• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Barcelona

Denzil

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan (2017)
I’m planning to spend a few days in Barcelona en route to SJPDP. Any recommendations for accommodation in Barcelona? Small hotel or hostel is my preference but somewhere a little special in some way, friendly, clean and in the old city or close. Thanks

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I stayed in a lovely terrace suite at Hotel 1898 just off the Ramblas. It was convenient to everything we wanted to see. I was disappointed with the restaurant for breakfast but made up for the cold eggs by drinking all of their complimentary cava :D

Edit: sorry not a small hotel!

I’m planning to spend a few days in Barcelona en route to SJPDP. Any recommendations for accommodation in Barcelona? Small hotel or hostel is my preference but somewhere a little special in some way, friendly, clean and in the old city or close. Thanks
Might be worth putting your price point in!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My first time in Barcelona I stayed in Le Méridien Barcelona. Amazing hotel 1 block off La Ramblas and yet you can hardly hear any commotion. So you are literally in the middle of that scene! ... Cheap it is not

our second time we were in HOTEL ILUNION BEL ART ( Carrer de Lepant). this one is in a very quiet residential area but walking distance to Park Güell, the Sagrada Familia and the Sant Pau Hospital.The hotel is perfectly connected, with easy access to public transport, with two metro lines nearby: L4 (Alfons X Station) and L5 (Sant Pau | Dos de Maig Station), as well as the main urban bus routes. Technically L2 is not that far either (right by La Sagrada .... only 15 mins away)
this one while still not exactly an Albergue bunk bed is cheaper than the former.
Once can be at La Ramblas in 20 mins by Metro, on Barcelonetta - 30 mins...and if walking is your thing - about 1 hour walk from La Ramblas or Plaza Espagna.

Hostal Orleans .In front of Estacion de Francia and close to Park Ciutadella.
El Born barrio.

Close to Plaza Catalunya but in a quiet sidestreet is Hotel Nouvel.

Bit more expensive than the first one but also quieter. Very charming.

Last edited:
My first time in Barcelona I stayed in Le Méridien Barcelona. Amazing hotel 1 block off La Ramblas and yet you can hardly hear any commotion. So you are literally in the middle of that scene! ... Cheap it is not

our second time we were in HOTEL ILUNION BEL ART ( Carrer de Lepant). this one is in a very quiet residential area but walking distance to Park Güell, the Sagrada Familia and the Sant Pau Hospital.The hotel is perfectly connected, with easy access to public transport, with two metro lines nearby: L4 (Alfons X Station) and L5 (Sant Pau | Dos de Maig Station), as well as the main urban bus routes. Technically L2 is not that far either (right by La Sagrada .... only 15 mins away)
this one while still not exactly an Albergue bunk bed is cheaper than the former.
Once can be at La Ramblas in 20 mins by Metro, on Barcelonetta - 30 mins...and if walking is your thing - about 1 hour walk from La Ramblas or Plaza Espagna.

I stayed in one of Ilunion hotels last year in Bilbao, I wish I had known about the company earlier as I would have booked some of my other stays in their hotels. 40% of their staff (minimum) have disabilities and all of their hotels are equal access. I appreciated their commitment to their vision of providing rooms and job opportunities to everyone. I wish more hotels would do the same.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Where you stay in Barcelona isn’t as important as the proximity to the metro system. The metro is very efficient and inexpensive. That being said Barcelona is a very walkable city as it’s generally flat. I’ll only take the metro for time critical appointments. Otherwise I walk. If you stay back toward Park Güell you’ll be close to the start of the Camino Catalan.

I don’t recommend El Raval as a neighborhood to stay in unless you’re very good about situational awareness as the rate of pickpockets etc is higher there and along the Rambla.

Let me know if you have any further questions 😁

I was planning to stay in Hotel Praktik Bakery.
Little charming old place above a delicious bakery...

Twice we stayed at Hostel Central and Basic Universitat in El Raval. It’s very inexpensive (30 Euros), very clean, very funky, and on a great street very near Ramblas.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We stayed in Barcelona for three nights in October 2019 to do some sight seeing prior to an extended family cruise. I do not recall the cheapie guest house lodging where we stayed as it was not a "Camino" walk for me, but it had a good location near Las Ramblas, etc.
A highlight was meeting @Rick of Rick and Peg 😃 and he came to our guest house and also met hubby and son before he and I went to breakfast. Possibly he remembers the name.🤔

Thank you for your detailed response. Meridian fabulous but out of my league!!😁

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I stayed in a lovely terrace suite at Hotel 1898 just off the Ramblas. It was convenient to everything we wanted to see. I was disappointed with the restaurant for breakfast but made up for the cold eggs by drinking all of their complimentary cava :D

Edit: sorry not a small hotel!
Thank you Lynn Sounds good. I’ll check it out

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We stayed in Barcelona for three nights in October 2019 to do some sight seeing prior to an extended family cruise. I do not recall the cheapie guest house lodging where we stayed as it was not a "Camino" walk for me, but it had a good location near Las Ramblas, etc.
A highlight was meeting @Rick of Rick and Peg 😃 and he came to our guest house and also met hubby and son before he and I went to breakfast. Possibly he remembers the name.🤔
Pensión Ciudadela. It looked very pleasant. Google Maps has 309 reviews for it averaging 4.3 but rooms, service and location each get at least 4.7.

Chris and I were to meet at the neighboring restaurant Navia early on the Saturday morning that I was to start walking the Camino Catalan. On Thursday myself, Peg and a friend had independent sightseeing days so I took a long walk and started by trying to find the Navia in daylight. When I came upon a park I knew that I had missed it and pulled out my phone to check Google Maps. I saw that I had a notification from Chris that the family had just checked in to the pension. I was just a block away so I paid the weary travelers a short, unexpected visit.

Last edited:
Pensión Ciudadela. It looked very pleasant.
Rick, you either have a great memory or take detailed notes. Thanks for replying and you have brought back a nice memory in spite of me being "weary" after the long flight, or as my mom used to say, "drug through a knothole".
P.S. Our coffee meet up was very nice. I recall you running out after the man who stole the cup and saucer.😅

Last edited:
Rick, you either have a great memory or take detailed notes.
Google Maps' timeline feature took the notes.

P.S. Our coffee meet up was very nice. I recall you running out after the man who stole the cup and saucer.😅
Not quite. I already had one too many scuffles in Barcelona (with pickpocket number one).

My memory is going up to the counter to order a cup of coffee for a fellow and returning to finish breakfast with you. The counterman handed the ceramic cup and saucer to the man who then headed out (there weren't any seats outside though). He was called back and the counterman took the cup, probably to pour it into a paper cup but the man must have figured the coffee was being taken away. They pulled the cup back and forth, spilling half the coffee but the counterman lost and the cup disappeared out the door with the "customer".

A pleasant morning with you then and I'm hoping to someday have a mini-camino with you, Laurie, and your other Illinois pilgrim friends. Our camper hasn't spent a night in Illinois yet.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
A pleasant morning with you then and I'm hoping to someday have a mini-camino with you, Laurie, and your other Illinois pilgrim friends. Our camper hasn't spent a night in Illinois yet.
Sounds like a great idea, Rick!

P.S. You have a far better memory than me. I really thought you went out after that guy; maybe we just discussed it...either way, it was a weird occurance to witness.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hostal Orleans .In front of Estacion de Francia and close to Park Ciutadella.
El Born barrio.

Close to Plaza Catalunya but in a quiet sidestreet is Hotel Nouvel.

Bit more expensive than the first one but also quieter. Very charming.
Thanks for your suggestions

Twice we stayed at Hostel Central and Basic Universitat in El Raval. It’s very inexpensive (30 Euros), very clean, very funky, and on a great street very near Ramblas.
thanks Tali, i will check this out.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Where you stay in Barcelona isn’t as important as the proximity to the metro system. The metro is very efficient and inexpensive. That being said Barcelona is a very walkable city as it’s generally flat. I’ll only take the metro for time critical appointments. Otherwise I walk. If you stay back toward Park Güell you’ll be close to the start of the Camino Catalan.

I don’t recommend El Raval as a neighborhood to stay in unless you’re very good about situational awareness as the rate of pickpockets etc is higher there and along the Rambla.

Let me know if you have any further questions 😁
thank you Keith, appreciate the advice. i too love to walk

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
Hi - I've been waiting to book 2 June from Santiago dC to Madrid - finally the tickets are out! Funnily enough the luxury seats were cheaper than economy seats, so I took one.
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back