• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Baztán in mid May 2022?

• Thread starter Former member 99290
  • Start date
F

Former member 99290

Update - Our plans for our two months in France and Spain in 2022 are still evolving. Time in Spain will be for walking, time in France with family and friends.

One thing that hasn’t changed is VdeP from Seville (1 April) to as far as Zamora. From there we make our way back to Paris (still working out the most efficient way - have allowed 2 days as I’d prefer trains over flying if possible.)

A few weeks later - mid May - we will be back in south west France - and think we have just enough time to walk Camino Baztan from Bayonne to Pamplona. Some accommodation gaps on the Baztan at the moment, but by next Spring albergues and others may have opened again. Hope so.

So, I don’t really have a question … just sharing where we are at. Happy for any thoughts / suggestions. 😎

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Some accommodation gaps on the Baztan at the moment, but by next Spring albergues and others may have opened again. Hope so.
Albergues were thin on the ground anyway.
It's a wonderful walk. We did Bayonne-Esplette-Amaiur-Berroetta-Lantz-Pamplona - staying in Albergues only in Berroetta and Lantz.

Albergues were thin on the ground anyway.
It's a wonderful walk. We did Bayonne-Esplette-Amaiur-Berroetta-Lantz-Pamplona - staying in Albergues only in Berroetta and Lantz.
🙏 that’s more or less what we are looking at - except wondering about Olague rather than Lantz for stage 4 to make the next day a little shorter. But no accommodation except albergue which Gronze says is closed at least for now. I feel confident we will be able to do it. 🤞🤞🤞

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Lantz was really nice, and I was happy we chose ro stay there rather than Olague, which felt empty. One option to shorten the walk into Pamplona (if you have an extra day) is to walk 3.25km from the Baztan at Sourauren over to the Frances at Zabaldika(yellow line in map below), a very special albergue taken care of by the Sisters of the Sacred Heart. Then a short morning's walk into Pamplona.
20211116_150513.jpg

Lantz was really nice, and I was happy we chose ro stay there rather than Olague, which felt empty. One option to shorten the walk into Pamplona (if you have an extra day) is to walk 3.25km from the Baztan at Sourauren over to the Frances at Zabaldika(yellow line in map below), a very special albergue taken care of by the Sisters of the Sacred Heart. Then a short morning's walk into Pamplona.
View attachment 113384
Oh thank you, that’s great info. Will definitely look into that 🙏

While on the subject of options - is there a way from the Baztan to head to SJPP instead of Pamplona? I know of the Voie de la Nive but I’m quite keen on the Baztan - maybe there’s a place where the two join or a ‘turn off’ a day or so out of Pamplona to go over to SJPP.

We have a good friend there and we could then easily head back to Bayonne. We can also go there the days after arriving in Pamplona - but time is a little tight.

maybe there’s a place where the two join or a ‘turn off’ a day or so out of Pamplona to go over to SJPP.
Not really. It's quite wrinkly terrain before Lantz, and no easy way over. But after Lantz, here's a route you could walk that takes off from Burutain It's 7.45km from Lantz (towards Pamplona) to the turn off, and then another 14.2 to Zubiri. That way you'd get the best of the Baztan, over the pass to Lantz, and then head to SJPP from there.
20211116_153521.jpg

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Not really. It's quite wrinkly terrain before Lantz, and no easy way over. But after Lantz, here's a route you could walk that takes off from Burutain It's 7.45km from Lantz (towards Pamplona) to the turn off, and then another 14.2 to Zubiri. That way you'd get the best of the Baztan, over the pass to Lantz, and then head to SJPP from there.
View attachment 113386
I like it! I haven’t been on the Frances for a very long time other than the odd crossover day and one quite fun experience walking as reverse pilgrims from Obanos to Pamplona after the Aragones.

But have read enough to know we’d be well advised to book a bed if planning to stay in Zubiri. Will have to see whether Domi is willing to venture on to the Frances for a day or two back to SJPP 🤣

I just checked Wikiloc. There's also a GR route that goes direct from Lantz:
Edit. It's much hillier! :eek:

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back