• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Basic pilgrim experiences on the Camino Frances

Time of past OR future Camino
2016 SJPP-Logrono
2022 Leon-Sarria
2023 Frances
I've read with interest on this forum about the pilgrim experiences at Albergues S. Juan Bautista in Granon and S. Francisco de Asis in Tosantos. Are there similar albergues elsewhere on the Camino Frances?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Every albergue is different.
However if you are seeking religious/spiritual expériences perhaps you might find my list of active
Monasteries, Convents and Chapter Houses
on the CF which host pilgrims to be useful for your planning.

Prepared in 2015 this is not up to date but much is still valid.

Happy planning and Buen camino.

Last edited:
However if you are seeking religious/spiritual expériences perhaps you might find my list of active

Thank you!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Thank you! I just posted asking about monasteries along the way. This will be helpful!

I've read with interest on this forum about the pilgrim experiences at Albergues S. Juan Bautista in Granon and S. Francisco de Asis in Tosantos. Are there similar albergues elsewhere on the Camino Frances?
You can find similar ones in Parish albergues of:
Viana, Logroño (Santiago el Real), Bercianos del Real Camino, Burgo Ranero (Domenico Lafti), Foncebadon (Domus Dei)
The spirit you can find in those and other albergues depends mainly of the volunteers that are working there, sometimes it can be wonderful, sometimes not as good.
That said you can live amazing moments in many other places, private or public acomodations.
Please be aware that due COVID measures, all previously named albergues are currently closed, mainly in order of no compete with private albergues whom are the livelihoods of their owners, and because the volunteer hospitaleros, mainly retired people, are members of the high risk group.
Probably some of them will re open its doors at demands dictated.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Wonderful list @mspath. You are an invaluable resource. Even though I have about as much religion in me as a wall I still love the spirit and the experiences that I have encountered at monasteries and Convents. Do you know of a similar list for the VDLP. I always check Gronze when I walk but you can always miss one.

Don't know if this is your first Camino or not Cathy G but remember the wise words of mspath; "Every albergue is different". It is not the albergue it is the people you encounter and make memories with. I have stayed in really beautiful, clean and inviting albergues that to tell you the truth I can't remember a thing about. I have also stayed in some dark, cold albergues with basically no services that I can remember like it was yesterday because of the great people I met. Buen Camino

". It is not the albergue it is the people you encounter and make memories with. I have stayed in really beautiful, clean and inviting albergues that to tell you the truth I can't remember a thing about. I have also stayed in some dark, cold albergues with basically no services that I can remember like it was yesterday because of the great people I met
Likewise for the "boring" parts of the Camino. When I'm enjoying good conversation while I'm walking the scenery is secondary.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I think that Refugio de Manjarín is as basic as it comes. I haven't stayed there myself, but knew a couple of peregrinos who did.

Manjarin is at a basic level all its own. I stayed there in 2014 and it may have changed since then.

They serve dinner.
There is no running water. I didn't find out about this until mid-dinner.
There is no power in the hut/shack where you sleep. Can't recall if the "reception/store/kitchen" had it. I was there in July. So, it was pretty hot in the shack during the afternoon and early evening but cooled down at night. The sleeping shack smelled. Bad. Realized it was the mattress when I laid down. Then the smell was really bad. There are no sheets or pillowcases, unless you bring your own.

The mattresses are on top of wooden boxes that are next to each other - similar to huts in the Alps. There is also a loft with more "beds". It's a donativo.

Toilet was an outhouse across the road.

Dinner was outside under the thatched roof thing you see right in front and it was a beautiful setting.

Ahhhh, good memories. It was a helluva experience. I'm glad I stayed there. Once. I wouldn't go it again.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Refugio Ave Fenix in Villafranca del Bierzo can be a very special experience if the old patron gives you his ceremony of burning liqueur and praise, with all the lights turned off. Seriously a special evening. Also with communal meal. I will stay there next time I stop there. (did it two times already).

However, their website www.albergueavefenix.com is not currently up & running, so maybe they are another victim of the pandemic...

Manjarin is at a basic level all it's own. I stayed there in 2014 and it may have changed since then.

They serve dinner.
There is no running water. I didn't find out about this until mid-dinner.
There is no power in the hut/shack where you sleep. Can't recall if the "reception/store/kitchen" had it. I was there in July. So, it was pretty hot in the shack during the afternoon and early evening but cooled down at night. The sleeping shack smelled. Bad. Realized it was the mattress when I laid down. Then the smell was really bad. There are no sheets or pillowcases, unless you bring your own.

The mattresses are on top of wooden boxes that are next to each other - similar to huts in the Alps. There is also a loft with more "beds". It's a donativo.

Toilet was an outhouse across the road.

Dinner was outside under the thatched roof thing you see right in front and it was a beautiful setting.

Ahhhh, good memories. It was a helluva experience. I'm glad I stayed there. Once. I wouldn't go it again.
I walked by for the first time on a foggy chilly day in April 2015. I'd read in my Brierley (I think) that the toilet was an outhouse. I was glad it was early afternoon and so I was happy to "push on". That said, I can only imagine the vivid and unique memories those who have stayed there have had. In hindsight, I wish I had shared in those memories...possibly.🤔

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
That's where I stayed, in El Acebo, in the pilgrim section of the lovely hotel...twice.
All I'm saying is that one night out of forty staying at Manjardin wouldn't have been all that bad. 🤷

A few days further on, In Ruitelan, just a few km before the climb to O'Cebreiro is a very special albergue that I feel is worthy of a mention. I have stayed there twice and would happily stay again. You would walk by and hardly notice it and it looked nothing special from outside, how wrong I was: Albergue Potala Pequeña. The hospitality shown by Carlos and Louis is the very essence of the camino spirit, something that is becoming harder to find these days...

Refugio Ave Fenix in Villafranca del Bierzo can be a very special experience if the old patron gives you his ceremony of burning liqueur and praise, with all the lights turned off. Seriously a special evening. Also with communal meal. I will stay there next time I stop there. (did it two times already).

However, their website www.albergueavefenix.com is not currently up & running, so maybe they are another victim of the pandemic...
Ave Fenix is very much alive. It stayed open right through the pandemic!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It was at Santiago el Real that Elizabet sent us all further down the road with "¿Buen Camino? (a shrug) Mejor, vive una Buena Vida.

I try Elizabet, I keep trying...

The best, the very best Albergue on all the Caminos is that one where I lay my weary head at the end of the day. There are none better.

The ones that first came to mind for me were San Anton before Castrojeriz and San Nicolas before Itero de la Vega, already mentioned by Rebekah.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back