• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bayonne or Biarritz to SJPDP - Does anybody walk?

Pablo2007

Hello all,

I posted a while ago starting the Camino in Pau, and got some great info, at present I'm tossing up whether to go over Somport or start somewhere else in France and walk to SJPDP having had a few days walking before reaching SJPDP. Pau - SJPDP via Oloron or Navarrenx is still an option, but the problem is I cant stay in shared accommodation (for a number of reasons), I'm not nuts or anything like that, ....Laugh, its just that I just can't do it, so finding hotels at appropriate distances in that part of the world is problematic. However after lots of searching I'm thinking that another option is to start in either either Biarritz or Bayonne.

Has anybody walked form Biarritz or Bayonne to SJPDP?
Whats the "Camino" like, or does it just follow main roads.

I realise its probably not a very popular route. All of my web searches just came up information about the train connection from Bayonne to SJPDP (Funny that).

Hopefully the above makes sense, if not I will explain further.

Thanks

Pablo

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I tried to walk FROM St Jean out to Biarritz last time without much success. I got part way, but had a great deal of trouble trying to pick up any sort of path (other than roads) and opted for the bus (meant to be a train - but a bus turned up instead!). I suspect that it may be easier to pick up the path coming FROM Biarritz rather than heading to there. There is meant to be a path along the river, but I had no success in finding it.

The person who is the expert in this area is William Marques- look on his web site - you should be able to figure his wonderful maps. The problem was that, going in the opposite way to which you want to go, no-one in the tourist office, or pilgrim office, could give me any advice at all - I just got blank looks and ended up making up my "own way". Good luck Janet

You could walk on the Via Turonensis and stay in hotels all the way.
When I walked that route we took a day's detour to Lourdes from Dax. Our daily stages were:

Dax
Train am to Lourdes
Lourdes to Peyrehorade and walk to
Bidache
Saint Palais
Ostabat
Larceveau
St Jean Pied de Port
Orisson
Roncesvalles

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Pablo,

There is a well marked way between Bayonne and SJPDP called La Voie de la Nive.

If you manage in French (if not use the google translator) you will get all the necessary information here: http://vppyr.free.fr/pages_transversale ... tp=accueil
Pictures galore to boot.

Click on ''pratique'' and find out about places where commercial accommodation is available to suit your need. But I suspect that on that route, you will be alone in the albergues and hence find the privacy you're looking after.

I think it's a good idea to stretch your legs on that fairly easy three day walk to SJPDP.

Let me know if you need help.

Jean-Marc

Hi,

From a new website, not yet completed, two French IGN maps :

- Bayonne :: Ustaritz (and further) - Click HERE.

- Ustaritz :: St-Jean-Pied-de-Port - Click HERE.

The Bayonne::Ustaritz map is also available on the Peter Robins website HERE (Baztan way)

Théo

oops!
.... area is William Marques- look on his web site
, I think I meant Peter Robins when talking about maps. (Mind you William is also an expert!)

In Sept 2009 when I was trying to find my way down to the coast I was unable to pick up the path in reverse. I realize it is much harder to do this way, but there were several of us at roughly the same the time trying to find our way out to the coast, and I am not sure any of us had any success. I was armed with the line maps etc available at the time - but little success.

Certainly the links provided for the IGN map sight by Theo look pretty clear and well drawn, and based on my experience, I would imagine that you should be able to find your way. It was just a pity that neither the pilgrim office nor the tourist office were able to provide any information whatsoever on where to pick up the path in the opposite direction. Perhaps , if you do this way, you may be able to have a chat to them so that they can help others coming behind you. Cheers, Janet

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back