• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Baztan Valley albergues are closed

Status
Not open for further replies.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Any word on whether and when they might open later this summer/fall? Hoping to walk in September.

I think closed for the year will remain as closed for the year.
Thank you, Tincatinker. Just wondering, though, the original thread seemed to say closed 2020 into 2021 and I'm understanding that many/most albergues on the Aragones and other routes have reopened or will be reopening this summer/fall 2021. Why might Baztan be different? Any definitive word from the Friends of the Camino Baztan association or others?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Sorry John, I should pay more attention to dates in threads ( I really ought to know better). That said I can’t see anything that offers much hope at present. A search across gronze, eroski and others keeps on hitting cerrado. Things may change by September.

Thank you, Tincatinker. Just wondering, though, the original thread seemed to say closed 2020 into 2021 and I'm understanding that many/most albergues on the Aragones and other routes have reopened or will be reopening this summer/fall 2021. Why might Baztan be different? Any definitive word from the Friends of the Camino Baztan association or others?
Hi John, it's not looking good for the Baztán in 2021.

This was recently posted on the official Facebook page: 'Unfortunately, it's confirmed: Urdax, Berroeta, Lanz and Olagüe pilgrimage hostels will remain closed in 2021.'

Sad to see this.

Thank you, Nuala OC. I hadn't discovered the association's FB page but emailed both the French and Spanish albergues on the Baztan yesterday and woke up to read their replies this morning. All four of the Spanish albergues (Urdax, Lantz, Berroeta, and Olague) will indeed remain closed through at least September and until the end of 2021 as is the case with the albergue in Espelette. There are, of course, other accommodations that are open along the way in France and Spain but a bit expensive for a pilgrim's budget and I'm not sure that I want to camp along the way. Disappointed, of course, since I was really looking forward to walking the Baztan before taking the Aragones back across the mountains and following the Piemonte to Narbonne. So I guess I'll just have to start in St. Jean (or maybe Irun) for the first leg of the journey.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Since @John Saxon has got the update he wanted (well, not the answer he wanted, but some clarification at least), maybe it would be best to close this thread to avoid confusion. If anyone has new information, a new thread would be welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back