• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bayonne-St Jean Pied de port, hotel?

Norwegiandreamer

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de santiago (2016)
Hello people

I am taking a plane to biarritz that is landing 19:30. The first night I will stay in Bayonne. My question is, the other day, is it smart to preorder one more night at hotel in st jean pied de port, or can I travel from Bayonne to sjpdp, and also start walking the same day?

Grateful for answers :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The main consideration is that you want to be at Roncesvalles prior to sunset. The last part of the walk is somewhat steep and under trees ... even with a light there is potential for getting lost.

There is a 0745 train that gets to SJPdP at 0843. You'll likely need an hour to get oriented and find the pilgrim office. If you leave by noon you should be able to make it.

Other alternatives are to find accommodations at Hunto, Orrison, or Valcarlos.

Express Bourricot offers daily pick up and drop off at Orrison, allowing people to break the trip into two days while staying at SJPdP.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I would stay overnight in SJPDP even if you are only traveling to Orisson because it is actually an nice place to visit...if you are planning to travel from SJPDP to Roncevaux then I would definitely stay in SJPDP and leave early in the morning...because Roncevaux is actually a nice place to visit too...basically my three favorite towns to visit on the western Camino were SJPDP, Roncevaux, and Pamplona.

Hello people

I am taking a plane to biarritz that is landing 19:30. The first night I will stay in Bayonne. My question is, the other day, is it smart to preorder one more night at hotel in st jean pied de port, or can I travel from Bayonne to sjpdp, and also start walking the same day?

I will be facing the same timeline. I arrive in Biarritz at 19:30 also. I was hoping to be able to get to SJPP that night. Is this not possible? anyone??

If you have the time you should really spend some time in SJPDP. It's a great village and the vibe from other pilgrims really sets you up for your Camino. We are going to spend two nights there this year.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I will be facing the same timeline. I arrive in Biarritz at 19:30 also. I was hoping to be able to get to SJPP that night. Is this not possible? anyone??
I don't think there any more trains going to SJPDP that late. You may be able to take a taxi. If not, there are two trains in the morning, so you would need to spend the night in Bayonne.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
check the Express Bourricot web site.They pick up from the airport.They will advise you if they can pick up at that time.There may be other pilgrims arriving at the same time using their service.The more that book the cheaper it is.

The last train is 1806. Friday and Sunday its 211o.

If you can't catch the train its best to arrange accommodation in Bayonne. The first train is 0745. Your only other option is to hire a taxi at great expense.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hotel Monte Carlo is good inexpensive accommodation choice located opposite the Bayonne rr station. Nice cafe and resto also. Here is their web .

Buen camino!

We enjoyed staying overnight in Bayonne and taking the early train to SJPP. And then walking that day to Orisson. The first days of the Camino are busy with lots of people and excitement. It was nice to have a moment for reflection before we dove in.

We enjoyed staying overnight in Bayonne and taking the early train to SJPP. And then walking that day to Orisson. The first days of the Camino are busy with lots of people and excitement. It was nice to have a moment for reflection before we dove in.
Thanks for your reply. I will be staying in Bayonne as there is no train that late in the evening. How far is it to Bayonne from the Biarritz airport?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks for your reply. I will be staying in Bayonne as there is no train that late in the evening. How far is it to Bayonne from the Biarritz airport?
If you look at the link to the website for the hotel mspath posted, it has a map which shows the distance from the airport. Gives you an idea what to expect.

Biarritz-Anglet airport is roughly 6.5 k from the rr station in Bayonne

It also depends on how far you have travelled the day before. If you`ve been travelling for 24 hours or more, crossing many time zones, you might appreciate a night in Bayonne with no need to get up early, followed by a leisurely trip to SJPP to stay another night.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Try looking for trains from Bayonne, not Biarritz. I have found one that leaves at 9:10 pm arriving in SJPP at 10:08. You would have to take a taxi from the airport to Biarritz.

Hello people

hi, am arriving in Bayonne from Charente in France on morning of 8th april, then taking train to sjpp to arrive just after nidday then heading straight out, probably going via valcarlos (as not certain bonaparte route will be open) and depending on how I am going ,will either stay in Valcarlos or head on to Roncesvalles.

Friends who have done the CF before say SJPP is very commercial and i just want to get started.

buen camino

Friends who have done the CF before say SJPP is very commercial and i just want to get started.
It is very commercial, but it is still a very special place and not to be missed. If you think SJPDP is too commercial, wait till you get on the Camino. As wonderful as the Camino is, a lot of people make their living from it.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Where did you stay in Bayonne, and how to you get there from the Biarritz airport? I don't get in until 7:15 PM. That's too late to get to SJPP. Thanks for any help you can give.

hi, am arriving in Bayonne from Charente in France on morning of 8th april, then taking train to sjpp to arrive just after nidday then heading straight out, probably going via valcarlos (as not certain bonaparte route will be open) and depending on how I am going ,will either stay in Valcarlos or head on to Roncesvalles.

buen camino
"Commercial"? No, I didn't find it to be commercial at all. I thought it was a very charming town. Small enough to walk around easily and had some nice little places to eat and have a cold one. The locals I found to be very friendly and helpful to me, especially when I was there on my first Camino. I made it a point to stay there a day on subsequent CF's.
I'm from the US, and believe me I've seen commercial, and SJPdP definitely ain't that.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Where did you stay in Bayonne, and how to you get there from the Biarritz airport? I don't get in until 7:15 PM. That's too late to get to SJPP. Thanks for any help you can give.

Chronoplus bus #14 from Biarritz/Anglet Airport to Gare Bayonne. Last bus 2026 3 March 2016. Note the Chronoplus site has a good map.

http://www.chronoplus.eu/

Euskadi Express #816 2030 from Biarritz/Anglet Airport to Place de Basques in downtown Bayonne. I think the service provider is Transdev.

http://www.transports64.fr/IMG/pdf/ligne_816_euskadi_express_1.09.15_au_30.06.16.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back