelona.
  • Getting to Barcelona Nord: from the city you can get there by metro, Line 1, stop, Arc de Triomf, or by the city bus # 54.
  • Useful links:
By Airplane
  • Flights to Pamplona leave from Barcelona’s main International Airport: El Prat. There are approximately 3 flights per day with Air Nostrum (Iberia’s regional carrier) from Barcelona to Pamplona. The prices vary depending on the day and time, but can be anywhere between €100 to €250. The flight is only 1 hour and is very convenient, but can be very expensive.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
HELP!!!!
Anybody have any idea how to get from Barcelona to Pamplona by 17:00 h. on 30th June.
I land at BCN airport 10:05 and everything is sold out. I have bus ticket from Pamplona to SJPDP at 17:30 but thee is no way for me to reach Pamplona. No plains, buses or trains, everything is sold out. Even blabla car can't help. Do you have any idea what too do.
THANKS!!!!

Where are you trying to buy tickets? On Renfe there appear to be plenty of tickets available on the 12:10 from Barcelona Saints which is your optimal train. There are 'works' between Pamplona and Irun but that should not affect your journey.

Unfortunately sold out at 12:10 on Renfe - No seats available for Itinerary 1. Were Sorry (RV51)
I found another one at 12:50 but its BCN SANTS to ZARAG-DELI and then I have to take bus to Pamplona which arrives 17:15 and my bus for SJPDP leaves from same bus terminal at 17:30 so I have to hope we won't be late. I didn't even left my home and have already problems ;))))

Oh well. That isn't what i'm seeing on RENFE but never mind. You could just cancel your accomodation in St J d DP and start walking from Pamplona as many thousands do. That little French town is not the compulsorary start of the Camino Frances. If you really want to experience the Pyrenees just start walking from Barcelona.

Edit: I've just 'bought' a ticket for the 12:10 without any difficulty. I stopped the transaction at the pay point. Even RENFE wouldn't sell me a ticket that didn't exist!

Last edited:
RENFE will show you that they have free seats until you type your name and put all the info in.
Could you please try 30.06 12:15 to Pamplona and see if you can book. I would like to book direct train instead
of the version that I've booked.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thanks anyway but it is after the credit card data is put in and you click enter when you get the answer that there is no available seats.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
Hi All, My girlfriend and I are planning to do the Camino Primitivo. I'll be honest here; I'm not entirely sure how far we'll get, but Caminoways says that the entire route can be done in 15...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.