• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bayonne to SJPdP

Krimpa

Time of past OR future Camino
Having booked my flights, I arrive in Bordeaux at 9am on 9/5 which I had hoped would allow me enough time to get by train to SJPdP. However the earliest departure gets me to Bayonne at 6.46 pm which looks like it is after the last train leaves. Any pointers please or an idea on how easy/what cost a taxi is would be much appreciated

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Taxis parked in front of the Bayonne rr station wait for fares. Their quoted price for going to SJPdP last October was 100 euros.

Last edited:
There has to be something wrong with your research, if you meant 9 AM?
Shuttle bus from Bordeaux airport to train station: every 30 minutes and it takes about 30 minutes to get to the gare,
Train from Bordeaux to Bayonne: dep 13h51, arr 15h32 or dep 15h51, arr 17h32,
Train from Bayonne to SJPdP: dep 21h10, arr 22h28.
Pilgrim Office is open until the last train arrives.
Or stay in Bordeaux which is a great place to spend the day and night for a visit, Bayonne is just as nice!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Is 9 May weekend a holiday? Using SNCF site I get no trains Saturday 9 May at all. Except if I change the criteria from 'direct' ... in which case I get seats via Toulouse or the TER service involving a bus to Facture Biganos.

It also works going Bordeaux to Facture Biganos. Facture Biganos to Dax. Dax to Bayonne. This involves bus and TER trains. However the first leg doesnt work with 9 AM arrival at Bordeaux.

The TER Aquitaine page isn't cooperating either. There was a strike 9-10 April ... and I think thats part of the issue. Try again Monday.

On Monday try TER Aquitaine website. Look up the schedule for TER 61 ... Bordeaux to Hendaye.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is 9 May weekend a holiday? Using SNCF site I get no trains Saturday 9 May at all. Except if I change the criteria from 'direct' ... in which case I get seats via Toulouse or the TER service involving a bus to Facture Biganos.

It also works going Bordeaux to Facture Biganos. Facture Biganos to Dax. Dax to Bayonne. This involves bus and TER trains. However the first leg doesnt work with 9 AM arrival at Bordeaux.
WTF, I just did a similar search and came up for blank on the 9 May. I have not heard anything about a strike, wierd.

Having booked my flights, I arrive in Bordeaux at 9am on 9/5 which I had hoped would allow me enough time to get by train to SJPdP. However the earliest departure gets me to Bayonne at 6.46 pm which looks like it is after the last train leaves. Any pointers please or an idea on how easy/what cost a taxi is would be much appreciated
Accept my apologies, there seems to be a problem with the SNCF on that day. I have no idea what they are up to.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yes it is a holiday weekend. May 8 is a national French holiday which commemorates the end of WW2.
Meredith, I can not imagine they have cancelled all train service on the 9th. Can you?

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Perhaps. However as of this moment the Intercites trains on 9/5 from Bayonne to Toulouse which I mentioned earlier are still listed as available.

We had the same issues come up for that weekend last year.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Is it unreasonable to expect that upon arrival in Bayonne we would be able to purchace train tickets to SJPP at the station or should we be pre booking ... since we are driving to Bayonne in a rental car which we will be dropping there I am unsure of our exact arrival time so pre booking didn't make much sense to me ... ditto for booking express bouricot ... hoping I don't get there and find there is no way to SJPP without prearranging transportation in advance. We were hoing to take the train.

You CAN purchase tickets in the Bayonne rr station/ Gare SNCF for SJPdP. The price is roughly 10 euros. The train will go as far as Cambo les Bains and from there your journey will be on a rr supplied autocar/bus. The one ticket covers both sections of your trip. Total journey time is roughly 1 and 1/2 hours.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Is it unreasonable to expect that upon arrival in Bayonne we would be able to purchace train tickets to SJPP at the station or should we be pre booking ... since we are driving to Bayonne in a rental car which we will be dropping there I am unsure of our exact arrival time so pre booking didn't make much sense to me ... ditto for booking express bouricot ... hoping I don't get there and find there is no way to SJPP without prearranging transportation in advance. We were hoing to take the train.

You cannot reserve a seat on TER trains and buses. The service from Bayonne to SJPdP is SNCF TER Aquitaine #62. I don't know if there is a passenger load limit.

It is not a very large train and the resultant transfer to a bus in Cambo les Bains, maybe 60+ passengers at the most, but still none of this makes sense to me. Maybe this is part of the Pope's visit:confused:.

I never remember a work stoppage being scheduled that far in advance. Maybe the cows are be herded on the tracks that day:eek:!

The TER site for TER 61 showed up with 'Greve' 9-10 APRIL not 9 May. Usually the schedule ... even for days after the strike ... is not available during a strike. And it probably didn't get reset for the weekend.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back