• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Barcelos to Ponte de Lima - 34.7 km

dfox

Time of past OR future Camino
Two quick questios:

Mr. John Brierley and the "Gzone" site suggest the walking distance between Barcelos to Ponte de Lima is ~34 km.

#1 - Is it doable for not-so-strong / regular walkers managing this stage?
#2 - Is there accommodation in the mid-point of this stage, e.g., Balugaes, in case we couldn't manage the distance?

Thanks for any input.

DF

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I was reading the same book and we saw this before. Me and a few of the girls at work are doing this walk as a food and wine culture / party / keep fit thing with someone who has done the main route last year and we talking about this distance too. There's no way we can walk this far as we aim to stop in every bar we see for wine, so we have booked a townhouse in Balugaes (Casas da Quinta da Cancela) between these two places in the guide book. So we are mixing places with beds where we need to use our sleeping bags and normal hotel places that fit us all in a room.

Two quick questios:

Mr. John Brierley and the "Gzone" site suggest the walking distance between Barcelos to Ponte de Lima is ~34 km.

#2 - Is there accommodation in the mid-point of this stage, e.g., Balugaes, in case we couldn't manage the distance?

Thanks for any input.

DF
For question #1, I did a couple of 34 km. stages on the CF. It was doable, but made for a long day. For question #2, there is Casa Fernanda and Casa de Valinhas near Lugar do Corgo, shortening this stage to around 20 km.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm sure I stayed in a muni albergue in a place called Tamel which was about 10k after Barcelos. From memory though so please check my facts!

Well, it's only one day of 34km, not every day for many days, so very doable for a regular walker. I have never been into sports or hiking/terkking, no prior training, didn't have proper runners/boots for the road, still managed that stage well. The climb is not that bad, walking poles helped a lot as well as a company of a fast long-legged Belgian guy who led the way and talked a lot :) Surprisingly had energy left to go exploring the town after I arrived to Ponte de Lima - it's one of my favourites on the Portuguese way so far. You can stay in the middle though if you want to cut it short: there is a fabulous albergue Casa Fernanda right in between Barcelos and Ponte de Lima. Very popular, you might need to book in advance.

Two quick questios:

Thanks for any input.

DF
We just walked the route 2 days ago and stopped at Cancela at a lovely spot. Not inexpensive but wonderful rooms great dinner and breakfast.(Quinta da Cancela). We are decent walkers and I think the whole way would have done us in. It is very hot here at the moment so that takes its toll.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Two quick questios:

Thanks for any input.

DF
I stayed in the albergue in Tamel - Sao Pedro Fins (p. 137 in the Brierley guide). From there it was 24.2 km to Ponte de Lima.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back