• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bayonne to SJPP with bike

LVDWD

Time of past OR future Camino
Having a hard time getting any data on this and time running out.
Looking to either ride my bike (which will be newly bought in Anglet) to SJPP or take the train bus combo.
If I ride there are some interesting alternate routes that probably involve to much climbing for my first day so was thinking about taking the main road up to SJPP after first riding along the Nive to Cambio Les Bains.
For those that have travelled the main road in a car or cab (even better on a bike) how busy is it ?
Here is one riders description of the route:
"Easy ride on primarily on major roads with most of it having decent shoulder to ride on. The first ten kilometers or so were along an excellent paved bike path that bordered the west side of the Nive River (Chemin de Halage de la Nive). The path starts from the Bayonne city center so that there's no concerns at all about traffic when getting out of town."

Could do the train bus combo or the taxi of course. Or even ride to Cambio Les Bains and take the bus.
However I can never seem to get definitve data on the train bus combo with regards to the schedule and more importantly whether you can take a bike on the bus.
Anyone have any data on either?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks yes I have see that siter before. But its not easy to use and it will not let you put a date in other than todays. You have to go forward using the arrow. But I am going to assume that each day is the same regardless. Pretty sure I will bike it anyway assuming the weather is reasonable.
Appreciate the reply.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have walked from SJPP to Bayonne and can certainly concur that the section along the Nive is flat as a pancake. We more or less used the Voie de la Nive route, which was very pleasant. Undulating but not ridiculously hilly. You could probably stick to roads more if you wanted. At one point we walked through armpit high grass through a field which would be demanding on a bike, but it was only for a hundred metres at most.
When we walked part of the bike path was closed and a detour took us onto a main main road (I wondered if it was a motorway as a couple of people honked at us which made me think we shouldn't have been there. The shoulder was very wide and we walked towards oncoming traffic, but took the first exit we could and muddle around until we found a farmer who redirected us to the river path). I would not be put off by this!

Thanks yes I have see that siter before. But its not easy to use and it will not let you put a date in other than todays. You have to go forward using the arrow. But I am going to assume that each day is the same regardless. Pretty sure I will bike it anyway assuming the weather is reasonable.
Appreciate the reply.

We can't do anything else for you but give you the service provider's website as Margaret has done. If you can't make the site work for you then you are advised to contact the service provider by phone or e-mail as per contact information provided on the site.

If you have concerns about the road from Bayonne to SJPdP it is suggested that you go on a virtual trip using the street view feature on google earth.

I have walked from SJPP to Bayonne and can certainly concur that the section along the Nive is flat as a pancake. We more or less used the Voie de la Nive route, which was very pleasant. Undulating but not ridiculously hilly. You could probably stick to roads more if you wanted. At one point we walked through armpit high grass through a field which would be demanding on a bike, but it was only for a hundred metres at most.
When we walked part of the bike path was closed and a detour took us onto a main main road (I wondered if it was a motorway as a couple of people honked at us which made me think we shouldn't have been there. The shoulder was very wide and we walked towards oncoming traffic, but took the first exit we could and muddle around until we found a farmer who redirected us to the river path). I would not be put off by this!
Thanks for the reply. Was the way well marked? Was there any long stretches with really rough terrain?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Was the way well marked? Was there any long stretches with really rough terrain?
I have just re-read my journal to refresh my mind. Turns out Helette to Espelette was very very hilly! Some gravel roads, nothing too bad on foot, can't remember it well enough to say whether it would be tricky on a bike. Espelette is not on the trail, but we diverted there to stay in the albergue. The route out of town was on a very busy road with no shoulder so we ended up backtracking 3km to a GR trail which joined La Voie at Cambo les Bains. It was particularly beautiful but included climbing over stiles and walking through fields so I would NOT recommend that on a bike!
Marking was haphazard at best. There is a dedicated symbol, but they are placed infrequently.
You can find directions here: http://www.xacobeo.fr/ZE1.11.Aqu.Nive.htm
If you're on a bike I imagine you'd make it to Helette in one day - nice enough albergue there and grocer for food. I'd ride it rather than take a bus any day.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back