• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Barcelona

Lida Valk

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi friends of the Camino, August 30th I'm flying to Barcelona every other day to start my Camino to SdC. I have already walked several routes and gained the necessary experiences. Makes a lot of sense again. I first walk to Monserrat and will walk via Lleida, Zaragoza to Logrono to continue via the CF. in Igualada I now read that the pilgrim's hostel is closed. Does anyone have an alternative to this? It is also possible that the albergue is closed in August and reopens on 1 September. All information is welcome. Greetings Lida.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
So, for anyone (like maybe Eze if he is continuing with his Catalán plans for the fall) looking for places to stay in Igualada or nearby, here is what I found in addition to the albergue:

Canaletas http://restaurantcanaletes.com/ (has a pensión in addition to the restaurant, but looks to be on the outskirts)
Casa Ramón -- not too much info: http://www.infohostal.com/guia/barcelona/igualada/alojamiento/13992/pension-casa-ramon.html
Casa Gonzalez -- 15 Carrer de Sebastiá Artés (though its google streetview does not look at all inviting)
(This may be outdated, but it's a start.)

No idea about the albergue, but you might want to contact the Amics de San Juan (http://amicsdelspelegrins.org/) or the albergue itself at 938 04 55 15. I find that texting or using whatsapp helps overcome language barriers. (The Amics supply credenciales In Barcelona at the Parish of Sant Jaume, Carrer Ferran nº 28, from 10 am to 1 pm and from 5 pm to 7 pm every day of the week.)

Otherwise, there is the hotel America on the north side of Igualada where a single can be had for 48 euro. I have stayed there and, while dated, the room was comfortable and the staff very pleasant. I have also found a more centrally located pension, Casa Gonzalez at Carrer de Sebastià Artés, 15, +34938031153 but it does not look open to me.

As the stage between Montserrat and Igualada is arduous for a first day (33km by google maps) and unless you leave Montserrat fairly early, you might want to look at staying at El Celler de la Guardia, Sant Pau de la Guàrdia (https://elcellerdelaguardia.cat/ +34937710323), where they have an albergue in an out building. I contacted them through their FB page. I saw the albergue rooms, which looked comfortable. The innkeeper was very hospitable (and sympathetic, as I had been pickpocketed in the train up to Montserrat from Barcelona). This would break it up to a Sant Pau to Igualada stage of 15km and one of 18-19km from Montserrat to Igualada.

For the rest of the route, there is a rather too long for my taste stretch alongside carreteras (esp after Bujaraloz) so watch your water, but it gets to be much more fun after Zaragoza. Both Lerida and Zaragoza have impressive cathedrals (although the security staff at the old cathedral in Zaragoza seem to be Franco leftovers), and it is a very interesting part of Spain. Pilgrims are infrequent but not unknown, and I found the locals to be friendly and hospitable.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
On the camino 9 kilometers before Igualada is the town of Castellolí. It has a new albergue with 10 beds although it only has 5 available right now due to covid precautions. It appears to be open. The details you want to know can be found using this short thread:

With a shorter walk you could spend more sightseeing time in Monserrat.

Buen camino.

On the camino 9 kilometers before Igualada is the town of Castellolí. It has a new albergue with 10 beds although it only has 5 available right now due to covid precautions. It appears to be open. The details you want to know can be found using this short thread:

Buen camino.
See
Pilgerherberge

See
Pilgerherberge
I recalled that there was only one albergue in town so I used streetview to check out Pilgerherberge. I recognized the winepress outside the door. This was the municipal albergue that was replaced by the one in the rectory. The pictures of the inside match too.
Screenshot_20210820-065623.png

Edit: Maybe it is a cider press. I saw many more orchards on the Camino Catalan than vineyards.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi friends of the Camino, August 30th I'm flying to Barcelona every other day to start my Camino to SdC. I have already walked several routes and gained the necessary experiences. Makes a lot of sense again. I first walk to Monserrat and will walk via Lleida, Zaragoza to Logrono to continue via the CF. in Igualada I now read that the pilgrim's hostel is closed. Does anyone have an alternative to this? It is also possible that the albergue is closed in August and reopens on 1 September. All information is welcome. Greetings Lida.
Hello - I have no information other than that I have emailed the hostel in Igualada 3 times now with no response. We will be landing in Barcelona on sept 9 starting to walk to Muxia on the 10th - we will be going the northern route through Huesca joining the CF in Puente la Reina. First very excited for your journey - buen camino! Second I would appreciate any information on your walk as we will be right behind you :) and I can share any information I have found if you would like. I ended up booking Airbnbs in Terrassa and Tarrega as I could not find anything in those towns as well and they both responded right away and seem like great places!

My father and I are both fully vaccinated Canadians and are getting excited about the opportunities soon to be presented - buen camino!

Buen camino.
Thank you all muchly for the info

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We will be landing in Barcelona on sept 9 starting to walk to Muxia on the 10th - we will be going the northern route through Huesca joining the CF in Puente la Reina. First very excited for your journey - buen camino! Second I would appreciate any information on your walk as we will be right behind you :) and I can share any information I have found if you would like.
Just this morning, on another thread, I posted some advice about the last couple of stages on the Catalan via Huesca.

Last edited:

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back