• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Barcelona to St. Jean

Z_May

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances
Hi there,
My name is Z and I will be walking my first camino starting March 21st/April 1st.

I am wondering what the best/easiest way is to get from the Barcelona airport to the starting point at St. Jean?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi there,
My name is Z and I will be walking my first camino starting March 21st/April 1st.

I am wondering what the best/easiest way is to get from the Barcelona airport to the starting point at St. Jean?

I have this on my YouTube account, but here is some advice: - see the video if you want

Getting to SJPP from BCN: From Los Angeles (LAX) to Barcelona (BCN) After we landed in Barcelona, we took a taxi to the main train station in Barcelona; Barcelona Sants. The train from Barcelona takes up 4 hours to get to Pamplona. To purchase your train ticket from Barcelona to Pamplona, go to the Renfe train website - you can select the "Welcome" version (English)http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/ To purchase your bus tickets go to the Conda website:http://www.conda.es/eventos.php?tipo=...The Spanish version of the website is working, but not the English one. Once you arrive in Pamplona, find the EstaciĂłn De Autobuses (bus station) called "CONDA". The bus station looks like an Apple Store from the outside and you have to walk downstairs into the bus terminals. All underground, and it is very misleading if you don't know what you're looking for, so I recommend that you look at the outside on Google before you get there. If you walk to the "bus station" from the Pamplona Train Station, here are the Google directions:https://goo.gl/maps/ox3PHqrM5LM2 Our bus was the "ALSA" bus to Pamplona. Make sure you go to the ticket window to ask what terminal number you should wait at for the bus. Pamplona buses during the summer depart at 10, 12, 1430 and 1730 hours for SJPP. Plan accordingly. The bus ride takes almost 2 hours to get to SJPP. Ironically, you will be riding through the towns that you'll be hiking through when you begin your Camino, The French Way. Please note: this is just my own opinion, but if I would have known this prior to purchasing my train and bus tickets in advance, I would have begun my Camino in Pamplona and saved a few days. That's just me talking! Questions? Comment below or PM me, Buen Camino my friend!

Last edited by a moderator:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Another option to consider (if you want to keep what you want to see on the Camino a surprise) is take a cheap flight from BCN to the French airports near St Jean. I guess you could also keep your eyes closed on the bus ride :p

wow, this description is so much more clear than other posts i've read (and gotten lost in), thank you so much for sharing it with me.
Enjoy your Camino and please don't hesitate to ask any other questions.
:)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi there,

I walked the Camino Frances in June 2017 and also flew into Barcelona. I found the easiest way is to take the RENFE from Barcelona to Pamplona and then shared a taxi from Pamplona railway station to Saint Jean. The taxi ride took 90 mins and total cost (shared with others was 90 Euros). Hope that helps. Mark

I walked the Camino Frances in June 2017 and also flew into Barcelona. I found the easiest way is to take the RENFE from Barcelona to Pamplona and then shared a taxi from Pamplona railway station to Saint Jean. The taxi ride took 90 mins and total cost (shared with others was 90 Euros). Hope that helps. Mark

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
wow, this description is so much more clear than other posts i've read (and gotten lost in), thank you so much for sharing it with me.
Hi Z,The post is spot on. We are arriving around the same time in SJPDP. I am flying in to BCN staying a couple days booked the train on Renfre website to Pamplona. After reading another post I was well prepared for the site to crash and it did not disappoint me but I eventually got the ticket. A few minutes ago I booked the bus to SJPDP from Pamplona on Alsa., very easy. 22 Euros (2 Departures) I took the 1430 bus The Alsa ticket also reminded me to print the ticket. The Conde site was more confusing as the english site doesnt work. Good luck

€149,-
Edit: My apologies. My map below is about a year old. I was going to add a link to Pamplona's street bus website and when getting to the line #9 webpage I noticed that they have since rerouted the line to the north of La Ciudadella so the track I have is no longer correct and the exit point is different.

I've created an interactive map showing how to get from Pamplona's train station to its bus station using the street bus (line #9) that stops outside the train station. Line 9 gets you close to the bus station but does not stop there. The bus station is mainly underground and its entrance is a long low glass building. The map has a red pin for you to click to get a pop-up with general instructions and other pins to give you detailed instructions for each point and a picture.

Interactive map
https://mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4....3190,-1.638937||42.813576,-1.634903||line=off

Last edited:
I've created an interactive map showing how to get from Pamplona's train station to its bus station using the street bus (line #9) that stops outside the train station. Line 9 gets you close to the bus station but does not stop there. The bus station is mainly underground and its its entrance is a long low glass building. The map has a red pin for you to click to get a pop-up with general instructions and other pins to give you detailed instructions for each point and a picture.

Interactive map
Rick Wow thank you !

My apologies. My map above is about a year old. I was going to add a link to Pamplona's street bus website and when getting to the line #9 webpage I noticed that they have since rerouted the line to the north of La Ciudadella so the track I have is no longer correct and the exit point is different.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back