• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Basque wolves

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Not just the wolves. Also bear, vipers and wild boar on the Camino as well...
Aaaaaw, Mark, I refrained from making such a comment myself; now you've gone and done it. :confused:
What really concerns me is the griffon vultures. :eek:

BTW, welcome to the forum @Sandiepaul. Excuse us, please....we can be quite an irreverent lot. But we are good people nonetheless. :):)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Aaaaaw, Mark, I refrained from making such a comment myself; now you've gone and done it. :confused:
What really concerns me is the griffon vultures. :eek:

BTW, welcome to the forum @Sandiepaul. Excuse us, please....we can be quite an irreverent lot. But we are good people nonetheless. :):)
OK..ok. ha ha
Let me correct myself on this. Just jesting. Although all the aforementioned wildlife are native to northern Spain, it's highly unlikely one would ever see one while walking the Camino. I was just messing around when I mentioned it, and not trying to start rumors (something I just ranted about on another thread).
In fact, if one did see any wildlife like that, it would actually be pretty cool and one would be fortunate to do so.

I did a fair bit of back country hiking in the wilds of Canada and never saw a wolf ( however I did hear them at night ).

It would be your lucky day if you actually see a Spanish wolf ( the furry four legged ones ). They are shy animals and with the steady stream of human pilgrims passing through, they do their best to stay away.

When I walked the Camino Levante, I was with two French guys who knew everything there was to know about flora and fauna, or so it seemed to me. When the Levante merged with the Sanabres, at a spot after A Gudina, they saw a wolf. I, the unfortunate one, had ducked behind some bushes to pee, and when I came out they were standing there kind of transfixed. They described an encounter with a wolf, locking eyes with this regal creature, no one moving for a few seconds. And then the wolf turned and slowly walked away. I was so sorry to have missed it.

But Sandie, if your question comes from a fear of wolves, I don't think you have to worry. If you are hoping to see one, I think the chances are really slim. Which camino are you walking? Buen camino, Laurie

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
OK..ok. ha ha
Let me correct myself on this. Just jesting. Although all the aforementioned wildlife are native to northern Spain, it's highly unlikely one would ever see one while walking the Camino. I was just messing around when I mentioned it, and not trying to start rumors (something I just ranted about on another thread).
In fact, if one did see any wildlife like that, it would actually be pretty cool and one would be fortunate to do so.

Must be lucky. Saw 2 snakes and 1 wild boar last April. No bears though.

Being Australian (us not the wildlife), the snakes while a surprise and a fascination weren't an issue. The boar ran towards us and crossed our path. It was more startled than we were.

Last year on the Camino Frances there was an adult bear lying dead in a stream right next to the Way just past Azofra. It was a sad sight to see. Locals reckoned it had come down from the mountains to the North and got hit by a vehicle crossing the busy A12 that is just on the right of the Camino. Poor thing.

The only live snakes I came across were in France, though we did see one on the Camino Primitivo. Also on the Primitivo a large group of wild boar with young crossed my path about 10 feet in front of me, though they took no notice of me, they were running from something, possibly hunters. This was about 7am in a forest. They were very beautiful to see!

Buen Camino
Davey

I did a fair bit of back country hiking in the wilds of Canada and never saw a wolf ( however I did hear them at night ).

It would be your lucky day if you actually see a Spanish wolf ( the furry four legged ones ). They are shy animals and with the steady stream of human pilgrims passing through, they do their best to stay away.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi guys
Thanks for the humour I am having a giggle with my morning tea. I'm not worried about seeing any in fact if I get a glimpse of any wildlife I haven't seen it would make my day. I am new to the site and may have posted on the wrong forum but Hey Ho ....good for a giggle. Thanks for the replies

A very warm welcome to the Forum Sandiepaul and, good on you for taking all the jests and banter in 'good part'.

I was going to write something about sightings of the wild Spanish werewolf of the Basque Country but as a moderator I am forbidden to start unfounded rumours about such things

:)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi guys
Thanks for the humour I am having a giggle with my morning tea. I'm not worried about seeing any in fact if I get a glimpse of any wildlife I haven't seen it would make my day. I am new to the site and may have posted on the wrong forum but Hey Ho ....good for a giggle. Thanks for the replies
I was going to write something about sightings of the wild Spanish werewolf of the Basque Country but as a moderator I am forbidden to start unfounded rumours about such things

:)[/
A very warm welcome to the Forum Sandiepaul and, good on you for taking all the jests and banter in 'good part'.
Thank you for your kind words.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Sitting quietly by the side of the path a number of small lizards started to scuttle about. They were maybe 4" long, dark, with flecks of colour on their backs. Then on the opposite side of the track their behemoth of a cousin appeared. It was green, nearly a foot long, and it paused to taste the air with its tongue before darting across the path and disappearing into the shrubbery beside me.
Coming from a northern city the sight of any wildlife was a real bonus.

Snakes? Lizards? Wolves? Wild Boar? I'm envious.
But I did meet a fox near Roncesvalles last year, and got a very bad photo of her/him. And this year near Santo Domingo de Silos, I scared a small herd of deer--well, we scared each other, actually.
Iberian Lynx, anyone? Now THAT would be a rare and special treat.

Fortunately no lounge lizards basque wolves or (so far) wolves in sheep's clothing.
Camino Angels are another thing. Lots of them, halos and wings and all.

Attachments

• IMG_7285 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_7285 - Copy.JPG
    234.4 KB · Views: 25
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Sitting quietly by the side of the path a number of small lizards started to scuttle about. They were maybe 4" long, dark, with flecks of colour on their backs. Then on the opposite side of the track their behemoth of a cousin appeared. It was green, nearly a foot long, and it paused to taste the air with its tongue before darting across the path and disappearing into the shrubbery beside me.
Coming from a northern city the sight of any wildlife was a real bonus.
What an absolute treat, there's nothing like the privillage of nature

just walk with a slower pilgrim in those regions. You don't have to out run the wolves you just have to outrun the other pilgrim (works with bears too) ;)
Dear Dorothy, I am walking with my wife, who is a little slower than I am. Am I under any social obligation to run slower than her in such circumstances, or can I abandon her to the wolf?

Yours sincerely, Perplexed

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Does anyone know anything about the basque wolves or has anyone seen them on their travels.
Ok I'm on my phone and a small phone and stumpy fingers don't work too well. Iam currently walking the le puy GR65 route and on the third day when was hiking over the plateau a walker had reportedly been chased by a wolf . It transpires that it was likely a wolf as it had been hanging around although it was more than likely just running and not chasing . It was the talk of the local pub that night and had feelings of " American werewolf in London"

....... Iam currently walking the le puy GR65 route and on the third day when was hiking over the plateau a walker had reportedly been chased by a wolf . It transpires that it was likely a wolf as it had been hanging around although it was more than likely just running and not chasing . It was the talk of the local pub that night and had feelings of " American werewolf in London"
Doesn't @biarritzdon live somewhere around there?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Does anyone know anything about the basque wolves or has anyone seen them on their travels.

No basque wolves around here.
But be very careful of the hippos . . .

WitklipDamHippo2.jpg

No basque wolves around here.
But be very careful of the hippos . . .

View attachment 26212

@jsalt:
In our big flood in Calgary three years ago, the hippos got floated right out of the hippo pool at the zoo, which is on an island in the Bow River. There was some concern that they would take to the water and be seen floating downriver with the rest of the detritus of the flood. You never know where you might meet wandering hippos.

You never know where you might meet wandering hippos.

Fortunately, despite the sign, we didn't see any hippos on our club's walk this morning.:)

I hope that you all know that running away from a predator makes you prey.
I am walking with my wife, who is a little slower than I am. Am I under any social obligation to run slower than her in such circumstances, or can I abandon her to the wolf?
Yours sincerely, Perplexed
Dear Perplexed,
There's no correct answer to that question, but you have to live with her. Perhaps she has an opinion in this matter? Or perhaps she's counting on you to be going faster, thus being the one who elicits the prey drive? :D

Fortunately, despite the sign, we didn't see any hippos on our club's walk this morning.:)
Oh, good. That would be an 'interesting' headline. 'Hiking Group Gets Squashed by Hippos'

Meanwhile on the Camino there are the irate ostriches...the fence was a good thing...

Attachments

• IMG_8579 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_8579 - Copy.JPG
    238.5 KB · Views: 8
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Dear Perplexed,
There's no correct answer to that question, but you have to live with her. Perhaps she has an opinion in this matter? Or perhaps she's counting on you to be going faster, thus being the one who elicits the prey drive? :D

Oh, good. That would be an 'interesting' headline. 'Hiking Group Gets Squashed by Hippos'

Meanwhile on the Camino there are the irate ostriches...the fence was a good thing...

Meanwhile in the south of Spain Runaway Hippo on the loose in Spanish Street.

Better late than never! There are many many wolves in the tapas bars of San Sebastian female pilgrims should beware! The strangest wild life I have ever seen were a group of celebrants disguised as Scots playing gaitas in the streets of Viana!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The only wolf I saw on the camino was a video taken from a drone in the dead of winter and it was a 'lone' wolf. The only wildlife I came across was a few lizards, one snake, a load of storks and one huge condor type bird above Roncesvalles

Dear Perplexed,

I do remember the fenced pasture with emu on the Camino Portugues last summer...not ostriches, though, they were certainly all gray.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

€46,-
Watch out for wild boar being culled with crossbows in the Madrid area!! Which would be more dangerous, the boar or bow?
I doubt there are hunters flinging crossbow bolts recklessly in all directions. I'm sure that hunt is very strictly managed and controlled and the reason for using a crossbow (modern ones are much more accurate than the medieval ones) is the weapon's relatively short range, effectiveness and it is quiet.
Boar are quite prolific, and if not controlled, they are destructive.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I think I have started something here about basque wolves and bears that have woken early. We are in gallbarra now resting in the lovely rural casa lana with a pool. We never saw wolves I'm told by the locals they are kaput ...non...200km away maybe if any left. We have followed boar but never saw any only heard them , they run away quite shy really with poor eye site so if you are fortunate to have been in their presence be calm and quiet voiced and they will sniff and wander off if they bark just take it as please don't frighten my children and retreat until they go. ...It is their home after all. Lizards and crane birds nesting on top of buildings and great vultures circling above what a beautiful place this is....but nothing to fear only being eaten by bed bugs seem to be the scurge but not even had a bite...even a great comfy bed each night too ....bien camino. I'm afraid a negative presence persists in the fingertips when close to a phone so switch them off till you stop and then reflect I'm sure nothing will be that big a deal afterwards.....

Sorry for late reply but I have been "camino distracted" had five days walking with big back packs and feet are on holiday now in a rural "casa lana" gallbarra....
Had a great time and she'd much as we walked ...tee shirts and pans so to speak. Saw fabulous sights but alas no wolves but massive vultures and cranes perched precariously on top of towers feeding their young ...I love basque country

Sorry for late reply but I have been "camino distracted" had five days walking with big back packs and feet are on holiday now in a rural "casa lana" gallbarra....
Had a great time and she'd much as we walked ...tee shirts and pans so to speak. Saw fabulous sights but alas no wolves but massive vultures and cranes perched precariously on top of towers feeding their young ...I love basque country
Meant " shed much" predictive text has its own life loll.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.