• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bayonne to Saint Jean Pied de Port -Transport needed

rdf2007

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2023
Hello Fellow Pilgrims
My wife and I were due to arrive in Saint Jean on Saturday via train from Paris. We booked two nights accommodation in Saint Jean and planned to start walking on the Monday. Unfortunately France’s general strike has affected our plans. We have booked a driver from BlaBlaCars who can take us as far as Bayonne on Sunday (Arrive 1730h) and wondering if anyone had suggestions for the final leg. We would prefer to arrive in Saint Jean on the Sunday if possible.
Thanking you in advance
Ray

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Many people use Express Bouricott transfer service, but usually they pick up at the Biarritz airport. You might check their website and maybe could catch a ride from there? I don't know if city buses are impacted by the strikes, but there is a bus to the airport from Bayonne.

Unfortunately France’s general strike has affected our plans. We have booked a driver from BlaBlaCars who can take us as far as Bayonne on Sunday (Arrive 1730h) and wondering if anyone had suggestions for the final leg. We would prefer to arrive in Saint Jean on the Sunday if possible.
Wow, according to https://www.sncf-connect.com/, all the trains from Paris to Bayonne are either cancelled or fully booked on Sunday. As to trains from Bayonne to Saint Jean Pied de Port this Sunday, only the trains departing at 8:16 and 11:24 are cancelled, the 14:19 and the 19:29 (arrival in SJPP at 20:30) are scheduled to run. SNCF advises to check again after 5 pm for the following day.

Otherwise Express Bourricot (if free places, and you must book beforehand, pick-up points are Biarritz airport and the train stations of Biarritz and Bayonne) or taxi, if possible together with others in the same situation …

There are also sometimes suitable BlablaCar offers on sncf-connect departing from Bayonne. Click on the tab “Bus or carpool”.

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
During the 2018 train strike, trains from Bayonne to SJPdP were replaced by buses, which left from the Bayonne train station. It was not a problem.

If there is a bus replacing the train it shows up in https://www.sncf-connect.com/. In the schedule, a small bus icon will be displayed instead of a small train icon and the journey time will be stated as 1h 30m instead of 1h 05m.

Pilgrims can check this even when they are already on their train, bus or car trip from Paris to Bayonne. Unless they prefer to travel without mobile phone of course …

Just for info for others than the OP who may be in a similar situation if this current strike situation in France drags on, below are the current possibilities on the Express Bourricot website (for those not familiar: 8 seats in the van, the more passengers the cheaper the trip per person; prices from Bayonne train station are the same as from Biarritz airport). There are definitely pilgrims on their way now …

March 25: Biarritz airport - SJPP
11h30 from 44€

March 26: Biarritz airport - SJPP
13h30 from 65€
15h30 from 44€
20h30 from 33€

March 28: Biarritz airport - SJPP
9h30 from 33€

March 29: Biarritz airport - SJPP
14h30 from 65€
18h15 from 44€

March 30: Biarritz airport - SJPP
11h00 from 65€

March 31: Biarritz airport - SJPP
12h40 from 33€
14h30 from 65€
16h30 from 19€

April 1: Biarritz airport - SJPP
14h30 from 33€
16h10 from 65€

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you all for your advice. We have been able to book the 1930h train to Saint Jean from Bayonne. Hopefully no more hiccups and we will be ready to start our Camino on Monday morning.
Buen Camino
Ray and Glenys

Good luck! I will be a week or so behind you…have looked into flights to Biarritz in case the train to Bayonne isn’t running, but then again the flight is Air France so don’t know if it will be affected as well…

We have been able to book the 1930h train to Saint Jean from Bayonne. Hopefully no more hiccups and we will be ready to start our Camino on Monday morning.
Bon voyage for today! Please let us know how it went - without any more hiccups I hope, too. :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We have a train from Frankfurt to Paris and then to Bayonne for 14 April but with the many strikes, decided to look up flights just in case. Either into Bilbao or Biaritz. Perhaps even for the day before.
Everything is on strike in Germany tomorrow, 27 March and who knows what will be happening in France in 3 weeks!

In France, trains from Paris to Bayonne have been running despite the long lasting strike action (btw, different situation from the wide ranging one-day “warning” strike tomorrow in Germany where Deutsche Bahn say that they will not establish an emergency schedule and keep long-distance trains in their depots).

Even today - I checked Trainline a few minutes ago - there are two trains that will be running from midday onwards from Paris to Bayonne while two others are cancelled. There were also at least two trains that left Paris today for Bayonne during this morning. And a few minutes ago there were even two (expensive) tickets left for today with one in first class and one in second class but they are gone now.

Just for info. It is useful to stay up to date and to stay in the here and now …:cool:. And https://www.thetrainline.com/ is really useful - I am impressed by this website.

Last edited:
Hello All
Just an update. We arrived safely in Saint Jeans last night, stumbled around the dark streets for a while before finding our villa. Had a good night sleep and start the Camino this morning. Thanks to everyone who assisted.
Ray and Glenys

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Good luck! I will be a week or so behind you…have looked into flights to Biarritz in case the train to Bayonne isn’t running, but then again the flight is Air France so don’t know if it will be affected as well…
You and me both. I also fly air france from cdg to Biaritz 13 April. Hoping things calm down before then 🙏

You and me both. I also fly air france from cdg to Biaritz 13 April. Hoping things calm down before then 🙏
Will you be on flight AF7480??
I will be on the same flight from CDG.
My connection from Canada is only 1hr and 5 minutes. I hope I can get from CDG 2E to 2G without a problem. If not the next flight. See you on our new adventure!

Will you be on flight AF7480??
I will be on the same flight from CDG.
My connection from Canada is only 1hr and 5 minutes. I hope I can get from CDG 2E to 2G without a problem. If not the next flight. See you on our new adventure!
No my flights changed. I'm now flying 14 April, hopefully well see each other and compare notes along the way. Safe travels :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, I'm searching for any transportation ways to to get to sjpp from Biarritz. Would anyone let me know how to get to? I would like taking bus or train. Thank you.
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
Hi All, My girlfriend and I are planning to do the Camino Primitivo. I'll be honest here; I'm not entirely sure how far we'll get, but Caminoways says that the entire route can be done in 15...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back