• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bathrooms

Dawn of a new Day

Ok, I haven't seen this posted before. How easy is it to go to the "Bathroom" when necessary. I know in Holland it is pay in the restaurants. Are there public toiletes. ? am a postie and now drink about 2 Litres water for my 3 hour walk. Are there alot of bushes ???This works for me!
d

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Frankly, this was the greatest adjustment -- or 'culture' shock -- I had last year. It took me the whole way from Le Puy to SJPP to feel comfortable to go and pee behind a bush. Glancing furtively around to see if anyone's coming -- recognizing the perfect hiding hedge, rapidly unbuckling the backpack, throwing the walking sticks on the side, and sometimes learning to pee half standing up... By the meseta, my method was nearing perfect speed and accuracy. Most of all, lack of concern whether someone was going to catch me or see me...

I also remember the lines at the various cafes along the way in Spain. And of course, always more women for the Women's than men for the Men's.

Mind you bathrooms, and lack thereof, were a source of deep bonding with some other women pilgrims on the way.

claire

Bathroom

You will mark your territory right across the camino my dear!
In 2004, every convenient bush and monolithic stone had a growing pile of tissue paper behind them. There was a report on another forum about the mountains of litter left on the camino last year.
If you can't bear to drip-dry, please consider taking a small plastic bag to pack away your tissue paper and carry it with you until you reach a garbage bin to chuck it into. (Ditto for sweet papers, empty cans etc.)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Ah, finally someone posting a very important question. Have been thinking much about it myself, but not had the nerve to start a topic.
But the answers is much about "no 1", if I am not mistaken. What about "no 2"? The same? Behind a bush or?

thank you all for sharing your hillarious comments on such a SERIOUS subject.
I agree that TP should not be used or if necessary carry a bag. It is a disgrace to see the ennironment trashed.
If no #2, then dig a hole first.
Drip dry is the only way to go, quick and accurate!!!!
Now bring on them bushes!!!!
happy trails.
dawn

Perhaps it should be compulsory for all pilgrims to read a book by Kathleen Meyer - a conservationist who wrote a book called, "How to Shit in the Woods". (I am not kidding - and it IS a serious book!)
She talks about the diminishing 'prisitine' waters in the world and how travellers can carry bugs and disease from Siberia to Peru and from Iceland to Tasmania.
Chapters include:
Digging the Hole
When you can't dig a hole
The Poop packer
Trekker's Trots
and, for women - How not to pee in your boots!

You can buy the book from amazon.com for about $8

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Female Urination Devices

The best investment I ever made for traveling was my Freshette Urination Device!

There are all sorts of female urination devices. These are made so women can urinate standing up. Some are cardboard, disposable, all shapes and sizes. Some fit into your pants fly and some you have to remove your pants completely (which to me is silly).

The disposable ones are.. well.. disposable, and that presents its own problem on the trail. Much better to spnd the cash on a plastic model which can be used thousands of times. I've used mine a lot and just recently broke it when I stepped on it while packing! I'm ordering another before my Camino trip!

The plastic ones, I only know of 3.

One, I can't find the name of.. I'll keep researching, but BEWARE. The way this particular device fits is to nestle it BETWEEN the outer and inner labia, which on a trip like we're taking spells "infection." So please choose one of the following. These two are easier to use and safer, in my opinion.

How do you use them? You just open your fly, nestle the small contraption's "cup" around your pubis, and pee away like a guy. It works GREAT! I've used it in the bushes, just like a guy, with my back to the road, and nobody was the wiser. You can actually "wipe" upwards when you remove the device to take off any clinging drops. Then, you just shake it off, put it into it's plastic carrying case, and wash both up in the shower at your next stop. No toilet paper (unless you're squeamish when backpacking) and no horrible searching for a toilet.

Ok.. the two I know of:

One is the Whiz, which I have not used but which looks pretty good.

One is the Freshette, which I have had for 3 years and LOVE!

I'd say do not bother buying the urine bags, etc. I bought them and have never used them.

I also use this when traveling and when I have to use a dirty toilet. I can just pee standing up like a guy.. no problem. It's small and very lightweight and worth it's small weight in gold!

I am past menopause and buddy, when I have to go.. I have to GO.. so this thing is my favorite travel friend.

I'll be happy to answer any questions.

You can do a search on female urination devices to see all the many cardboard and disposables, but please check out the two plastic varieties as well...

Deborah

very funny

I have seen the book Sil! And it IS serious! and true.

Drip dry, carrying a bag for the TP and other items and waiting for the BM until you reach someplace that is indoors. Takes some adjustment but it can be done.

WHATEVER your solution...PLEASE don't stop drinking water!!!!!!

Dehydration is NOT good. AND if the water looks rusty..DON"T drink it! Made the mistake cause I was dying of thirst and all I can say is.....

Thank heavens for the RED CROSS and the Guardia Civil and free med care. The docs were super.
The people in the waiting room all sat far away but I suspect it was more due to the fact that I had already walked 16 k's and probably did not smell fresh as a daisy than because I was ill.
AND if the doc says 'you can't walk anymore today. IF you must get to X, take the bus for the next 15 k's" LISTEN to him.
nuff said.

Buen Camino and honestly...THIS topic really did make me smile. ANd it was serious!
Mabel

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
New members, particularly those who have been inspired by "The Way," may have questions on bathrooms, but have not asked. There is some good information in this Subject.

I have always taken the smallest size packet of panty liners. No need for tissues( when weeing) and throw away when you reach the albergue.
I read it years ago.
Heather

Everyone knows that for men having a pee when your out & about is quick and easy but the women out on the trail thing are somewhat more timely..

For the ladies that would rather not bare all behind a bush, take a look at the Shewee device some of the female members of our Search & Rescue unit use them while out on both live searches and Search exercises..

http://www.shewee.com/

As for the other aspect of going to the toilet whilst alone the trail, nappy bags/sacks for the toilet paper & 90% of these are scented and dig a hole for the solids :shock: "remember to cover it" :mrgreen:

Hope this is of some help..

Bryan

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I wore a skirt and went commando, which made peeing really easy. As for digging a hole...I think you would have to carry a pickaxe, the ground is so hard. I "buried" my business with stones whenever I could.

The most difficult times are when walking through a city on a holiday...everything is closed and very public.

now that we all on first name terms.....
i carried a deft little trowel;/ spade for digging said cat-holes
but as you say k-fun, the ground required a pick axe
so i soon dumped the hardware
fession time
being in a city when it was time for a wee with no facilities in sight was no prob
(this is the bit where you cover the kids ears)
i went straight for a refuse bin, and found a bottle/ container of some sort
i sat down a the nearest bench, and through some cleaver sleight of hand
managed the event with alacrity
the contents then usually helped the rose bushes in the village garden
or with lid on, went back into the bin
(i reserve the right to delete this post when hate mail outweighs love mail)

+@^^ said:
now that we all on first name terms.....
i carried a deft little trowel;/ spade for digging said cat-holes
but as you say k-fun, the ground required a pick axe
so i soon dumped the hardware
fession time
being in a city when it was time for a wee with no facilities in sight was no prob
(this is the bit where you cover the kids ears)
i went straight for a refuse bin, and found a bottle/ container of some sort
i sat down a the nearest bench, and through some cleaver sleight of hand
managed the event with alacrity
the contents then usually helped the rose bushes in the village garden
or with lid on, went back into the bin
(i reserve the right to delete this post when hate mail outweighs love mail)

By-jove I think you are onto something(love mail)
how many bottles should we carry :lol:

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
"I am Man, the world is my urinal."
-Unknown

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back