• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

BBC "Pilgrimage With Simon Reeve"

bbc.pilgrimage

BBC Two are looking for people who are traveling the Santiago de Compostela via the Camino Frances between 30th May – 2nd June for a three part series on the history of pilgrimage. The prime time series explores the rich history of pilgrimage and its recent resurgence including by those who are not necessarily religious.

We are looking for unusual and interesting stories to include in the programme. Is there a special reason behind why you’re making a pilgrimage; or are you doing the journey on an unusual mode of transport; or perhaps you think it can bring in a new perspective to your life? If so, we want to hear from you.

RELEVANT DATES:

We are filming between 30th May – 2nd June so only pilgrims doing the Camino on these dates need apply. In addition we need pilgrims in the following locations on these specific days:
30th May: Starting out from St Jean Pied du Port or Roncesvalles.
2nd June: Pilgrims arriving in Santiago de Compostella and/or Finesterre.

Please send us a couple of lines explaining your motivations for doing your pilgrimage to bbc.pilgrimage@liontv.co.uk
Due to high volume of submissions, we’ll only be responding to some of the stories but wish you well on your pilgrimage!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
It's such a shame I'm only 2 days behind you guys in SJPDP. I would have loved to be a part of this documentary. :)

Man this sounds awesome. Wish I could get in on it.

Good luck! I always enjoy watching stuff over the Camino and seeing others' experiences and interpretations of the same places I visited and things they found that I didn't.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Looking for something different? I am from the US but live in Thailand doing volunteer work. I am 68 and will be walking the 484- miles with no money or food!

My mission…which I decided to accept after watching the movie “THE WAY” is to share the knowledge from this beautiful Buddhist culture and to save one child’s life in Kenya. I don’t do anything for personal profit. Just want to help people in need.

To learn more about me, check out my Blog “Jim’s Camino de Santiago
http://wp.me/p2xjTs-eB
I’m EXCITED…Jim Kaszynski you can also Google my name.
I have a US phone # that rings on my computer here in Thailand
815-200-4004

Happened to meet the shooting crew on 1st June shooting an interview with an English couple between Castrojeriz and Itero de la Vega and when I stopped for breakfast in Itero, they arrived shortly after for their own brekkie.
Going to be a 3 part series on B.B.C. 2 this coming Autumn/Winter looking at the history of pilgrimages and their current meaning in a 21st century society, they were heading onto Santiago later that day and had managed to get approval for filming inside the Cathedral.
In addition to the Way of Saint James they were also including the Holy Land and Rome pilgrimage routes as part of their filming so expect a more wide reaching series than just a focus on the Camino Frances.

Seamus

Attachments

• IMAG0796_BURST002.jpg
    IMAG0796_BURST002.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 887
You must not have been far behind me Seamus, they were just arriving at Itero when I passed them. Had a good chat with one of them :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The series on pilgrimages will start being aired on B.B.C. 2 on Tuesday 3rd December 2013 so make a note in your phone/diary.

If this is Pilgrimage with Simon Reeves it is well worth watching. We have already seen this in Aust. Janet

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The BBC documentary series on Pilgrimages, in part filmed in the early summer on the Camino, is being shown in the UK starting next Tuesday 3rd Dec. It should be accessible on BBC iplayer after that , although I know there are restrictions on which countries one can download and view from.

Trailer here:

Interview with Simon Reeve in the Daily Mail here :
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...ved-tears-making-series-ancient-pilgrims.html

"Pilgrimage With Simon Reeve, in which Simon meets inspirational modern travellers, experiences extraordinary sights and learns about the forgotten aspects of pilgrimage, including the vice, thrills and dangers that awaited travellers. Simon explores the faith, the hopes, desires, and even the food that helped to keep Medieval Britons and more recent travellers on the road."

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
He was interviewed on that semi-religious programme on BBC1 on Sunday morning. It looks like a good series. I‘ll be on the Camino for episode 2, so knowing my luck the Camino will be covered in that one. Still, I can't really complain... :)

Your luck is out tyrrek - the Camino is episode 2. Janet

PS I start on the Camino on the 13th. Maybe our paths will cross

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Keep an eye and ear out for another documentary about the Camino.."Walking the Camino; Six Ways to Santiago" is a beautiful film. It is showing up in theaters and has won 7 of the 12 international film festivals. The director/producer is Lydia B. Smith from Portland, OR. Martin Sheen calls it a "brilliant documentary". You can see trailers on YouTube.

Right now there is nothing near me but I will keep checking and possibly they will release a DVD. The movie trailer harkens back many fond memories for sure. Thanks Patty :)

Mark

Do keep checking the website. There will be a DVD released at some point. It's getting more and more attention, so hopefully it will be more widely distributed soon.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Just seen this broadcast with mostly positive feelings.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Episode 2 of "Pilgrimage" with Simon Reeve was shown on BBC 2 this evening (UK). Excellent program - presents some highlights of Camino Frances very well. Still available on BBC iPlayer for those in the UK. Hopefully will appear on YouTube in due course.

Last night's BBC2 Pilgrimage was pretty good. I'm not sure Simon Reeve is the right presenter for it but nonetheless it managed to convey some of the Camino very well. There was obviously a very tight budget; squeezing Santiago, Rome and all points in between into a one hour programme isn't for the purist and takes ruthless editing. It would be good to see a documentary following people all the way, blisters and all. I'd much rather see that than weeks and weeks of mindless pap like 'I'm a celebrity get me out of here'. These days TV is made for the lowest common denominator with a short attention span.

Did not like it at all. Too much info in too short time. Yes it managed to convey " a small bit " of the Camino.Hmm maybe I'm too critical but I didn't like the presenter at all. And I do hope that no viewer will follow his way of wearing a backpack.
I'd rather read a book...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I must agree that it was a disappointment. The program tried to cover too much territory in too short a time. No depth or real content was provided, rather snapshots of several locations along the Camino.

Too bad as there are some good programs out there about the Camino. In fact here in The Netherlands a 4 or 5 part program following several participants along the Camino was broadcasted this past year.

I didn't see part one and doubt that I will tune in for part 3.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I enjoyed the 3 part BBC programme fronted by Simon Reeve's.
But then I enjoy any programme about interesting people and places so maybe I'm not a good judge.
Regds
Gerard

I think the title of this thread - and the programme - says much about the BBC approach, billing the celebrity presenter alongside the subject. I think it's hard to meet the weight of expectation of us camino people, as the programme is interested in a wider perspective on pilgrimage than our Santiago. Our hero presenter has to rush across the continent by car and train in order to cover all the bases. And this appears to be leading to a crescendo finish in Jerusalem next week - in effect, the programme's own pilgrimage destination.
I do find Mr Reeve a bit smug and born to wear a naturally patronising smile. All of which is perfect grist for the mill if you are actually going to walk the camino and open yourself to a transformative experience. But sadly, that's rather beyond the scope of this programme and, other than in exceptional circumstances, outside the paradigm of television programme-makers.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I join the list of disappointed. I think the program is too ambitious given it's time-scale. I felt a little cheated about the time allocated and the manner our beloved Camino was so superficially handled. But hey, that's just my opinion.

Has anyone managed to watch this on BBC iPlayer - replay? We got an error message and are not sure if it is the computer we are using, lack of bandwidth, or what? From some of the comments above maybe we are not missing anything.

Has anyone managed to watch this on BBC iPlayer - replay? .

Yes, just tried again and it works fine. I think they are worth watching - some like, some obviously don't. It's not a documentary on the Camino but a look at pilgrimage across Europe past and present, focusing only on the highlights.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.