• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Barcelona to SJPP question..

twocanucks

I will be walking the camino in April but I am wondering what the best route is to get from Barcelona to SJPP. Any advice would be greatly appricated! Thanks

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Re: Barcy to SJPP question..

It is a long way from Barcelona to St Jean but there are two options for getting there:

1) Get a train to Bayonne http://www.renfe.es (10.45 hours) - then a bus to St Jean: http://www.sncf.com

2) There is a bus from Barcelona to Pamplona - Vibasa: http://www.vibasa.es . There are usually 5 bus connections daily.
There are also 3 trains to Pamplona daily: see http://horarios.renfe.es/hir/index.jsp? ... CE&D=80100 .

With three trains daily, consider taking the night train at 22:00 - about 80 euro - and sleep all the way to Pamplona. You get into Pamplona at 05:34 and will be able to get a taxi to St Jean with Caroline's Express Burricot. She picks people up from the bus station. Email her: apcaroline@hotmail.com

At the Barcelona airport, leave the secure area and walk through the sky tunnel to the left to the Cercania. It will take you to Sants Estación. Sants Estación has both the train station and the bus station you need.

Thanks for that reply....you are right it is a stretch and so we have decided to take a bus to pamplona and hope to make it to Santiago in five weeks....do you think that it is doable in that time frame?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I arrived in Barcelona on Aug. 24 2009 13.10. Took the bus to the Centro (maybe there is a bus direct to the bus station?), taxi to the Sants Bus Station, and bus at 15.15 to Pamplona (5 1/2 hours), just in time to find the municipal albergue that gave me a credential and a bed. Started walking next morning. Easy. Bus fare was 54 Euros. From Pamplona I used 31 days to Santiago, and I didn't rush it. Perfectly doable.

It should take about three weeks walking from Barcelona to get to Puente la Reina, if you cheat and take the train from Santa Maria de la Pena to Jaca-- 23 days otherwise. Unless you have a particular reason to take the day's walk east, I would suggest skipping Pamplona, and just head west.

twocanucks said:
hope to make it to Santiago in five weeks....do you think that it is doable in that time frame?

5 weeks = 35 days
780 kms/35 days = 22 kms per day.
22 kms/day / 4 kms/hr = 5.5 hours walking per day.

If you bump up your kms per day to 25, you will have 4 extra days, either as rest days along the way, or tourist days in Santiago.

Many many pilgrims walk 22 to 25 kms per day.

You have enough time to walk all the way to Santiago.

Bon voyage
David, Victoria, Canada

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
oursonpolaire said:
It should take about three weeks walking from Barcelona to get to Puente la Reina, if you cheat and take the train from Santa Maria de la Pena to Jaca-- 23 days otherwise. Unless you have a particular reason to take the day's walk east, I would suggest skipping Pamplona, and just head west.

Actually, the OP was asking about getting to Pamplona from Barcelona by public transport....and then walking from Pamplona. They have 5 weeks to go from Pamplona to Santiago (not Barcelona to Santiago).

grayland said:
oursonpolaire said:

Actually, the OP was asking about getting to Pamplona from Barcelona by public transport....and then walking from Pamplona. They have 5 weeks to go from Pamplona to Santiago (not Barcelona to Santiago).

I should have put an emoticon/smilie on my post!

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.