• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Barcelona to SPJDP

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Been asked and answered multiple times, as recently as last week! In short, bus (cheaper/slower), train (comfy ride) or plane all go to Pamplona. Check out Rome2Rio website or app

Search past posts for a deeper discussion as well as step-by-step wats to get into Barcelona city.

Eugene and Andrea Shalom Welcome to the Forum and Greetings from Jerusalem! Let's try and break this down, hopefully you start out for SJPP after a day or two in Barcelona - do go visit the Romans underneath the cathedral, do go down to the beach to sea Frank Gehry's gefiltte fish, enjoy the Ramblas and especially the market there, and do sample the tapas. Moving on - the logitics are difficult but not insurmountable arriving in Barcelona hot to trot, bus/train/plane to Pamplona->bus/taxi to SJPP makes for a l-o-n-g day. Now for the hard part, bright and early next morning you are in SJPP everyone is up and about ready to run up the mountain - if you have reserved place with Jean-Jacques at Orisson you should be all right - jet lag + Barcelona + logistics + straight through to Roncevalles at 25k not easy even if the weather is good. You may walk into Pamplona several days later feeling...well...overwhelmed with another 700+-k ahead of you. Pamplona is sweet town don't hesitate to take half a day off just to refocus and rejuvenate - the Rocal albergue in Cizur Menor will be more than happy to take you in - it's a lovey place with a lovely host -and next day strike out with new dedication and strength. Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am taking a 3:30pm train Barcelona Sants to Pamplona, staying overnight, then either finding another peregrino/a to share a taxi with or taking the afternoon ALSA bus to St. Jean. Overnight there, then start walking the next day. 😁 Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am taking a 3:30pm train Barcelona Sants to Pamplona, staying overnight, then either finding another peregrino/a to share a taxi with or taking the afternoon ALSA bus to St. Jean. Overnight there, then start walking the next day. 😁 Buen Camino!
If you have time and can get in, spend the night at Orisson, it is a great start to your Camino

Davidmm has it right-book a place at Orisson. That first day out is one marked by great amounts of excitement, great amounts of second thoughts, lots of new people to meet and talk with, all making it very difficult to hit your usual pace as you face a long tiring ascent and worse just when you are really tired a steep descent down to Roncesvalles. A stop at Orisson will allow you to work the kinks out of your boots, rearrange your backpack (poring don cats and dogs and your rain gear is at the bottom-you're wearing way too much and boiling or not enough at all, a chance to sit, drink, eat, and begin to develop the camaraderie you will form with the same people with whom you will meet again and rejoin again all along the Camino. Nothing to worry about, but speaking for myself, I like to start off slow and sure, giving myself several days to acclimatize, to build up steam and to hit my comfortable walking speed. In my opinion, going all out from day one is a recipe for trouble later on.

Any thoughts on the best way to get from Barcelona to SPJDP...?
9.30 train from Barcelona to Pamplona. Arrive 1.30. Taxi to bus terminal. 2.30 bus to SJ, arrive at about 4.15. Let your albergue, if booked ahead, that you’re arriving on that bus.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
When you ride that bus or taxi backwards, over the Pyrenees via the Valcarlos Route (sort of) be GLAD you are walking back. I have walked the Napoleon twice and driven from Spain to SJPdP (last August) The drive or ride is NOT for the faint of heart... it is a VERY windy road...and most of the drop offs are SHEER.

Enjoy the ride...

We are flying into Barcelona in June 2022 and then trying to get to SJPDP in one day after a couple of days of sightseeing. Is it still reasonable to get to SJPDP in one day from Barcelona?

Possible? Yes. Reasonable? Well, that’s subjective! 4 hour train ride to Pamplona, then a one hour bus or private taxi to SJPdP. Or a nine hour bus ride from BCN to SJPdP. Not terrible if you don’t mind sitting for that long.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We are flying into Barcelona in June 2022 and then trying to get to SJPDP in one day after a couple of days of sightseeing. Is it still reasonable to get to SJPDP in one day from Barcelona?
My wife and I have twice caught the 9.30 train from Barcelona to Pamplona, then a taxi to the bus depot before the bus to St Jean. We find it fine. Plenty of time to make your connections and you can book both the train and bus before you depart.

I was looking for the bus schedule and could not find it. I believe it is ALSA that we take but SJPDP does not seem to be listed. Tried a few variations of spelling. Any tips? I am likely missing the obvious.

I was looking for the bus schedule and could not find it. I believe it is ALSA that we take but SJPDP does not seem to be listed. Tried a few variations of spelling. Any tips? I am likely missing the obvious.
Two tricks here.
1) You do have to spell St as Saint.
2) ALSA puts its schedule up three months (or so) in advance. Since it does not run in the winter months you will not see a schedule for awhile even if you used their online tool perfectly. Keep trying; maybe make it a Sunday thing.

By the way, the service is/was by CONDA but ALSA now owns CONDA in full or in partnership with another company and online booking is through the ALSA website. I'm mentioning this to keep you from trying to book from CONDA if you happen to see online that it also services SJPdP.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Two tricks here.
1) You do have to spell St as Saint.
2) ALSA puts its schedule up three months (or so) in advance. Since it does not run in the winter months you will not see a schedule for awhile even if you used their online tool perfectly. Keep trying; maybe make it a Sunday thing.

By the way, the service is/was by CONDA but ALSA now owns CONDA in full or in partnership with another company and online booking is through the ALSA website. I'm mentioning this to keep you from trying to book from CONDA if you happen to see online that it also services SJPdP.
Thank you. That is very helpful.

A few years ago, I wanted to start in SJPdP but I don’t like riding buses in the mountains so didn’t want to take a bus from Pamplona to Saint Jean. I flew from Toronto overnight to Paris, then I took a train from the airport to Dax, stayed overnight at a nice little hotel close to the train station, then the next morning I took a bus a short distance to a little town where the French Camino passed through and started my two-day walk to SJPdP. It was a good warmup and a beautiful walk.
This may sound complicated, but it was very easy and it was the best solution for me to get to the Camino Frances in Saint Jean.

A few years ago, I wanted to start in SJPdP but I don’t like riding buses in the mountains so didn’t want to take a bus from Pamplona to Saint Jean. I flew from Toronto overnight to Paris, then I took a train from the airport to Dax, stayed overnight at a nice little hotel close to the train station, then the next morning I took a bus a short distance to a little town where the French Camino passed through and started my two-day walk to SJPdP. It was a good warmup and a beautiful walk.
This may sound complicated, but it was very easy and it was the best solution for me to get to the Camino Frances in Saint Jean.
MaryLynn,
Was that "little town where the French Camino passed through" Saint-Palais?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back