• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Barcelona to Santiago

Ted Stek

Time of past OR future Camino
CF, SJPDP-SdC (5-16) VDLP, Sevilla-SdC (9-16), CM/CF Madrid-SdC (4-18), CP, Lisbon-SdC (9-19)
Has anyone completed a trek from Barcelona to Santiago or from Barcelona to the Camino Francis and then Santiago?

I completed the Camino Francis from SJPDP to Santiago in June and plan to start another trek this September and wanted to start in Barcelona. I know you can start in Montserrat and take the Cami de Sant Jaume part of the way, but I would like to go all the way from Barcelona on foot and then maybe end up back on the Camino Francis, and then of course back in Santiago? I know there are possibly a few ways to go? Any information or tips would be great.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Have heard of one account of this traverse;
Said person was adamant to carry out this 1100 km trail, and was rewarded in the Cathedral to be called out as the "Peregrino Loca", having walked from Barcelona to SdC,
which indeed made her very proud.
I have myself the same project as you, we could call it the "Ruta Loca" !!!

Oh, I didn't think it was that obscure? I was just considering a longer and less traveled experience. Ruta Loca, I like it!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have met a peregrina who walked from Barcelona to Jaca, but I don't know this route. At Jaca you can join the Camino Aragones which will take you to Puenta la Reina on the Frances and thence to Santiago. There is plenty of info on this forum and elsewhere on the Aragones which is roughly a six day walk and beautiful. Hope this gives you some ideas.

I have met a peregrina who walked from Barcelona to Jaca, but I don't know this route. At Jaca you can join the Camino Aragones which will take you to Puenta la Reina on the Frances and thence to Santiago. There is plenty of info on this forum and elsewhere on the Aragones which is roughly a six day walk and beautiful. Hope this gives you some ideas.

I heard from a few people that had gone to Jaca, but not further. That is the northern Camino, and I hear it the nicer, but it takes you further north. The Camino to Zaragoza seems to take you further south, closer to Santiago. I have some time constraint and I know the weather will turn at the end of October.

Thanks David

You got good info on your other thread including a link to the thread where @peregrina2000 counts her experience on the route through Huesca and another link to a thread where another user (whose name I don't recall, sorry) counts his or her experience on the route through Zaragoza.

I heard from a few people that had gone to Jaca, but not further.

Be aware once you reach Santa Cilia de Jaca, you are on a new Camino, the Camino Aragonés. @peregrina2000 walked that one too till Puente la Reina where it meets the Francés (and she made a report at: www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/our-camino-aragonés-june-2015.36782) so there you have someone who walked further.

The Camino to Zaragoza seems to take you further south, closer to Santiago. I have some time constraint and I know the weather will turn at the end of October.

If you take the route through Zaragoza, be aware you have two options: to go all the way till Logroño where you meet the Camino Francés (that's the option described on the link you got on your other thread) or to take in Gallur the Camino Castellano-Aragonés to Santo Domingo de Silos from where you can continue on the Ruta de la Lana to Burgos where you meet the Francés. For a recent trip report of the Camino Castellano-Aragonés, take a look at the one made by @peregrina2000 (who walked it this year) at: www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/my-camino-castellano-aragonés-2016.42195 At the end of that camino, she didn't take the Ruta de la Lana to reach Burgos but the Camino de San Olav what it's a bit longer but it can be more rewarding.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Has anyone completed a trek from Barcelona to Santiago or from Barcelona to the Camino Francis and then Santiago?

I completed the Camino Francis from SJPDP to Santiago in June and plan to start another trek this September and wanted to start in Barcelona. I know you can start in Montserrat and take the Cami de Sant Jaume part of the way, but I would like to go all the way from Barcelona on foot and then maybe end up back on the Camino Francis, and then of course back in Santiago? I know there are possibly a few ways to go? Any information or tips would be great.

If you have extra time, I would recommend starting about 8 days north of Barcelona, in either Port de la Selva or Llanca. That gives you a stroll through beautiful parts of Catalunya, including Vic and Girona, both of which are great cities. I wrote about that here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/my-cami-st-jaume-from-llançà-to-montserrat.36051/

That doesn't take you through Barcelona, though. Last year I met up with LTfit of the forum in MOntserrat. She had walked from Barcelona and found that the route was extremely difficult. And LT is someone who walks long and hard with no problems. There is also an "easy" ascent, but I don't know anything about Barcelona to Montserrat.

But from Montserrat, LT and I walked the Cami Catala through Huesca and up to Jaca. I put up a lot of info on that part, too. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...catalán-from-montserrat-through-huesca.36443/

I wouldn't say that the part before Huesca was my favorite camino, though of course parts are nice. From Huesca on, it's great!

There is another thread from a pilgrim who walked the Zaragoza branch of the Catalan, but for me the real downside to that alternative is that you would miss both San Juan de la Pena and the Pyrenees up above Jaca.

So, you have got a lot of choices! Buen camino, let us know what you decide. Laurie

Pick a route with Zaragoza! It is a city worth a visit. I took the train from Jaca while doing the Camino Aragones, but walking there will be a lot of fun. Buen camino!

Thanks everyone for all the good info!

I am flying in to Barcelona on September 14 and flying back November 2, so my time is limited, or I'd walk them all. Ha ha!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If you have extra time, I would recommend starting about 8 days north of Barcelona, in either Port de la Selva or Llanca. That gives you a stroll through beautiful parts of Catalunya, including Vic and Girona, both of which are great cities. I wrote about that here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/my-cami-st-jaume-from-llançà-to-montserrat.36051/

That doesn't take you through Barcelona, though. Last year I met up with LTfit of the forum in MOntserrat. She had walked from Barcelona and found that the route was extremely difficult. And LT is someone who walks long and hard with no problems. There is also an "easy" ascent, but I don't know anything about Barcelona to Montserrat.

But from Montserrat, LT and I walked the Cami Catala through Huesca and up to Jaca. I put up a lot of info on that part, too. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...catalán-from-montserrat-through-huesca.36443/

I wouldn't say that the part before Huesca was my favorite camino, though of course parts are nice. From Huesca on, it's great!

There is another thread from a pilgrim who walked the Zaragoza branch of the Catalan, but for me the real downside to that alternative is that you would miss both San Juan de la Pena and the Pyrenees up above Jaca.

So, you have got a lot of choices! Buen camino, let us know what you decide. Laurie
Thanks again Lauriel. I'd like to know more about the trek between Barcelona and Montserrat. You said LT said it was tough and I'd like to know why?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back