• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Barcelona to SJPP in March

Yu Hsuan

Time of past OR future Camino
From March to April, 2022
Hello! I’m Yu Hsuan from Taiwan and I’m planning to do Camino Francés from March to April this year!

However, until now I still have trouble finding the most efficient way to travel from Barcelona to SJPP in March, probably because it’s still off season. So I’m wondering if anyone knows any way to get there?

What I’ve found are:

1. Barcelona- Pamplona (by train)
Pamplona-Roncevalles (Bus by Autocares Artieda, I still couldn’t reach them to make sure there’s daily buses running….)
Roncevalles-SJPP (with taxi, I’m trying to check for the price, does anyone has experience?)

-> I know there should be buses run by ALSA directly from Pamplona to SJPP since March but I just couldn’t find it on its website….

2. Barcelona to San Sebastián (with train, buses and underground with at least 5 transfer times)

Thank you in advance for you help!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi, and welcome to the forum @Yu Hsuan.
Rome to Rio is your friend in this instance:

Good luck, and Buen Camino.

All the best,
Paul
Hello Paul!

Thank you for replying.
I've also tried RometoRio already but when I set the date on the beginning of March, it always shows that there're no buses or so.....

Hello Paul!

Thank you for replying.
I've also tried RometoRio already but when I set the date on the beginning of March, it always shows that there're no buses or so.....
Hi,
Here is the link for trains scheduled from 1 March:

It’s relatively inexpensive. You might wish to go to the train station and get a ticket in person.

All the best,
Paul

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi,
Here is the link for trains scheduled from 1 March:

It’s relatively inexpensive. You might wish to go to the train station and get a ticket in person.

All the best,
Paul
Hi Paul,

Thanks for responding again.
Yes, I've also found the train from Barcelona to Pamplona but the problem is the trip after,
it seems like I could only either take a taxi or transfer all the way through San Sebastián to SJPP.....

The bus to SJPdP will not run until April. See

This company attempts to collect passengers to share the ride and costs of a Pamplona to SJPdP trip.

Buen camino.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
During our third camino frances, we flew from the US to Barcelona, spent one night there, then took a train directly to Pamplona. Spent one night there, then took a bus to St Jean. This was in Sept, 2019. For our other three CFs, we've travelled US to Madrid, train to Pamplona, then in 2015 and 2017 caught an Alsa bus from Pamplona to St Jean. Like you, last fall we were unable to make reservations for a bus from Pamplona to St Jean, so we hired a taxi. It was a good experience, but expensive - around 100 euros for the two of us. It was raining and he dropped us off in front of our hotel, so I gave the driver a 10 euro tip. Bob

Hello! I’m Yu Hsuan from Taiwan and I’m planning to do Camino Francés from March to April this year!

However, until now I still have trouble finding the most efficient way to travel from Barcelona to SJPP in March, probably because it’s still off season. So I’m wondering if anyone knows any way to get there?

What I’ve found are:

Pamplona-Roncevalles (Bus by Autocares Artieda, I still couldn’t reach them to make sure there’s daily buses running….)
Roncevalles-SJPP (with taxi, I’m trying to check for the price, does anyone has experience?)

-> I know there should be buses run by ALSA directly from Pamplona to SJPP since March but I just couldn’t find it on its website….

2. Barcelona to San Sebastián (with train, buses and underground with at least 5 transfer times)

Last summer taxi fare from Pamplona airport was 120 euro. I shared the ride to Roncesvalles for 80e, and then paid 40e for driver to take me to St Jean. Yesterday 2 of my friends traveled from Pamplona train station to St Jean. They had some trouble getting the taxi because the drivers did not want to go to St Jean. They eventually got a taxi all the way, but I do not know the price.

What I’ve found are:

From my friends who taxied from Pamplona train station to SJPP yesterday:
$150 on Sundays, $130 on Saturday and maybe slightly less on weekdays. Only 90 minutes ride which worked for our schedule. Not every driver will do the drive, but just ask if they do and if they don’t they will gladly point out a cab that will.
Our driver Roberto (in his young 70’s) called his wife early in the ride to say he would be late for Sunday supper; she was none to please.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Last summer taxi fare from Pamplona airport was 120 euro. I shared the ride to Roncesvalles for 80e, and then paid 40e for driver to take me to St Jean. Yesterday 2 of my friends traveled from Pamplona train station to St Jean. They had some trouble getting the taxi because the drivers did not want to go to St Jean. They eventually got a taxi all the way, but I do not know the price.
Thanks for replying! It seems like taxi would be the only effective yet expensive way now. I've searched for a bus that runs between Pamplona to Roncesvalles: https://www.autocaresartieda.com/?scc=roncesvalles
but I really don't know if it runs since neither do they answer my calls nor my email. I'll try to reach them and see if it works, I'll share with everybody who also needs it :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

What I’ve found are:

I just did it a few days ago. Barcelona to Pamplona train was around 60€….left at 9:30 and arrived at 1:30pm. Then you have to commute to the bus station either a 30min walk or public transport (I think line 9 leaving the train station). There wasn’t anyone selling tickets at the bus station when I arrived but at 4pm the bus arrived and you pay the driver around 5€. When we arrived at Roncesvalles the lady at the pensión asked for a taxi and we were 6 people. It took 40 min and each of us paid 10€. I guess if you went alone it would be around 50€ so you probably want to see if anyone else would like to go. We arrived at SPPP around 6:15pm. Hope that helps. I did it on a Saturday. I just don’t know if they have a Sunday bus. All the best!

I just did it a few days ago. Barcelona to Pamplona train was around 60€….left at 9:30 and arrived at 1:30pm. Then you have to commute to the bus station either a 30min walk or public transport (I think line 9 leaving the train station). There wasn’t anyone selling tickets at the bus station when I arrived but at 4pm the bus arrived and you pay the driver around 5€. When we arrived at Roncesvalles the lady at the pensión asked for a taxi and we were 6 people. It took 40 min and each of us paid 10€. I guess if you went alone it would be around 50€ so you probably want to see if anyone else would like to go. We arrived at SPPP around 6:15pm. Hope that helps. I did it on a Saturday. I just don’t know if they have a Sunday bus. All the best!
oh wow! Thanks for this up-to-date information! Is the bus you took from Autocares Artieda? or which bus did you take? Thank you again and Buen Camino!

The bus to SJPdP will not run until April. See

This company attempts to collect passengers to share the ride and costs of a Pamplona to SJPdP trip.

Buen camino.
The pass over from SJPDP does not officially open until April 1 because of snow, that is why the bus doesn't run to SJPDP. If the authorities say the path is closed and you do it anyway, I have heard you can be fined if you have to be rescued. One woman had to be rescued on May 9, 2018 because of snow. The Valcarlos route may be open but the bridges and trail were heavily damaged and treacherous in 2018 from a bad winter. We had to detour to the highway. We are leaving for BCN on March 24th. We will see the Familia Sagrada, Montserrat, and the Dali museum then take the Renfe to Pamplona and wait there until we call the Pilgrims office to see if the pass is open then head over to SJPDP on April 1 by bus (if the pass is open)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Just to be clear, even when the walking path via the Napoleon route is closed the road from Roncesvalles to SJPdP is almost always open and so busses and other traffic can almost always travel between these two villages.

Welcome to the forum! This is the place to ask all your questions!

You could consider adding a thread to this section, and adding the prefix Ride Share.

If you can't make arrangements in advance, always watch out for other people wearing backpacks and ask them if they are going to St Jean.

Most read last week in this forum

I have been incredibly inspired by so many stories of loss, pain, diagnosis, or other stories that tug at my heart strings, but one pilgrim, since lost in the threads here, was an 83 year old man...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back