• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bayonne to SJPP traffic problem

Casi Yim

Time of past OR future Camino
Hello, I am Casi from Hong Kong, I will arrived Paris in this 8th July, take TGV to Bayonne, but I arrived at 10:44pm which is too late to go SJPP, so I decided to stay at Bayonne overnight.

So I checked the earliest train at bayonne, but it starts at 11am. I need to stay at Roncesvalles on time(9/7), then I checked the road is from D810> D932> D918.

1. Where can I get the earliest bus to SJPP?
2. Do I have to go to counter or buy the ticket from the driver?
3. I can't see any reservation on the internet.

Thank you so much <3

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The first bus/train is at 11:10. You buy the ticket at the train station or from the driver, no reservation required.

SNCF TER as described by Falcon. You cannot reserve a seat on TER services.

or

Transports64 bus 811 departs Gare Bayonne (to Tardets) 0810 arrives St Palais 0915; and,
Transports64 bus 810 departs St Palais 1140 arrives SJPdP 1215

You can reserve a seat on Transports64 buses.

Transports64 -see 'interurbains/info reseau' scroll to Fiche Horaires and click 'retrouvez ici'
http://www.transports64.fr/transports-64?lang=fr

This is no advantage over TER services that leave Gare Bayonne 1110 and arrive SJPdP 1223.

You might try Express Bourricot - a private hire taxi that caters to pilgrims.
http://www.expressbourricot.com/

I would suggest that leaving SJPdP after 1200 is too late ... you will risk getting lost in the dark on the mountain.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

or

Transports64 bus 811 departs Gare Bayonne (to Tardets) 0810 arrives St Palais 0915; and,

Transports64 -see 'interurbains/info reseau' scroll to Fiche Horaires and click 'retrouvez ici'

This is no advantage over TER services that leave Gare Bayonne 1110 and arrive SJPdP 1223.

I would suggest that leaving SJPdP after 1200 is too late ... you will risk getting lost in the dark on the mountain.

Unless you walk up to Orrison and spend a lovely night there. You can get en early start in the morning and reduce that big walk on the first day by 8km. It might seem like only 8km, but those are all uphill.
It's an idea for you so you can feel like you are not losing out on a day. (But really, you can never lose out on a day. Even if you are waylaid somewhere; you are still in Spain and you are still on the Camino!)

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

or

thank you so much :D

I heard there are some yellow sign is not true and hard to find, how can I make sure I can get through the mountain?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
There generally are taxis available in front of the Bayonne railroad station. The quoted price autumn 2014 for a ride to SJPdP was 100 euros. Be sure to ask the price before you enter the taxi.

thank you so much :D

I heard there are some yellow sign is not true and hard to find, how can I make sure I can get through the mountain?

The route is well indicated. People do get lost in conditions of cloud and dark when its difficult to see the markings. So to make sure that you can cross the mountains safely, give yourself enough time and travel when weather conditions are reasonably good. Listen to the recommendations at the St Jean pilgrims office.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back