• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bavaria

A

AJ

Can anyone direct me to information relating to pilgrimage routes in Bavaria, either Jacobsweg or purely internal pilgrimage routes unconnected with SdC.

Thanks.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Sure! Have a look here: http://www.deutsche-jakobswege.de/wege-uebersicht.html It is an interactive map, just click on the route you are interested in and you get more information. If you need more help feel free to ask, I am German. The situation with albergues on some German routes isn't too brilliant, they are few and far between, so you will need to use other options like BnB, hostels etc.
Not in Bavaria, but also recommendable, is the http://www.oekumenischer-pilgerweg.de/index.php The way goes from the Polish-German border to the former inner German border, is well way marked and well equipped with pilgrim albergues. Perhaps something to think about?
Buen Camino, SY

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Sure! Have a look here: http://www.deutsche-jakobswege.de/wege-uebersicht.html It is an interactive map, just click on the route you are interested in and you get more information. If you need more help feel free to ask, I am German. The situation with albergues on some German routes isn't too brilliant, they are few and far between, so you will need to use other options like BnB, hostels etc.
Not in Bavaria, but also recommendable, is the http://www.oekumenischer-pilgerweg.de/index.php The way goes from the Polish-German border to the former inner German border, is well way marked and well equipped with pilgrim albergues. Perhaps something to think about?
Buen Camino, SY
That is an amazing compilation of information about the camino in Germany. Sort of makes me wonder whether I should start moving eastward in my camino dreaming.....

Buen Camino, SY

Is there an English guide or a book on he Polish- German Route?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Is there an English guide or a book on he Polish- German Route?
No, I always thought about writing one ;-) But the way is well marked, the addresses of albergues in the guidebook are self-explanatory and there are also two dedicated maps available that cover the whole route. So it should be possible to do it without German (or very little) and a big sense of adventure and humour. Buen Camino, SY

SY - "But the way is well marked, the addresses of albergues in the guidebook are self-explanatory and there are also two dedicated maps available that cover the whole route"

Which guidebook are you refering to and where do I purchase the two maps?

I've walked the main route across Bavaria, from the Czech border near Tillyschantz west through Nurmberg and Ulm to Konstanz , and blogged all the details (see address in my sig block). It's a lovely route, highly recommended. The route is well marked and well maintained. Walking in the shoulder seasons of late spring/early summer and also in fall, there are a few other walkers but generally you are guaranteed a peaceful and solitary walk.
Staying mostly at small country inns (Gasthaus), the daily cost for lodging and meals for me averaged around EUR60. Lodging comes with a very large breakfast, generally enough to make lunch as well. Dinner was from the restaurant menu and included beer (ymmv, but this is after all Bavaria!).
There are guidebooks, with section maps, elevation profiles, lodging contact details, in German, for all the Jakobsweg routes in Germany. See the site at https://www.conrad-stein-verlag.de/p/verlag/programm_jakob.html?t=1447856741446 Basic tourist German is easy to pick up, and the local folks will cheerfully help you along. The guidebooks are easy to use even with almost no language skill, due to the graphics. Also check the www.amazon.de site.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you SYates and Kitsambler. I have read through both of your blogs...very helpful and interesting. SYates - If you write it, I will buy it!The recommended websites are also very informative.

I will be walking from Praha to Genève (summer 2016?). I have the hiking maps from Praha to the Czech border but I am still searching for elevation maps for this section.

Unfortunately, I do not speak German. Thus, I am having difficulty chosing which guides cover the route through Germany from the Czech border at Všeruby/Eschlkam to Konstanz and then through Suiza from Konstanz to Genève. I have perused the Outdoor guides (yellow cover) and the Rother Wanderführer guides (red cover). However, they are numerous and I can't figure out which ones to purchase. Any help with choosing the right guides would be much appreciated. :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, I can certainly help you, but I am walking in Scotland at the moment and a lot of the info is on my home computer. Can you remind me about your questions again beginning of December when I will be home again? Just send me a forum pm then. Buen Camino, SY

I will contact you in a few weeks.
Buen Camino.

You have 9 months ... plenty of time to get a grasp of basic German with any one of the several online or app sources.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You have 9 months ... plenty of time to get a grasp of basic German with any one of the several online or app sources.

Duolingo.com is good and free and in all cases a English/German menu reader is highly recommended as in that part of Germany the menu is often in German only. Buen Camino, SY

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back