• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Barcelona to St. Jean Pied de Port

barryg

Time of past OR future Camino
June: Camino Frances from Pamplona
Hello fellow pilgrims!

I thought I had posted and received several replies to the following question, but I cannot find it under my threads, so I'd like to ask it again:

I fly into Barcelona on May 31. I will probably stay a day, but my main goal is to get to St. Jean de Pied as quickly and cheaply as possible. Should I take a train, bus Bla Bla car or what? I would walk if I had time (I only have one month to complete the CF) Where are the bus and train stations located? I am also asking if there is any cheap lodging in Barcelona that members PERSONALLY know about. The prices in my Rough Guide to Spain are terrible. I do have a HI hostel card and can search on the HI hostel and Hostel World sites, but I am looking for a personal recommendation. Thanks in advance!

Barry

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello fellow pilgrims!

I thought I had posted and received several replies to the following question, but I cannot find it under my threads, so I'd like to ask it again:

I fly into Barcelona on May 31. I will probably stay a day, but my main goal is to get to St. Jean de Pied as quickly and cheaply as possible. Should I take a train, bus Bla Bla car or what? I would walk if I had time (I only have one month to complete the CF) Where are the bus and train stations located? I am also asking if there is any cheap lodging in Barcelona that members PERSONALLY know about. The prices in my Rough Guide to Spain are terrible. I do have a HI hostel card and can search on the HI hostel and Hostel World sites, but I am looking for a personal recommendation. Thanks in advance!

Barry

Hi!

Take RENFE train to Pamplona (there are several initiaries every day, some of them cheap rate) and from there either bus or a cab and share with other pilgrims. Find a hostel near the train station in Barcelona, in area of "El Sants" or "Les Corts" or just near "Pl. Espanya" is always handy, for walking distance to the train station. I know a few hostels in the area and I can come back with advices

Thank you for your help. I am taking a night flight and hope to just hop on a train and get to the trail head in St Jean Pied de Port. That way I avoid having to stay in a hostel in Barcelona. Does that sound like a good plan? I'd love to see a little of Barcelona, but I only have 30 days, so I'd like to start as soon as possible walking.

My flight gets in about 9:00 in the morning. I see that there are several trains to Pamplona during the day. How is public transportation from the airport to Barcelona Sants?

Thanks for any further advice.

Barry

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Why start in Spain, travel to France, and then walk back in to Spain again? Just get the train to Pamplona and start walking. I also remember you posing this question previously but presumably under a different log-in. That little town in southern France is not the 'trail head', it's just a little town in southern France where pilgrims on foot from all over Europe began the final stage of their journey to Santiago. Note, the final stage. It was a convenient crossing place into Spain, via Valcarlos, avoiding the higher mountain crossing at Somport and the dubious pleasures of the Barbary pirates of the coastal routes, the malarial swamps of the Landes and worse.

If you only have 30 days to walk ( and travel) why spend days messing about with public transport: start walking in Pamplona. Or walk from Barcelona for 30 days and come back another time to finish your pilgrimage.

Well, I had actually thought of that, but then how do I get my Pilgrim Passport stamped? I have one that I purchased from the Confraternity, and (please excuse my extreme ignorance) I thought I needed to initiate the passport in St. Jean Pied de Port. Actually, I would love to leave from Barcelona on foot, but would like to connect, eventually with the Camino Frances. Possible? I want to take advantage of the Pilgrim rates at hostels and I thought I needed to have a valid Pilgrim Passport to do that.

Also, it takes about 4 days to walk to the trail, are there intervening hostels that wouldn't break my budget?

Thanks so much for taking the time to explain all of this to me.

Barry

You can get your Credencial stamped anywhere and wherever you start walking. Barcelona airport, Pamplona cathedral, Pamplona railway station, any bar or cafe in Pamplona if that's where you start. Albergues are open to pilgrims who arrive on foot or bike or even donkey but everyone has to start somewhere and all that first stamp does is show where you started walking. The Albergues in Pamplona will grant you a bed for the night if you need one because everyone has to start somewhere. Those 100,000 pilgrims who start in Sarria every day don't travel to StJdP to get a first stamp. Nor do those adventurers on the Via de la Plata or the Madrid or the Portugueses.
Get yourself to Pamplona, or Roncesvalles or Burgos or Logrono or where ever you can get yourself to and walk into the nearest Town Hall, Cathedral or Bar and ask for a Sello (stamp) and start walking. And when you get to an Albergue at the end of the day they will let you in and they will find you a bed and they will treat you like the pilgrim that you will be.

Perhaps this a moment to mention that there are no rules on the camino other than those of civility and that if you want to claim a Compostella you must have walked the last 100k into Santiago (or biked 200km or flogged your Donkey with a blanket)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Just go for it! Start walking from Barcelona, avoid the masses on the CF, enjoy marvelous places like Montserrat, walk until you have to go home and re-start your pilgrimage where you left it another year. Here some infos (use Google translate or similar if you don't speak Spanish):

https://www.gronze.com/camino-santiago-barcelona
https://www.gronze.com/camino-santiago-catalan

As for your pilgrims passport, it is valid anywhere on any camino, heck, I have even used one where there was no Camino (but that is another story). The way from Barcelona is well marked and has enough accommodation options to make it feasible and stamps for your Credencial you get pretty much everywhere (where you sleep, bars, churches). Remember Robert Frost's famous poem?

I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Buen Camino, SY

@Tincatinker Could you please have a moderatorial word with Ivar and ask if we can be allowed to post multiple likes (up to 10 perhaps) or absolutely huge ones like you get on facebook messenger when we come across posts like yours above? :):)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
@Tincatinker Could you please have a moderatorial word with Ivar and ask if we can be allowed to post multiple likes (up to 10 perhaps) or absolutely huge ones like you get on facebook messenger when we come across posts like yours above? :):)

MEGA LIKE FOR BOTH OF YOU!!! SY

MEGA LIKE FOR BOTH OF YOU!!! SY
Dear SYates,

To be clear, are you saying that there is Camino that goes through Barcelona?

The links you gave me seem to imply this. Looks like I have an alternate plan. I was going all the way to SJDP, now I can leave from Barcelona! What a great bit of information! Thanks so much.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

I want hearts ...please please please can we have some HEARTS too....:) But indeed yes also from me multiple likes.

Why start in Spain, travel to France, and then walk back in to Spain again? Just get the train to Pamplona and start walking. I also remember you posing this question previously but presumably under a different log-in. That little town in southern France is not the 'trail head', it's just a little town in southern France where pilgrims on foot from all over Europe began the final stage of their journey to Santiago. Note, the final stage. It was a convenient crossing place into Spain, via Valcarlos, avoiding the higher mountain crossing at Somport and the dubious pleasures of the Barbary pirates of the coastal routes, the malarial swamps of the Landes and worse.

If you only have 30 days to walk ( and travel) why spend days messing about with public transport: start walking in Pamplona. Or walk from Barcelona for 30 days and come back another time to finish your pilgrimage.

This was very good advice, thank you! I think I will walk from Pamplona. Others have counseled to walk from Barcelona, but I think as a first time pilgrim, I would like to walk the Camino Frances. I would also like to extend that to Finistere (if I am spelling that correctly). Thanks again for your advice. I had it welded into my consciousness that I HAD TO start from St Jean Pied de Port.

Yes, @barryg There is a way that goes via Barcelona. There is even here on the forum a section dedicated to it https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/forums/cami-catalan-cami-st-jaume.105/

And here some more sites (you will need Google Translate for them, sorry):

http://www.camisantjaume.com/
http://amicsdelspelegrins.org/
http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/los-caminos-de-santiago/catalan-por-san-juan-de-la-pena/ Description starting in Montserrat

Happy planning and Buen Camino, SY

Thanks so much for your information. I think I will
Yes, @barryg There is a way that goes via Barcelona. There is even here on the forum a section dedicated to it https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/forums/cami-catalan-cami-st-jaume.105/

And here some more sites (you will need Google Translate for them, sorry):

http://www.camisantjaume.com/
http://amicsdelspelegrins.org/
http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/los-caminos-de-santiago/catalan-por-san-juan-de-la-pena/ Description starting in Montserrat
Happy planning and Buen Camino, SY

As I was saying: I am delighted that walking in Europe is an acknowledged option for getting about. I am excited to start my journey and may very well decide, by the time I get to the airport, to walk directly from Barcelona. At least now I have the option, thanks to your post. Thanks so much!

Barry

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Sometimes an old post is still relevant and helpful for an old Pilgrim. I’m returning to the Camino after an absence of 8 years and with only three weeks availability I’m planning on walking my favourite sections. Yes why do I need to miss an entire day travelling and starting in SJDP. Australia to Madrid then train to Pamploma. Oh researching for my journeys is always time consuming but it’s part of the fun.
Thanks Pilgrims.

Thank you for your help. I am taking a night flight and hope to just hop on a train and get to the trail head in St Jean Pied de Port. That way I avoid having to stay in a hostel in Barcelona. Does that sound like a good plan? I'd love to see a little of Barcelona, but I only have 30 days, so I'd like to start as soon as possible walking.

My flight gets in about 9:00 in the morning. I see that there are several trains to Pamplona during the day. How is public transportation from the airport to Barcelona Sants?

Thanks for any further advice.

Barry
Hello, We are two seniors and one college student. Your plans are similar ours. Texas to Barcelona, end of May, 2023. What transportation did you take to St Jean Pied de Port? Did you stay over in Barcelona? Any advice is welcome.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, I'm searching for any transportation ways to to get to sjpp from Biarritz. Would anyone let me know how to get to? I would like taking bus or train. Thank you.
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
Hi All, My girlfriend and I are planning to do the Camino Primitivo. I'll be honest here; I'm not entirely sure how far we'll get, but Caminoways says that the entire route can be done in 15...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back