• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bayonne - St. Jean Pied de Port

Stanislava

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2017
Hi, I am planning to start my Camino on 04.05.2017 and I want to fly from Brussels to Biarritz. But I can't find any information about trains/buses from Bayonne to St. Jean. Is it possible that there aren't trains and buses exactly on that day?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi, I am planning to start my Camino on 04.05.2017 and I want to fly from Brussels to Biarritz. But I can't find any information about trains/buses from Bayonne to St. Jean. Is it possible that there aren't trains and buses exactly on that day?

Have you tried searching on SNCF's own website http://www.sncf.com/ I just looked and they are listing four trains on 4th May: 07:45, 11:10, 14:55 and 18:06. If the train service is cancelled for track repairs (and this happens a lot!) then there will be a replacement bus service leaving Bayonne station at the same time and for the same price. Just buy a ticket in the station.

Due to current repairs on the train line there is now a substitute bus/autocar for TER 62 trains from Bayonne to SJPdP which is provided by the rr at the same price and same times of the usual TER local line 62 train. This special bus departs from the front of the train station/Gare SNCF. Buy your ticket inside the rr station. There are NO reserved seats; seating is open as on a tram or metro.
The repairs are planned to be finished by 12 May.

See more in French in this SNCF/Ter Aquitaine web--

https://www.ter.sncf.com/aquitaine

Good luck and Bon voyage!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thank you, Mspath and Bradypus! I've searched on raileurope-world.com and then I've chatted with some servant there who told me there is no train, but I couldn't find also a bus for that day. I hope this is a daily transport and I don't need to worry :)

Last edited:
Thank you, Mspath! I've searched on raileurope-world.com and then I've chatted with some servant there who told me there is no train, but I couldn't find also a bus for that day. I hope this is a daily transport and I don't need to worry :)

The SNCF/ter web in French which I posted above lists 4 transports for May 4. It states that these will be CAR whch is an abbreviation for Autocar or bus.
Please reread my above post re where to get the bus etc.

Thank you, Mspath and Bradypus! I've searched on raileurope-world.com and then I've chatted with some servant there who told me there is no train, but I couldn't find also a bus for that day. I hope this is a daily transport and I don't need to worry :)
Don't worry, there are as many buses as there would be trains, leaving at the same time. There is often a replacement bus. There was last April, plenty of luggage space and seats. And another when i went in the opposite direction in September.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have another question. I wanted to sleep at Refuge Municipal in SJPdP and since I haven't found any possibility to book a bed there, I've written an email, which has remained unanswered. If I just arrive at SJPdP without reservation, could it be that there is no place to sleep on May 4th at all?

I have another question. I wanted to sleep at Refuge Municipal in SJPdP and since I haven't found any possibility to book a bed there, I've written an email, which has remained unanswered. If I just arrive at SJPdP without reservation, could it be that there is no place to sleep on May 4th at all?

It is possible but improbable.
Perhaps the following info will help set your mind at ease.

The SJPdP Pilgrim Office is located on the camino at 39 rue de La Citadelle.

The office is open every day and in season from early in the morning until late at night ie after the arrival of the last bus/train. The helpful multi-lingual volunteers can provide you with a Credential and stamp if needed, as well as a list of major albergues and current weather/ trail conditions. They can also help locate a bed/bunk for the night when you are in the office.

Most importantly the office is a great spot to meet/ greet other pilgrims.
...Do plan to stop and chat!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back