• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bayonne to Saint Jean Pied de Port

Can we buy tickets on the day for travel from Bayonne to SJPDP. Or best before we leave Australia?

• ANYONE

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ANYONE

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You do not need to buy TER (local train) tickets in advance. You can buy them at the station in Bayonne before you board the train. Check the schedules before you go though, there are only a few per day. Also, this route cancels sometimes when the tracks are down. In this case, you buy a ticket anyway, and they use a bus instead. You catch it just outside of the station.

Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You do not need to buy TER (local train) tickets in advance. You can buy them at the station in Bayonne before you board the train. Check the schedules before you go though, there are only a few per day. Also, this route cancels sometimes when the tracks are down. In this case, you buy a ticket anyway, and they use a bus instead. You catch it just outside of the station.

Buen Camino!
Thanks Rick will buy our tickets on the day. Much appreciated.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It's a beautiful walk along La Voie de la Nive.
Never thought of that, maybe next time. have a couple of bookings so maybe don't have the time. Estimated time to walk? Just thinking maybe we can. Thanks for your reply.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If you have enough time, I'd certainly suggest walking to SJPP :cool: -- but as for getting tickets for public transport, it's actually better to get them at the last moment, as perhaps you may find on the day that you'll need or want to stick around in Bayonne an hour or two longer than you might imagine beforehand, for a meal, or a drink, or just some sightseeing. Also, this will keep you reactive to conditions as they exist on the day, which might include lateness getting in, unexpected local industrial action, delays getting out, and so on and so forth.

Also, unlike mainline trains, local transport prices are not cheaper if you purchase them in advance.

Never thought of that, maybe next time. have a couple of bookings so maybe don't have the time. Estimated time to walk? Just thinking maybe we can. Thanks for your reply.

It's 63.5 K, so three days -- or two perhaps, but I'd suggest 3

The itinerary is :

Bayonne
Ustaritz
Cambo-les-Bains
Macaye
Hélette
Irissarry
Saint-Jean-le-Vieux
Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port

Bayonne - Ustaritz (16 km) ; Ustaritz - Hélette (24,7 km) ; Hélette - St Jean Pied de Port (22,8 km)

There's some elevation and so some climbing, but that'll mainly constitute good preparation for the Pyrenees crossing

It would be a couple of extra days, out from Bayonne to SJPP over 3 days rather than 1, so maybe you can squeeze it in -- the first 16k stage is do-able on the day of your arrival at Bayonne

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Not understanding the lie of the land and unwilling to throw myself totally in the lap of the gods, I have purchased tickets Paris to Bayonne and Bayonne to SJPP on line from the Australian mirror of the RailEurope website (http://www.raileurope.com.au/)

On-line booking was easy and quick, and dealt with timetable issues well. Paris to Bayonne tickets were emailed immediately (print at home), and the Bayonne to SJPP tickets were printed in Melbourne and arrived two days after booking.

If you have the flexibility and willingness to accommodate some uncertainty in the interests of unplanned experiences, then booking locally would be good, but I have accommodation booked in SJPP and Orisson (SJPP to Roncesvalles in one day was possibly a bridge too far for my body) so I opted for certainty...

If you download the app called : trainline EU .... it is great ..... you can buy tickets via the app or just use the app to see all train timetables .... I love it ... so easy .... and when I have had a change of plans I can cancel ticket and got a refund ...

Ultreia

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You can pay for it in advance but you still don't get a ticket until you arrive at Bayonne and present your purchase number.

You might as well wait till you get to Bayonne.

You can't get a reservation for TER trains; its a commuter line. Tickets, once obtained, are good for 90 days.

You can pay for it in advance but you still don't get a ticket until you arrive at Bayonne and present your purchase number.

You might as well wait till you get to Bayonne.

You can't get a reservation for TER trains; its a commuter line. Tickets, once obtained, are good for 90 days.

Don't forget, unless your ticket is pre-dated, French railway tickets need to be validated (compostage de billets) before boarding the train otherwise you could use that ticket over and over again . . .

Ticket-validation-machine.png

Or get fined if a ticket inspector isn't of a charitable frame of mind.

Similarly the bus ticket from Biarritz airport to Bayonne needs to be validated too (usually just behind the driver's seat).

I need suggestions about how to transfer from Irun to SJPP, please?

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You may have found the answer already, but it's not complicated.
1.cross the french border and hop into any train towards Bayonne
2. change the train and go to SJPP

If you like bus more, go to Pamplona (train/bus) and take a bus to SJPP.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back