• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bathroom necessities

Humbertico

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan 2018
If nature calls and you are far from restrooms any recommendations especially for lady pilgrims? Should you carry bag to dispose at a trash can or carry shovel to dig letreen and bury?

Gracias peregrinos

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If nature calls and you are far from restrooms any recommendations especially for lady pilgrims? Should you carry bag to dispose at a trash can or carry shovel to dig letreen and bury?

Gracias peregrinos

@Humbertico
My own practice is to carry tissue paper and a plastic bag to carry used tissue to a trash can for disposal after urinating, and a trowel to dig an appropriate hole when disposing of solid bodily waste. I have very seldom needed to do the latter. Some kind of hand sanitizer might be a good idea, if you don't want to use your drinking water to wash up. I wouldn't put personal wipes of any sort except tissue in a hole.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
As someone who is easily “caught short” due to extensive surgery on my digestive system.
1) Learnt to stop at every village & use the facilities at the local cafe or bar - often gave one or two euros in gratitude
2) Wore incontinence pads - took some & was able to get more at the pharmacies
3) Carried an easily accessible small Eagle packing bag with toilet paper, hand sanitiser, two spare pads, pair of undies, and a supply of single use plastic bags to make sure I left no paper
4) Became adept at spotting potential private spots, to use, and had to accept there was often evidence that others had discovered these before me

One morning as we started in the dark because of expected high temperatures that day we struggled as we left the village to find the trail. Suddenly the the trail was outlined by bright little white pieces of toilet paper along each side. As helpful as we found this I recommend carrying out all toilet paper. If you bury it animals or ? seem to expose it again. It would be nice if people would make an effort to bury the solids. I have stepped off the trail and found big turds laying on the open ground.
My personal method is to carry a yellow bandana folded to fit in my pocket. I have perfected the drip dry pee shake which also tones the buttocks. Then I unfold my bandana one or two folds and blot. And being a nurse who has seen way more than I want, I know pee is sterile. There is no bacteria unless you have an active infection, I refold the damp side in and back into my pocket it goes. I rinse the pee rag out at night. In the interest of science I have given the system the sniff test and the rag does not smell until the third day if you don't wash it at night.
I very rarely poop in the woods probably because all the wine the night before sets things loose early morning. But I carry a thick paper dinner napkin or or too, a hand wipe and a doggie bag. I bury the soid and carry out the tissue.
And please disregard any advice to just take toilet paper from the cafe or albergue. Many cafes are out of toilet paper so bring a partial roll with the cardboard center removed from home.
The best advice is Leave only footprints!!!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'd like to second the "carry out your paper" -- for peeing AND pooping. It gets dug up or washed out of holes and we all know how much we hate seeing TP all along the way. I recommend a thin "pantyliner" pad for each day of your walk (one ziplock bag holds enough for weeks of walking with virtually no weight) and, with it, you won't need TP at all when you pee. As a retired National Park Ranger, I've seen it all and burying the paper in the poop hole just doesn't last.

One morning as we started in the dark because of expected high temperatures that day we struggled as we left the village to find the trail. Suddenly the the trail was outlined by bright little white pieces of toilet paper along each side. As helpful as we found this I recommend carrying out all toilet paper. If you bury it animals or ? seem to expose it again. It would be nice if people would make an effort to bury the solids. I have stepped off the trail and found big turds laying on the open ground.
My personal method is to carry a yellow bandana folded to fit in my pocket. I have perfected the drip dry pee shake which also tones the buttocks. Then I unfold my bandana one or two folds and blot. And being a nurse who has seen way more than I want, I know pee is sterile. There is no bacteria unless you have an active infection, I refold the damp side in and back into my pocket it goes. I rinse the pee rag out at night. In the interest of science I have given the system the sniff test and the rag does not smell until the third day if you don't wash it at night.
I very rarely poop in the woods probably because all the wine the night before sets things loose early morning. But I carry a thick paper dinner napkin or or too, a hand wipe and a doggie bag. I bury the soid and carry out the tissue.
And please disregard any advice to just take toilet paper from the cafe or albergue. Many cafes are out of toilet paper so bring a partial roll with the cardboard center removed from home.
The best advice is Leave only footprints!!!!
Recent research has found that urine does in fact contain bacteria

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.