• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Barcelona to Somport

camino07

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances x5, Portuguese VdlP12, Sanabres, Aragones, Norte,Salvador,Primitivo, VdlP 17,Madrid18Norte
I will be starting the Aragones 4th May and would love some advice on getting to Somport from Barcelona. Can I get a bus or train straight from Barcelona or would I be better to go via Pamplona to Jaca first. I hope to walk back from Somport to Canfranc Estacion on the first night.
Another question ..does anyone have a recommendation for a reasonable hotel in Barcelona. I have been looking at Hotel Cortes which looks good.
Hopefully the path will be repaired by May . I am so unfit now and starting to get serious about training .
Heather

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
From the Renfe site:
Aragon

The Renfe train network serving Middle Distance passenger transport by rail in Aragon and communicates this Community with the communities of Castilla-La Mancha, Castilla y León, Catalonia, La Rioja, Navarra and Valencia.

Journeys

Here are all Middle Distance Renfe lines originating in the Community of Aragon

For full schedules and prices, go to our general schedule located on the top of this page, and clicking on the name of the train, you will have access to information about each tour stops, and the schedule passing through them.

Calatayud - Zaragoza (Avant)
Zaragoza - Huesca
Zaragoza - Huesca - Canfranc
Zaragoza - Teruel - Valencia
Zaragoza - Caspe - BCN
Zaragoza - Arcos de Jalon - Madrid
Zaragoza - Logroño - Castejón
Zaragoza - Lleida
Zaragoza - Pamplona, ​​Vitoria

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
There are trains almost hourly from Barcelona to Zaragoza. The current schedule from Zaragoza to Somport seems to be:
Tren / Recorrido Salida Llegada Duración
15640 REGIONAL 06.40 10.50 4 h. 10 min.
15642 REGIONAL 15.29 19.34 4 h. 05 min.
The fare is 15.25E.

Thanks Falcon for your info. I really couldn't walk from Barcelona. I guess I was thinking Jaca was closer. Gave myself a fright looking at Google earth,the area seems so isolated. Thought I read somewhere that there was a bus from Barcelona to Jaca and then hopefully easy to get to Somport.
I am all booked up now so the Universe will assist me.Fingers crossed!:)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Bus from Zaragoza to Jaca on ALOSA for 15.80 Euro:
IDA
Origen Zaragoza Central
Destino Jaca

06:30- ZARA. EST. C.
09:10 .- JACA
RUTA
ALOSA
NORMAL

08:30- ZARA. EST. C.
11:00 .- JACA
RUTA
ALOSA
NORMAL

11:00- ZARA. EST. C.
13:30 .- JACA
RUTA
ALOSA
NORMAL

14:00- ZARA. EST. C.
16:30 .- JACA
RUTA
ALOSA
NORMAL

15:30- ZARA. EST. C.
18:00 .- JACA
RUTA
ALOSA
NORMAL

17:00- ZARA. EST. C.
19:30 .- JACA
RUTA
ALOSA
NORMAL

19:00- ZARA. EST. C.
21:30 .- JACA
RUTA
ALOSA
NORMAL

Great info on the buses,thanks Falcon.
Excuse my ignorance of the area but does one have to go through Zaragoza from Barcelona?
If I knew how to end with a blushing smiley I would !!

does one have to go through Zaragoza from Barcelona?
I think so. Generally, in Spain you have to go to the big place to get to the little place! It is "hub and spoke" except between big cities (or if the small place is on the direct route between the big cities). Somport is the "end of the line," so has transit only from the nearest larger place, Jaca for the bus and Zaragoza for the train.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Given a choice between the bus and the train, I'd do the bus!
The buses in Spain are incredibly clean, comfortable, and wonderful for sightseeing!
They also generally get to the destination quicker than the train... although I did enjoy my train ride from Santiago to Vigo and back to Leon in 2009.

Eroski on Somport:
Reaching Somport

Get to Jaca

Jaca is communicated via the N-330 with Zaragoza and Huesca , and Pamplona on the N-240. As for regular lines, depart daily from Zaragoza and Huesca Jaca direct buses. RENFE offers regional trains and a day that connect Madrid with Zaragoza and Jaca.

Reaching Somport

To reach the top of Somport have to take a bus from the station Jaca , located on Avenida Jacetania, s / n.

The Commonwealth Alto Aragón Valley handles this service.

There are up to five output frequencies with Jaca time : 8:25 h, 12:00 h, 14:45 h, 19:35 h. and 21:45 h. Times may have small modifications in the summer but always kept the 5 frequencies.
You can check the timetables in Jaca Tourist Office , tel 974 36 00 98 .

Until Jaca can be reached by bus from Zaragoza, Huesca and Pamplona with the company Alosa: http://www.alosa.es . Phone: 902 210 700 .

By train

From Zaragoza get a regional train to Canfranc. It has two daily but can vary: at 6:59 and 15:35. Once you can climb Canfranc Somport with the same bus from Jaca.

The round trip cost is 13.45 euros .

Both from Madrid and Barcelona can travel directly into high speed train to Zaragoza and Pamplona.
Huesca is also connected directly with Madrid.

More information http://www.renfe.es . Phone: 902 320 320 .
Translation by Chrome, so don't blame Eroski!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
That site for Jaca is just what I need. You are wonderful Falcon x
Also thanks Annie for your input.I do prefer the bus to see the scenery. I think I am all set now .I will ask Santiago to send some fellow pilgrims. :)
Heather

Thanks Falcon for your info. I really couldn't walk from Barcelona. I guess I was thinking Jaca was closer. Gave myself a fright looking at Google earth,the area seems so isolated. Thought I read somewhere that there was a bus from Barcelona to Jaca and then hopefully easy to get to Somport.
I am all booked up now so the Universe will assist me.Fingers crossed!:)

Hello from Berlin. I am in the same position if not to say dilemma. My husband and I have booked a flight to Barcelona and we want to get to Jaca or the Somport-Pass somehow. It seems to get difficult. I am glad I found this group and hope to get some advice, too. :) I can only repeat your last sentences. :)

Renfe operates a regional train 2 or 3 times per day from Zaragosa to Canfranc International Station. That puts you about 5 km from the frontier (which I assume is the height of land in the pass)
http://www.renfe.com/index.html

There are multiple trains daily from Barcelona to Zaragosa

Bus service Jaca ... I get this when looking for 'estacion de autobuses de Jaca'.
http://alosa.avanzabus.com/index.jsp

Last edited by a moderator:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Last year we took early train from Barcelona Sants to Zaragosa then bus to Jaca(,bus station is in same building as train station). Next, bus to Somport arriving around 3pm in time to walk back to Estacion Canfranc to shorten next day's walk.
Aragones is a wonderful Camino I'm sure you will love it!

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back