• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Basic Questions re Camino Salvador

GuyA

Time of past OR future Camino
Mid Sep 2022 I plan on walking the Camino Primitivo followed by Camino Salvador. I fully understand this is backward 😂 however the other option is not walking the Camino Salvador. Not prepared to give up on what seems a spectacular walk!

Few basic questions:

1) Is the official start of the Camino Salvador the Leon Cathedral or where the Frances and Salvador split off in Plaza Major? Seems logical it would be Leon Cathedral…

2) I have read much about the Benduenos Albergue. I understand that reservations will only be accepted if you are walking either from Pajares or Llanos de Someron. Anyone have a different experience?

3) Kind help received from a fellow Forum Member Islandwalker in regard to my GPS for Dummies question. I have the Wikilocs app and have downloaded 21 of the 23 tracks in Enders guide (omitted the 2 winter routes). So that is a little much 😂.

Planned stages and Enders tracks that I think I need

Day 1 - Leon to La Robla

- River Stage 1 track 27.07 kms
- Official route maybe if raining Stage 1 track 26.65 kms

Day 2 - La Robla to Poladura de la Tercia

- Stage 2 track 22.5 kms

Day 3 - Poladura de la Tercia to Benduenos or Campomanes (reservation question 2) above)

- Stage 3 track 30.22 kms

Day 4 - Benduenos or Campomanes to Mieres

- Stage 5 track 23.57 kms

Day 5 - Mieres to Oviedo

- Stage 6 track 18.78 kms

Does this seem reasonable to those who have used Enders tracks? Other tracks that I should consider instead!

Many thanks

Guy

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have read much about the Benduenos Albergue. I understand that reservations will only be accepted if you are walking either from Pajares or Llanos de Someron. Anyone have a different experience?
Hi, @GuyA,

This doesn’t make much sense to me. Llanos de Somerón is about 11 km from Bendueños, and Pajares is about 15. Those who come from Poladura will have walked almost 30. I would check on the source, because if anything it would seem like those walking short distances could not reserve. But I’ve never heard anything about who can and cannot reserve. I did not have reservations when I stayed there, but I did call Sandra the night before just to check on whether she would be there (well, I guess that makes it a reservation).

As far as the tracks go, I would just check to make sure that you can see the difference between the Munistiriu route which turns off the regular camino a km or so after Llanos de Somerón, and the “regular“ route. The Munistriu route is very pretty, but it is tough and adds a fair amount of elevation ascent and descent.

I would also check to make sure the stage from Bendueños to Mieres shows the new off-road route that goes under the highway at the gas station after Pola de Gordón. The old route went along the edge of a shoulder-less dangerous narrow truck route into Ujo. I imagine that Ender has updated his own tracks, since he is the one who marked the new route.

Not sure about your question whether the tracks seem reasonable. I never pay attention to whether the tracks I download coincide with the stages I am going to walk. So long as you have the whole route cobbled together on wikiloc, you can start and stop wherever you start and stop. But maybe I didn’t understand your question.

@islandwalker is our very own wikiloc whisperer. ;)

Hi, @GuyA,

This doesn’t make much sense to me. Llanos de Somerón is about 11 km from Bendueños, and Pajares is about 15. Those who come from Poladura will have walked almost 30. I would check on the source, because if anything it would seem like those walking short distances could not reserve. But I’ve never heard anything about who can and cannot reserve. I did not have reservations when I stayed there, but I did call Sandra the night before just to check on whether she would be there (well, I guess that makes it a reservation).

As far as the tracks go, I would just check to make sure that you can see the difference between the Munistiriu route which turns off the regular camino a km or so after Llanos de Somerón, and the “regular“ route. The Munistriu route is very pretty, but it is tough and adds a fair amount of elevation ascent and descent.

I would also check to make sure the stage from Bendueños to Mieres shows the new off-road route that goes under the highway at the gas station after Pola de Gordón. The old route went along the edge of a shoulder-less dangerous narrow truck route into Ujo. I imagine that Ender has updated his own tracks, since he is the one who marked the new route.

Not sure about your question whether the tracks seem reasonable. I never pay attention to whether the tracks I download coincide with the stages I am going to walk. So long as you have the whole route cobbled together on wikiloc, you can start and stop wherever you start and stop. But maybe I didn’t understand your question.

@islandwalker is our very own wikiloc whisperer. ;)
Thanks @peregrina2000 . As far as tracks go I am trying to cobble up a series of tracks as you suggest to complete the whole route.

Just not sure in some cases if I am picking the best one eg Stage 2 original route 22.5km or through the Barrancon and the Salve Cross 23.66…maybe thats worth the extra 1.1km or another route 23.22 kms…not quite sure what is different here.

Day 1 river route looks interesting…is that the experience of others as well?

Guy

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have read much about the Benduenos Albergue. I understand that reservations will only be accepted if you are walking either from Pajares or Llanos de Someron. Anyone have a different experience?

Ender also found this comment odd, but he decided to check directly with Sandra. She has no idea where that came from. If you are going to stay in Bendueños, from wherever you start, she would appreciate a phone call at least a day ahead, so that she will make sure to have bread and enough food for the wonderful meals she makes pilgrims.

One additional tidbit about Bendueños is that Sandra’s car has broken down and she can’t afford to repair it, so she can no longer drive down to pick you up in Herías. It’s only 1.5 km up to Bendueños, and sure it’s uphill and who likes uphills at the end of the day, but it will just make your arrival there more glorious!

Ender also found this comment odd, but he decided to check directly with Sandra. She has no idea where that came from. If you are going to stay in Bendueños, from wherever you start, she would appreciate a phone call at least a day ahead, so that she will make sure to have bread and enough food for the wonderful meals she makes pilgrims.

One additional tidbit about Bendueños is that Sandra’s car has broken down and she can’t afford to repair it, so she can no longer drive down to pick you up in Herías. It’s only 1.5 km up to Bendueños, and sure it’s uphill and who likes uphills at the end of the day, but it will just make your arrival there more glorious!
Thank you very much for clarifying this…very much appreciated!

Guy

1) Is the official start of the Camino Salvador the Leon Cathedral or where the Frances and Salvador split off in Plaza Major? Seems logical it would be Leon Cathedral…
The Francés and Salvador don’t split in the Plaza Mayor. They split in front of the Parador San Marcos, where there is a statue of a pilgrim. For the Francés, go over the river. For the Salvador, go around the side of the parador (the right side as you face it) to the little traffic circle with an airplane in it. It’s all very clear. If you walk from the Cathedral, you just need to make sure you go to that statue to see the split, otherwise you will continue across the river and be on the Francés.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The Francés and Salvador don’t split in the Plaza Mayor. They split in front of the Parador San Marcos, where there is a statue of a pilgrim. For the Francés, go over the river. For the Salvador, go around the side of the parador (the right side as you face it) to the little traffic circle with an airplane in it. It’s all very clear. If you walk from the Cathedral, you just need to make sure you go to that statue to see the split, otherwise you will continue across the river and be on the Francés.
Ths is where it starts...

Attachments

• PXL_20220421_064452116.jpg
    PXL_20220421_064452116.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 11
Thanks for the clarification…think I will just make it easy and find accommodation near the pilgrim statue in front of the Parador San Marcos and start from there.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.