• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Base Layer

Jerri Kerley

Time of past OR future Camino
09/2017-11/2017
I am walking the Camino Frances, and beyond, mid September thru mid November 2017. Will I need a thermal top and bottom? I plan to bring a rain suit and light weight down jacket. My thought is that if I layer, I should be fine. Thoughts? (I would prefer to hear from Pilgrims that have walked the Frances during that time frame.) Thanks!

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
When I walked the Primitivo in May I had thermal top and bottom. I used them to sleep in, wore the bottom under my skirt in the afternoon when it was chilly. I also wore them under my rain pants in May on the Portuguese. Top was my "1 long sleeve tshirt". Very versatile pieces, even in warmer temps than mid-November. I say yes.

Not so much in September but you'll be up on O'Cebriero late-October/early November and the possibility of snow is very real. It is also likely that Albergues won't have any heat on that early in the year so could be quite cold over night so Anemone's idea of wearing the base layer to bed comes strongly into play. I don't know if you are a warm or cold person by tendency but myself, I am a warm person so I'd only take a long sleeve Merino wool base layer shirt as my legs don't really get affected by the colder weather.
Good luck and Buen Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Walked the Frances from 15 Sept till 29 Oct in 2015. Carried silk thermals. Wore them once to sleep in when in an albergue without heating and no blankets on a particularly cold night. I did have a lightweight sleeping bag. Wore the bottoms twice walking for a few hours on very frosty mornings towards the end of October. Otherwise no but would probably have worn them more if walking into November. I took them again when I walked this year in early spring and wore them more often. I considered them my insurance policy. And before anyone jumps at me, I also had a real travel insurance policy. I just had more faith in immediate returns from my own version.;););)

Last edited:
Not so much in September but you'll be up on O'Cebriero late-October/early November and the possibility of snow is very real. It is also likely that Albergues won't have any heat on that early in the year so could be quite cold over night so Anemone's idea of wearing the base layer to bed comes strongly into play. I don't know if you are a warm or cold person by tendency but myself, I am a warm person so I'd only take a long sleeve Merino wool base layer shirt as my legs don't really get affected by the colder weather.
Good luck and Buen Camino

Jazero, I had not considered snow! This Texas girl might be out of her element:) (pun intended) Thank you for your advise.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My Wife and I use light weight smart wool. We live and hike in the mountains of Washington State. We did our Camino in Winter and the were perfect base layers. 1 pant base layer, 1 long sleeve and one short sleeve with a light zippered fleece and rain jacket. most of the time I would shed my fleece because it would to warm under my rain jacket. We walked through snow, sleet, hail and heavy rain. light weight layering is the best and I really like smart wool products. We slpt in them since there were some albergues without heat.

Jazero, I had not considered snow! This Texas girl might be out of her element:) (pun intended) Thank you for your advise.
Take a look at the historical temperatures along the route and plan accourtingly but be ready to call a Tony Romo audible when you are a week or so away from leaving. Coming from Texas I'm guessing you are going to feel the cold more than most. Better to bring too much than not enough & being cold.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.