• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bayonne, Sjpp, Or Orisson

caminojune2017

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning June 2017
Curious as to your recommendations.
Flying from west coast US to Paris then flying to Biarritz and taking bus to Bayonne. I've now been traveling for ~24 hours. Do I:

1. Stay a night in Bayonne(is it worth it for exploring), leave for SJPP the next morning, take a rest day then start the next morning to Roncesvalle.

2. Go directly to SJPP, stay 2 nights with one rest day then start for Roncesvalle.

3. Go directly to SJPP, stay one night then hike to Orisson on the afternoon of the next day.

Thank you for your input!!!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Boom! Do option 3, no question. The trek to Roncevalles is a very challenging first stage. The 4-5 miles to Orrison are straight up, so you'll make the right choice by staying a night at Orrison. Plus the views from Orrison are incredible, especially in the morning. The vibe is also very unique. It is one of the coolest places I stayed. Good luck! Don't waste your time contacting Orrison, they can fill up fast:)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It depends on when you arrive in Bayonne.

If its late in the day ... stay there for the night.

Its probably worth exploring but you'll need to get rested. The decision isn't about being a tourist.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Flying from west coast US to Paris then flying to Biarritz and taking bus to Bayonne. I've now been traveling for ~24 hours. Do I:

1. Stay a night in Bayonne(is it worth it for exploring), leave for SJPP the next morning, take a rest day then start the next morning to Roncesvalle.

2. Go directly to SJPP, stay 2 nights with one rest day then start for Roncesvalle.

3. Go directly to SJPP, stay one night then hike to Orisson on the afternoon of the next day.

I will go for number one.

Wish you well and a Buen Camino,Peter.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm going to throw a 4th alternative at you, it is actually what I did last year. Spend the night in Bayonne, head to SJPP in the am, and spend the rest of the day in SJPP. The next day hike to Orrison and spend the day and night there. The next day make the hike to Roncevalles.

As I stated above, I found that first 4-5 miles straight to Orrison a killer and I was happy that was my stopping point that day. I couldn't imagine having to hike on to Roncevalles after that. It was 90+ degrees those first two days, so that was obviously a factor. :) Good luck!

I guess it depends how well you adjust to jet lag and if you need some recovery time before you set off. I will be arriving in Biarritz and will take a day to rest/explore. I flew all that distance and I want to see that part of the country. I will then cab it to Gare Bayonne and take the train to SJPP. I would do the Express Bourricott shuttle but so far I am the only one and it made more sense for me to take the train for 58 minutes. I'll explore SJPP and then set off the next day. All depends on your time, your $$ and what you want to see. Buen Camino!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

I'd pick 3, too. The more your body is over jet lag, the more you will be able to enjoy the whole experience. You can speed up later, if you want to! Buen camino!

Hi! I pick 3 as well. I'm travelling a few weeks earlier than you, flying into to Biarritz from Paris. I've arranged transport via Express Bourocicott from the airport to SJPDP. Other people are sharing a ride which makes it reasonably priced. I have booked a place in SJPDP and will slowly start the Camino the next day stopping for the night in Orrison. Hopefully the 1st 8 K straight up the Pyrenees will rid me of jet lag.
I also had thought of the other options you listed but am way to excited to actually start the Camino, letting the peacefulness of the pilgrimage take over!
This forum is a wonderful way in which to field ideas and from suggestions, choose what will best work for you.
Buen Camino!

Don't even consider Orisson...without a reservation made well in advance! Email will work but pick up a phone and call to confirm before leaving home, Jean-Jaques is a busy man, a very busy man and mistakes may happen. http://www.refuge-orisson.com/en/
tel. 33 5 59 49 13 03

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You have a 15 hour time difference between US west coast and SJPDP and you will feel it. We have between 8 and 11 hours difference Sydney - SJPDP and that's bad enough. I always have a complete rest day in St Jean, then a leisurely but tough 8 km to Orisson and then the next day to Roncevalles. Almost all the pilgrims will have left SJPDP by 9am and you can have a restful day wandering around the beautiful little town and the old Citadel, eating croissants and tasting all the scrumptious cheeses

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back