• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bathing Suit or Not

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portuguese "2014" from Tui to Santiago
Camino Norte "April 2016"
We will be heading out soon (April 14 - May 19) for the Camino del Norte. We would love to think that we can go for swims along the way, but realistically, weather wise, will we need to pack our bathing suit? We don't want to carry the extra weight if not needed.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Last November I was very pleased that I'd got my swimming trunks as I had several really pleasant swims off the Asturian and Galician coasts - if anything slightly warmer than when I'd swum out of the Mediterranean in October at the start of my camino.

But I was very lucky with 2015's unusually mild and late veranillo. As always, there is no predicting the weather.

We will be heading out soon (April 14 - May 19) for the Camino del Norte. We would love to think that we can go for swims along the way, but realistically, weather wise, will we need to pack our bathing suit? We don't want to carry the extra weight if not needed.

I had good laugh reading your post, as initially I understood that your question was, 'is it OK to swim nude in Spain' (legally, yes, it is), and only after some time I realized that you are asking wheather the water in the sea is cold. :D Believe me, the North Coast sea IS cold in April. It is nothing like in the South of Spain. The sea in the North warms up during the summer and it stays warm in September and October, but not in April, or early May.
But since you are from Canada, maybe your tolerance for cold is different! Have a good swim!;)

walrus2.jpg

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
It's a bit of a stroll off the Norte to Estella!

We took our swimmers on the Norte last May @Jacquie Cattanach, but did not use them until the camping ground at Santiago de Compostela. It was too cold. But we did meet a fellow pilgrim who had walked the Norte at exactly the same time the year before (2014), and the weather was much warmer she said, and she often swam. It just depends on the luck of the draw when it comes to weather. I think the fact that many beachside campgrounds do not open until mid July says something.

Having said that, I'm an optimist and I'd probably still take an old pair.

I had good laugh reading your post, as initially I understood that your question was, 'is it OK to swim nude in Spain' (legally, yes, it is), and only after some time I realized that you are asking wheather the water in the sea is cold. :D Believe me, the North Coast sea IS cold in April. It is nothing like in the South of Spain. The sea in the North warms up during the summer and it stays warm in September and October, but not in April, or early May.
But since you are from Canada, maybe your tolerance for cold is different! Have a good swim!;)

walrus2.jpg

That's funny. I'm thinking don't bring my bathing suit, but will probably see what the final numbers come in when I weigh my packed backpack. It'll be in the "maybe" pile. Which means that it could be a skinny dip if we do have unseasonable warm weather :) But, I'm one of those Canadians that like warm water.

At the very least, if you don't bring a bathing suit and the day is hot, you can strip down to your underwear and use these as your bathing suit
(If the day is really hot, it will be a great excuse to wash some clothes in the sea)

Or go skinny dipping as you suggested, like my wife and I did on a nice sandy beach just before entering Muxia.

I have not done the Norte but I sure there are numerous places where you can do likewise.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I didn't swim but did put my feet and legs in the pool at my albergue in Belarado in late Sept '14. Had to kick the icebergs out of the way.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I did the Camino Ingles in September, and was lucky enough to swim on the north coast then, even though it was a bit nippy! Instead of a bathing suit, I took a pair of swimming shorts (easy to find these days, just look for "board shorts"), that I could use elsewhere, AND I took a nice black bra without lace, or anything that made it look like underwear, and wore it as a bikini top! You could also consider going in with your jog bra!! Just some ideas! Buen Camino!

I walked the Norte last May/June and went for a swim (without bathing suit) just to say I had swum in the Atlantic. It was freezing. I would not bother taking swimmers as if you really want a swim go in your undies or with nothing.

I'm taking my swimmers, my son wanted to take his boogie board!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.