• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bathrooms on buses

Tali

5-time Perigrina
Time of past OR future Camino
15, 17, 18, & 22 - CF
18 - CE
22 - CN
23 - CFin/M
Are there bathrooms on city to city buses? Specifically, Ribadeo to Santiago?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Damn! I thought there had been an up grade to Showers :)

Buen Camino

Samarkand.
Quite enjoy the different terminologies on here especially UK and North American folks! ‘Pants’ alway makes me smile, but even as a UK person I always say ‘bathroom’ even in UK (which I know is ridiculous) after a few looks j got in USA a few times when I used the word toilet!

OP could I assume have asked if there were any restrooms on the buses!

As others have said already, not necessarily. Some Alsa buses have them. Alsa is a large company with many affiliates. They cover numerous city to city connections. On the Alsa website, the facility is called aseos or baño in Spanish, and they've chosen WC or bathroom for the English translation.

See these links in ES and EN:
  • ¿Todos los autobuses tienen baño?

• Do all buses have a WC?
    On national routes of more than 100 km, more than 50% of the Alsa Comfort class buses and all the Supra and Premium class buses have a bathroom. On international routes, all buses have a WC and access will cost € 1 for each use.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Ha! Reminds me of taking a bus from Santiago to Madrid May 23, 2016. There was a tiny bathroom just forward of the stairs for entry in the middle of the bus. As it was a 9 hour bus ride, I decided to use it. (The bus made a couple stops along the way for drivers and riders, also). When I got in the tiny bathroom, there was a tiny sink that was plugged up, half full of vomit. Below it were two unlabeled buttons. One put water in the sink and the other flushed the toilet. I had to guess which one flushed. Of course, I guessed wrong and the sink started filling up. I pushed the same button and the water quit, just in time for the vomit to not overflow. :). The bus ride was a nice decompression, but it was supposed to go directly to terminal 4. Instead, we got into Madrid just in time for morning rush hour and the driver instead drove to the downtown bus station and everyone was ordered off, to fend for ourselves. I was fortunate enough to find my way to a train that took me to the airport in time for my flight. Others were not so lucky. Never a dull moment on the Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We took a bus from Finisterre to Santiago in 2017

The bus had a toilet but the driver said it was closed. No reason given.

So a bus having a toilet doesn't necessarily mean that one can use it.

Ha! Reminds me of taking a bus from Santiago to Madrid May 23, 2016. There was a tiny bathroom just forward of the stairs for entry in the middle of the bus. As it was a 9 hour bus ride, I decided to use it. (The bus made a couple stops along the way for drivers and riders, also). When I got in the tiny bathroom, there was a tiny sink that was plugged up, half full of vomit. Below it were two unlabeled buttons. One put water in the sink and the other flushed the toilet. I had to guess which one flushed. Of course, I guessed wrong and the sink started filling up. I pushed the same button and the water quit, just in time for the vomit to not overflow. :). The bus ride was a nice decompression, but it was supposed to go directly to terminal 4. Instead, we got into Madrid just in time for morning rush hour and the driver instead drove to the downtown bus station and everyone was ordered off, to fend for ourselves. I was fortunate enough to find my way to a train that took me to the airport in time for my flight. Others were not so lucky. Never a dull moment on the Camino!
Sounds like a memorable journey! Bus toilets don't seem to fare well, especially on longer journeys. Not unusual to find them out of use with a sink full of vomit or the floor swimming in piss. This isn't unique to Spain, by any means.

On a journey of 3 hours or more, there's usually an intermediate stop or two, usually 15 minutes. Ask, before you board at the desk in the bus station, they should be able to advise.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Never seek "adventure". If you travel outside your home ground it is likely to find you......

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I was debating Logrono-Madrid by bus or train. This just sealed it. Train, it is!
I prefer the train in most cases, but sometimes they are all booked, or the train journey actually takes longer than the bus - such as Santiago to Porto.

I was debating Logrono-Madrid by bus or train. This just sealed it. Train, it is!
I travelled by train from Madrid to Burgos. The toilet door wouldn't shut properly and we were troubled by a lurking man in the toilet area, that some of the other women would chase away from time to time.
All in all, I held on until Burgos.

The Alsa bus I took the next time, was luxurious, and it was a wonderful trip. They handed out free nuts and water, and the toilets' were clean. The seating was much nicer than the train, it was a faster trip.

It can go either way, I think its more about the passengers treatment of the facilities than the mode of
transport.

I image that cleaning toilets on planes, buses, trains and portaloos must be one of the worst jobs going.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Good decision, that. Just make your reservations early! I got the last seat from Santiago to Madrid last year. Also found out there was no open seating, your ticket had the assigned sear number on it…Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back