• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bayonne/St. Jean Travel Question

StFina

Time of past OR future Camino
CF, June 2012
CF, July 2012
CF, September 2016
Camino Primitivo, May 2017, followed by Camino Frances, late May, 2017
I arrive very late at the Biarritz airport on a Sunday in May to begin the Camino Frances. It is too late for the last train from Bayonne to St. Jean, and all the transfer services are horribly expensive due to the hour and day. I am thinking of staying the night in Bayonne by the train station, and taking the 7;45 train to St. Jean and starting my walk a little later. As I have reservations in Orisson for the night, there is no pressing need to begin walking early.

Does this plan seem sound? All input is appreciated. - Steve

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Sounds very sound to me! There are various places right by the train station in Bayonne. You might want to reserve something if you are arriving late. There's a bus from the airport to the station but I don't know the hours of service.

That is absolutely fine. I stayed at the Hotel Cote Basque, very close to the train station, but there are multiple options. Orisson is very manageable, even on a short day. The only downside of this plan is you won't be able to spend much time in St. Jean, beautiful town.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You will probably meet other pilgrims at the airport whom may have a taxi booked you may be able to share post on this forum for others doing similar staying in St Jean in May i found extremely busy i would organise a taxi from airport as you will miss the last bus coming in so late book a Hostel or Hotel as above poster states. Remember to pick up your pilgrim passport as soon as possible and get it stamped usually quite a lot of queues in St Jean picking up a passport but with you arriving early may not be a problem. Great spot staying at Orrison you will meet your first Pyrenee Horses here with the bell around there neck and watch out for the eagles and Buzzards. Orisson is not too far away from St Jean and advice here is to stop every so often and take a look back were you have come from so many people kissing the hill forget to look around dont forget to bring a peeble from home and place it at the cross on your last mountain before Santiago. Be Safe Enjoy and look after your feet.

I arrive very late at the Biarritz airport on a Sunday in May to begin the Camino Frances. It is too late for the last train from Bayonne to St. Jean, and all the transfer services are horribly expensive due to the hour and day. I am thinking of staying the night in Bayonne by the train station, and taking the 7;45 train to St. Jean and starting my walk a little later. As I have reservations in Orisson for the night, there is no pressing need to begin walking early.

Does this plan seem sound? All input is appreciated. - Steve

A good plan, particularly as if you can't make the 2100 train ... you really want to get settled for the night.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Steve, as mentioned by many, your plan is sound. No problem there. The alternative, which you can possibly do is leave your life and need for preparation behind at home. It is a pilgrimage. Let life take you where you need to go. When you land in Biarritz, step out the front door of the airport and see who has a backpack. If you can find three others, group up and find a taxi. Pay 25 euros each and in an hour, you will be in SJPP, for supper. If you can, get your passport, then find an alberge and then go eat.

Next morning, you can start as leisurely or as fervently as you see fit. The outfitter store opens very early, or, do they ever close? I was not around long enough to figure that out. Fill your water bottle by the church just inside the Gate of St. James, walk thru the Gate, cross the bridge and you will be on your way.

Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back