• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

bathrooms along the Camino Frances and bed clothes

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Bed: Some people wear their underwear. Some people take pajamas. Some people sleep in tomorrow's clothes. It's all up to you. Nobody pays attention to what the other pilgrims are wearing. They're all too tired.

Bathroom: Sometimes you are lucky and there are bars along the way where you can toilet after making a purchase. Other times, you use the closest bush. Please either carry a plastic bag and take your dirty toilet paper to the next trash can or carry a hankerchief you can wash each evening. Please DO NOT LEAVE YOUR DIRTY TOILET PAPER ALONG THE TRAIL. This is a huge problem.

Definitely agree with all that - especially removing the toilet paper!!

Silk pajamas and Moroccan leather slippers, but not too embroidered, is the norm, even the men :wink:

(the last bit might not be true).

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Sleepwear: a pair of capri leggings and base layer-type top thatcan be used under your hiking gear. I wore my capri leggings under a skirt on à chilly day.

Bathroom: take every opportunity to go when you cross a bar and you should be able to minimize the need to find a place along the trail.

[quote="CaminoGen"

Bathroom: take every opportunity to go when you cross a bar and you should be able to minimize the need to find a place along the trail.[/quote]
Please, please, when you pop into that convenient bar to use their facilities ( for which you will normally be very grateful), do purchase something from them. I think it's very bad manners to slouch into the toilet area, use the facilities and then slip out, as if you have never been near the place! Anne

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Re: Re: bathrooms along the Camino Frances and bed clothes

Please, please, when you pop into that convenient bar to use their facilities ( for which you will normally be very grateful), do purchase something from them. I think it's very bad manners to slouch into the toilet area, use the facilities and then slip out, as if you have never been near the place! Anne
Of course, that goes without saying. Paper and water cost a lot in Europe and shop owners cannot be expected to accommodate the thousands of pilgrims passing through.

CaminoGen said:
Of course, that goes without saying. Paper and water cost a lot in Europe and shop owners cannot be expected to accommodate the thousands of pilgrims passing through.
Unfortunately it doesn't "go without saying", CaminoGen! How many times have I been in a bar and watched someone "sleek through" to the bathroom, then (obviously) use it and then sleek out as if they had never been! Anne

I agree with Anne; it cannot "go without saying!"

It would be nice to be able to assume people know how to do what's right,
but the truth is, they don't demonstrate that knowledge.
That is evident by the trail of dirty toilet paper all the way to Santiago.

Going into a bar and using their facilities without purchasing something is not ok.
At least buy a coffee or a gum or something.
Imagine having all those pilgrims tromping through your living room to use your toilet!
Yikes!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
In many European countries you may see a donation plate near the entrance of the bathroom, I am sure that the owner of a bar would appreciate even a small donation in lieu of a purchase, sometimes you just don't feel like another coffee. A small donation may be greater than the small profit margin for a packet of gum or cup of coffee.

That sounds like a good idea, although some of those country village septic systems probably couldn't handle the sewage.

Business idea? Place Pay portaloos on the longer stretches of the Camino, and make it BYO paper, pilgrims are notorious for taking paper from public toilets. :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
In Negeria I popped in to use a bar loo. I didn't need a drink but had planned to leave a 1€ coin on the bar.

When I came out the lady on duty was nearly, but not quite, blocking my way. I got the message.

I run a bar not a public loo.

I gave the euro with a smile and got a nice smile back. All in all I did very well out of the transaction. :wink:

I got an idea. :)

Wouldn't it be a nice idea to collect all threads about this subject and make them into one, and make it a sticky!?
As there is a new thread started about this obviously very much appreciated subject so often? Which always gets very loooong.
One could call it "the big everlasting thread about pee and poo".

Just a thought. :)

"mums out, dads out, let's talk rude. Pee, poo, belly, bum, bare..."

Sleep: laundered underwear for tomorrows walking (makes getting dressed in the dark marginally less challenging).

Bathroom: what a wonderful euphemism - bush, tree, ditch. But always with discretion and with a proper clean up after. If taking advantage of the facilities in a bar or cafe then definitely make a purchase or leave a coin.

Susanna'a idea is a great one. I recall a thread that provided a link to "how to do what bears do"' but I can't find it now.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Well one thing is for sure I didn't see any back hair on ladies.. So natural won't work.

What do you mean? Is it usually hot or cold at night during the months of June and July?
I am sorry I was being flippant, it will more than likely be warm, ( I have not been in Spain that time of year) so something light. By middle of May it was very warm.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I brought a pair of cotton shorts and a light tee for sleeping. In June, that was completely fine. You are sleeping in a room with a bunch of other people, usually without many windows, so it can be warm. I always tried to snag a bed by a window and leave the window open so that we could have fresh, cool air.

I brought a pair of cotton shorts and a light tee for sleeping. In June, that was completely fine. You are sleeping in a room with a bunch of other people, usually without many windows, so it can be warm. I always tried to snag a bed by a window and leave the window open so that we could have fresh, cool air.
Thank you, kindly, dear. I had the thought that at night it would have been cold. Glad you told me.

I could not live without my CW-X compression pants for recovery at night after a long walk.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you, kindly, dear. I had the thought that at night it would have been cold. Glad you told me.

It did get chilly outside some nights, but in the alberques, it always seemed to be warm. Sometimes people would close the windows and it would be really stuffy. I had planned just to wear clothes to bed if it was too cold for my shorts and tee, but it never was.

I wore the next day's underwear and tee shirt. Bra was a problem though. I became quite adept at putting on my bra in the morning whilst wearing the tee shirt. Next time I plan to wear a pull on soft bra that I am hoping to sleep in. No hooks and eyes to dig in to me or horrible underwire.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back