• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Barmy as a Bedbug

NeeT

Time of past OR future Camino
June/July 2016
Hi all!

So I am starting my Camino this coming Wednesday, flying into Lourdes for a couple of days and then taking the train to SJPdP on Friday. I will then start walking to Orisson on Saturday. As the beginning gets closer, more and more questions are popping up in my head and I am becoming as 'Barmy as a Bedbug" (in the wonderful words of Roald Dahl :p). I'm hoping that you kind folk can put me at ease :)

1. Since I will be flying into Lourdes, in my Pilgrim Passport should I write that my starting point was Lourdes? Or does it have to be the point from which you start to walk?
  2. If I do put Lourdes, does anyone know of where I may be able to get my first stamp there?
  3. I have booked my place at Orisson, therefore what is the latest time would you recommend leaving SJPdP if I would like to have a wonder around first?
  4. With regards to treating my belongings with Permethrin, should I do this with absolutely ALL of my clothing, silk liner and backpack (inside and out?!)? And can I wear the clothing straight after they have been dried after treatment or should I give them a wash first?
Random questions, I know, but this is my current confused mind frame :rolleyes:
Anyways if anyone is staying in SJPdP on Friday or heading out on Saturday, I'll be the Peregrina with the burgundy backpack dowsed with random badges, and a more distinct 'Barmy as a Bedbug' badge (which I hope is taken in good humour :p).
Much love x

Attachments

• WP_20160530_20_23_31_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160530_20_23_31_Pro.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 19
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi all!
  1. Since I will be flying into Lourdes, in my Pilgrim Passport should I write that my starting point was Lourdes? Or does it have to be the point from which you start to walk?
  2. If I do put Lourdes, does anyone know of where I may be able to get my first stamp there?
  3. I have booked my place at Orisson, therefore what is the latest time would you recommend leaving SJPdP if I would like to have a wonder around first?
  4. With regards to treating my belongings with Permethrin, should I do this with absolutely ALL of my clothing, silk liner and backpack (inside and out?!)? And can I wear the clothing straight after they have been dried after treatment or should I give them a wash first?

Hi NeeT,
Your camino actually started when you made your decision to travel:). But your starting point on your credencial is the point where you start walking (or biking).

About Orisson, it depends, of course, on how quickly you walk or want to walk up to Orisson (there are a million photos to take!) but you'll be fine if you leave around noon or shortly after. It's fun to be at O. and talk to all of the people and get to know a few.

Can't say much about Permethrin. In 4 caminos I've been lucky and never encountered a bedbug. But the stuff is poison. I would never put it on clothes that touch my body. The bottle should have some directions about that.(??)

I just looked up some of the dangers and it said be very careful not to inhale it when you spray it. (Also don't eat dirt that it has been sprayed on!?)
Buen camino

Some answers/suggestions:

Since I will be flying into Lourdes, in my Pilgrim Passport should I write that my starting point was Lourdes? Or does it have to be the point from which you start to walk?
The point you start to walk, which could be Lourdes if you want to.

If I do put Lourdes, does anyone know of where I may be able to get my first stamp there?
If you start walking in Lourdes any church, your accommodation or even the tourist office will provide a stamp.

I have booked my place at Orisson, therefore what is the latest time would you recommend leaving SJPdP if I would like to have a wonder around first?
That really depends on your walking speed/fitness and the weather (wind!) the pilgrims office can advice you.

With regards to treating my belongings with Permethrin, should I do this with absolutely ALL of my clothing, silk liner and backpack (inside and out?!)? And can I wear the clothing straight after they have been dried after treatment or should I give them a wash first?
I don't use Permethrin, but others might give you their opinions.
Buen Camino, SY

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Starting point will be SJPP, where you start walking.

Begbugs: spray the outside of your backpack, the outside of your sleeping bag/liner and, if you carry one, bed sheet. But not on your clothes - keep some sort of barrier netween you and the chemical.

Orisson is only 8km away, you'll be there in 2-4 hours depending on how fast you walk while taking the incline into account. If most people do the whole 27 km to Roncesvalles and get there mid to late afternoon Orisson should not be an issue ;0).

If you expect to arrive in Orisson late in the afternoon, it would be advisable to call them and let them know when you expect to arrive.

Aye Aye NeeT

I think we're all assuming that you're not going to walk to SJPdP from Lourdes but take some form
of transport ? In which case put your starting point in the passport as SJPdP. But do get some stamps
from Lourdes to record that this was the spiritual start of your pilgrimage, so to speak. What a brilliant
place to get ready for the walk.

When you arrive in Santiago and go to collect your credencial just point out that your pilgrimage
started in Lourdes but you started walking from SJPdP.

Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Aye Aye NeeT

I think we're all assuming that you're not going to walk to SJPdP from Lourdes but take some form
of transport ? In which case put your starting point in the passport as SJPdP. But do get some stamps
from Lourdes to record that this was the spiritual start of your pilgrimage, so to speak. What a brilliant
place to get ready for the walk.

When you arrive in Santiago and go to collect your credencial just point out that your pilgrimage
started in Lourdes but you started walking from SJPdP.

Buen Camino

Perfect Introibo! That's just the info I was looking for. Yes, I'll be getting the train from Lourdes; not quite brave enough to walk from there with my extremely limited understanding of French :)

SHOUTING usually works :)
For some reason when I was in Spain and struggling to be understood I switched to French, which is
another language I don't speak. So they'd switch to French...... then I'd be back to English. Fortunately
I'm fluent in waving arms

Pax et bonum

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I soak all my outer clothes in permethrin closely following directions. I do NOT treat my underwear or socks. I soak my sleep sak and backpack as well. The only thing I wash afterwards is the sleep sak, turned inside out. The only item that I spray is my boots, but not while wearing them.

Hi all!

So I am starting my Camino this coming Wednesday, flying into Lourdes for a couple of days and then taking the train to SJPdP on Friday. I will then start walking to Orisson on Saturday. As the beginning gets closer, more and more questions are popping up in my head and I am becoming as 'Barmy as a Bedbug" (in the wonderful words of Roald Dahl :p). I'm hoping that you kind folk can put me at ease :)

Random questions, I know, but this is my current confused mind frame :rolleyes:
Anyways if anyone is staying in SJPdP on Friday or heading out on Saturday, I'll be the Peregrina with the burgundy backpack dowsed with random badges, and a more distinct 'Barmy as a Bedbug' badge (which I hope is taken in good humour :p).
Much love x
Ok I walked to Orisson on my first day making an early start and was there by mid morning. Tempted to keep going but bad weather approaching so thankfully stayed and watched the crazy storm outside. It's a nice place to stay. From SJPDP you can leave easily mid morning as heaps of people who booked gave up their spots to keep walking. So sleep in and enjoy your first day and the lovely views.
I didn't spray anything but did have a silk liner only. No sleeping bag. I never got a single bed bug bite but I used aeroguard on my arms and a bit on my pillow at night. I did find bugs in my liner when I washed it on my return. I can only assume they couldn't get through the silk to get at me when I was sleeping.

[QUOTE="NeeT, post: 421338, member: 52156"
  1. With regards to treating my belongings with Permethrin, should I do this with absolutely ALL of my clothing, silk liner and backpack (inside and out?!)? And can I wear the clothing straight after they have been dried after treatment or should I give them a wash first?[/QUOTE]

To confuse you further, here's an extract from the page on bedbugs from the Illinois Department of Health.(http://www.idph.state.il.us/envhealth/pcbedbugs.htm)
-—--------------------------
The ongoing use of pyrethroids has undoubtedly contributed to the resistance we see today in some bed bug populations.

To varying degrees, bed bugs have been successfully managed using pyrethroids, but more recently with non-pyrethroid pesticides to which bed bugs show little or no resistance.

Relying solely on the application of pesticides to control bed bugs ignores the integrated approach to successful pest control that also should include excluding bed bugs from their hiding places, killing them with heat/steam/cold, and altering human behavior to help contain bed bugs and prevent their spread.
------------------------------------
In other words, use some common sense about prevention and don't let this be a major concern on your Camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back