A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Basque cider houses

Advertisment

Kurt5280

Crazy Enough To Try It Again!
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances SJPDP & Finisterre & Muxia 9/15 - Future: Camino del Norte 8/18 (All Mountain Bike)
Never saw anything like that...but if it was hard cider it would search it out on my next Camino.

Devon Mike

Camino(s) past & future
Frances, Finisterre & Muxia (2014, 2015, 2016 & 2018), Primitivo & Ingles (2017)
Sidra is very much a local product in Asturias and also Galicia. I have tried it in the Basque country too. Altogether it is a wonderful local experience.

Camino(s) past & future
First time pilgrim and walking solo. Leaving SJDP around April 5, 2018.
Sidra is very much a local product in Asturias and also Galicia. I have tried it in the Basque country too. Altogether it is a wonderful local experience.
Super! Thank you! I am going to try to find some of these cider houses.

oursonpolaire

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
2002, Toulouse/Aragon 2005, Cami S Jaume/Aragon 2007/9, Mont Saint Michel/Norte/Vadiniense 2011, Norte/Primitivo 2013, Norte/Primitivo 2014. Norte 2015, Cami S Jaume/Castellano-Aragonese 2016
The best, of course, is the cider sold at the side of the Camino at an honour stall. 35282547100_c2a5d5c979_o.jpg

Advertisment

Devon Mike

Camino(s) past & future
Frances, Finisterre & Muxia (2014, 2015, 2016 & 2018), Primitivo & Ingles (2017)
Enjoying sidra in Berducedo on the Primitivo last September. DSCF0456der.jpg

Bradypus

Antediluvian
Camino(s) past & future
Too many and too often!
Long time ago - more than 15 years ago - my wife and I had a great evening at one of the huge cider houses in the hills above Donostia. Long tables set in rows. Very simple menu - choice of fish or meat for the main course. Walnuts, cheese and membrillo as postre. And all the cider you wanted served in theatrical style from vast barrels. In Asturias cider is poured vertically at arm's length. Here it was poured horizontally! Basically everyone who wanted a top-up lined up in a row. A waiter turned a tap at the bottom of a vast cask and cider shot several feet across the room to be caught in a glass. A nod from the first customer to the second to step into his place. And so on down the line. Then the waiter turned the tap off. The next top-up taken from a different barrel to compare the taste. Huge fun!

Camino(s) past & future
First time pilgrim and walking solo. Leaving SJDP around April 5, 2018.
Long time ago - more than 15 years ago - my wife and I had a great evening at one of the huge cider houses in the hills above Donostia. Long tables set in rows. Very simple menu - choice of fish or meat for the main course. Walnuts, cheese and membrillo as postre. And all the cider you wanted served in theatrical style from vast barrels. In Asturias cider is poured vertically at arm's length. Here it was poured horizontally! Basically everyone who wanted a top-up lined up in a row. A waiter turned a tap at the bottom of a vast cask and cider shot several feet across the room to be caught in a glass. A nod from the first customer to the second to step into his place. And so on down the line. Then the waiter turned the tap off. The next top-up taken from a different barrel to compare the taste. Huge fun!
I must find this magical place as well. Thank you, everyone! Wish me luck finding these pockets of cider magic (I'm allergic to red wine, so I'm relieved/excited to learn of the cider tradition -- a small vice for me to enjoy!).

Thread starter OLDER threads on this topic Forum Replies Date
shefollowsshells Camino Frances 8
scruffy1 Camino Frances 6
Rambler Camino Frances 11
E Camino Frances 2

OLDER threads on this topic

Advertisement

Latest posts

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • February

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 18 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 67 16.9%
  • May

Votes: 105 26.4%
  • June