• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Barcelona to SJPP? Best way....a bit confused

Walk This Way

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Santiago (2014)
Trying to weed through the train sites and such, any suggestions for this newbie? Starting our walk in August!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Trying to weed through the train sites and such, any suggestions for this newbie? Starting our walk in August!
Hi "walk this way" I booked on the train from SANTS to Pamplona on www.renfe.com departing at 0930 and arriving at 1315. I did this online so have my ticket before I arrive in BCN. Staying at BCN Airport hotel which you can also book online before you travel or there is plenty of accom in Barcelona itself. I also arranged for Istvan from Corazon Puro Pension to pick me up from Pamplona train station, staying overnight and then they will drive me to SJPP in the morning, Their email address is corazonpuro@corazonpuro.es
Everyone has been very helpful especially on this blog by providing information for starting out. Good luck. I'm starting out in May this year.

Where would be arriving to? Consider bus systems as well; reliable, cheap, clean, comfortable, and often the best way to get to/from small towns along the Camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Bus strike going on in Spain now. Will last for weeeks according to news. Take a train. Many trains each day from Barcelona to Pamplona. From there you can take a (shared) taxi. Do a search on these forums: Many threads on how to make your way. Or wontact www.corazonpuro.es. I am using them in 2 weeks time.

when you get off the tr ain in Pamplona , we were rushed by about 8 people wanting to share a cab. we did with three others , i think we split 90euros included tip. Iwas the only non speaking Spainish, so please dont tell me if i was ripped off. the 2hr. drive was too much fun.

When we went, we took the train from Barcelona to Pamplona, then the bus from there to SJPDP. I had purchased all of tickets online before we went....we also went in Aug. Since you still have time before you leave, you will be able to monitor the bus strike situation to decide how to travel. However you get there, enjoy !

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Does this look right? Someone sent me this info.....

Train Barcelona/Bayonne : 7 hrs 54 minutes (leaves hourly)
$82
Train Bayonne/St.-Jean-Pier-de-port: 1 hr, 19 minutes (leaves every 4 hours)
$15

Travel Time 9 hours 15 Minutes
Cost $194 pp

Does this look right? Someone sent me this info.....

Train Barcelona/Bayonne : 7 hrs 54 minutes (leaves hourly)
$82
Train Bayonne/St.-Jean-Pier-de-port: 1 hr, 19 minutes (leaves every 4 hours)
$15

Travel Time 9 hours 15 Minutes
Cost $194 pp

It's a four hour train ride from Barcelona to Pamplona, and then a two hour bus ride to SJPDP. Who came up with the bright idea of taking the train to Bayonne and then another train to SJPDP? That would be like flying from LAX to JFK to get to Chicago, it doesn't make sense.

"Bajaracer" is correct. It is 4 hours from Barcelona to Pamplona, and the cost when I booked on Feb. 2nd was 23.80E. From Pamplona to SJPDP ,you can take a bus or share a taxi or better yet book a night at Corazon Puro at corazonpuro.es and they will pick you up at train station in Pamplona and take you to SJPDP the next morning.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We were gonna visit Bayonne since we were already over there, but I see your point. I'm not too fond of busses - great suggestions and prompt reply - THANK YOU! :)

So can I just purchase tickets online with a credit card? I went to the train site, but it's super confusing, maybe I'm missing something....

You may be too early to buy online as you are looking at August. I was not able to get my ticket for April until Feb. Yes you can purchase with a credit card, make sure you let your credit card company know you are making an overseas charge if you are from USA or they may block it. The process on Renfe.es is much improved and almost painless.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back