• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Barcelos to Ponte de Lima: learn from my stupidity

gyro

Time of past OR future Camino
Caminos: Frances, Ingles, Portugues, de Norte
Via(s): de la Plata, Mozarabe
Dear all,
Just to prove how stupid a grown man can be....

A few days ago, I walked the gentle 16km from Rates to Barcelos, arriving before noon. I decided to continue along the path in the direction of Ponte de Lima. I would - I felt sure - pick up accommodation along the way. There are a number of quintas and "bars with accommodation" mentioned in various places.

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

I finally arrived in Ponte de Lima at 8.30. Luckily, I got into the first hotel in the town. 50km (Rates '-Ponte de Lima) in one day is just plain stupid. I should be old enough and experienced enough not to leave myself with such a long plod. My advice therefore is obvious --arrange for accommodation or transport before you set off from Barcelos.

It is one thing to journey in faith, quite another to commit oneself to stupid physical demands.
older, if not wiser,
Gyro

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Gyro - I'm sorry this happened to you. As you have discovered the accommodation on the Camino Portugues isn't as developed as the Camino Frances and really the route has to be done in stages - and I agree is it often best to phone ahead to book accommodation. The problem with using the albergue at Rates is the short day ahead to Barcelos so I can well understand your eagerness to carry on. I see from the CSJ guide that there is accommodation at the Quinta de Albergaria which from memory is about 12 kms short of Ponte de Lima:

Albergaria - Facha
4990-600 Ponte de Lima
Telephone:
(+351) 258 942 241
(+351) 966 492 309
Fax:
(+351) 258 943 063
E-mail:
quintadealbergaria@sapo.pt
Web page: http://www.quintadealbergaria.com

But that doesn't do you much good now. I hope the rest of you pilgrimage goes well.

What's the weather like?

John

JohnnieWalker said:
I hope the rest of you pilgrimage goes well.

What's the weather like?

John

Dear John,
Many thanks for posting this information. I am sure it will be useful for other pilgrims.
I have been thoroughly enjoying the pilgrimage. The weather has been quite wet, with rain showers most days. The Spanish press --surprise, surprise-- are making a story out of this, stating that there is a condition of "yellow alert" in 14 provinces.

And on we go
Gyro

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
This is a demonstration of the advantage of having a good guidebook. My copy of the Brierley guide says of the route from Barcelos to Ponte de Lima "This is the longest and most arduous of all the stages . . .(and)there is no alternative accommodation directly on the route."

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back