• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

BBC Program "Celebs" on the Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Would you please tell me, can I watch these programs online later? Pilgrimage with Simon Reeve or this "Celebrities"on CAMINO"

Is there an archive or a program library in BBC2?

I was on the receiving end of a German film crew for a couple of days in 2016, just after Burgos. They were shooting 'OGOT', or 'Old Guys On Tour'. A whole lot of people with small and big cameras, sound guys, fixers and a cast of four players. One of them was a Dutchman by birth whom I spoke briefly to a few times. He told me they were making a kind of documentary about the Camino with four protagonists, all former gameshow hosts or otherwise big tv personalities. Somewhat like the BBC premisse.

But they got on my nerves real fast. It seemed like they were always eating or drinking somewhere when I ran into them. Loud. Very in your face. It took me two days to see one of them actually walk. They were obviously skipping bits and mostly travelling by bus or car. In Hontanas, they were eating again in the hostal where I ended up. A great place, where it was hard not to notice that the heart and soul of the owner were in it. It was a real oasis, clean and relaxed.

Apparently, a scene had to be shot there of stamping the credencial. For me and the two English gentlemen I walked with that day, Sandra (the owner) applied the stamp with great care and attention. She added a little drawing and took the time to learn our names. But that was not good enough for the German crew. After a lot of explaining and discussion, Sandra let one of the German leads do it himself. It might have been a better visual, but she looked sad and uncomfortable about it.

That little event stuck with me for some reason, and I got myself all worked up about it during my walk the day after. I came to realize that the occurence bothered me so much because it wasn't just about the stamp. That sello is Sandra's business card. It's also her bond with the Camino and the pilgrims. It symbolizes her income and her hostal, not to mention her passion and pride. Quite a lot to take away for a better shot, and it pissed me off.

But thanks to that anger, I was in Fromista an hour earlier than I expected, and never ran into the filmcrew again from then on. I hope that the BBC crew have behaved a little better.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Everyone seems to have written it off even before we've laid eyes on it. It might actually be good. The BBC does tend to make descent TV (and so they should with their TV tax!).

If it was Channel 5 then I'd run a mile.

Oh no, I haven't written it off just yet. I'll watch it as unbiased as I can. But having had experience with the German crew, I know that behind the cameras a lot goes on that can affect the balance of the camino for those dealing with them. And because of the volume of people involved in a tv-production, it's like watching a swarm of locust descending upon a field. It is overwhelming.

I am coming out of the woodwork for this. I hardly ever watch tv, but I have the time and date of this one on my calendar. Why? So I can see some of the Camino. That is if I remember to watch it! I have my own verdict on The Way, but when I have listened to pilgrims who love it, I do not tell them what I think. It did it for them, and who am I to throw a spanner in the works? And for those who are afraid of millions more pilgrims: unless you have access to BBC then you won't see it anyway. And as it falls within the religion basket, not too many folks will watch it. Hmm! Glad to get that out. If you want to shout at me, just use the red smiley please!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Would you please tell me, can I watch these programs online later? Pilgrimage with Simon Reeve or this "Celebrities"on CAMINO"

Sorry,unable to confirm,but the Simon Reeve one is older and can be found on dvd.

I hope it is ok to post this. Thought it maybe of interest, however, should it not be acceptable please remove.

Thought this maybe of interest to some. Although I’m sure the majority of you will know the script by heart. I know for me I’m looking forward to this programme. “Pilgrimage: The Road to Santiago. The programme will be on Friday 16th March at 9pm, just wanted to share.

Attachments

• E9928A08-0E5F-46F8-AA38-CB577F33B267.png
    E9928A08-0E5F-46F8-AA38-CB577F33B267.png
    3 MB · Views: 18
I hope it is ok to post this. Thought it maybe of interest, however, should it not be acceptable please remove.

Thought this maybe of interest to some. Although I’m sure the majority of you will know the script by heart. I know for me I’m looking forward to this programme. “Pilgrimage: The Road to Santiago. The programme will be on Friday 16th March at 9pm, just wanted to share.

Famous for nothing,celeb wannabes,just more reality TV tripe i would imagine mate.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
:D

And note that you cannot view it online on the BBC website (neither live nor later on iPlayer) unless you have a UK TV licence and if you are in Scotland you will see the rugby game Edinburgh v Munster instead.

You mean it's not going to be broadcast in South Africa????
:(:( :p

Oh well, at least when it does get here, in about 2 years time, I'll know from you lot whether it's worth watching or not :D.
Jill

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
For the actual 'celebrities' it may arouse their 'inner pilgrim' and they might feel moved to return and do it properly... For the watching 'sofa-huggers' it may do the same - or at least get them thinking...
As for stimulating the 'hordes' to descend on the Camino routes - eerrrrmmm.... we are those hordes folks...!!
Everyone is a possible pilgrim and entitled to peregrinate... innit! ;):p

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
[QUOTE=".... but I'll guess this will be
more like Brian Sewell's The Naked Pilgrim ![/QUOTE]

Not sure if you are knocking it, and I appreciate that each to their own tastes, though when I viewed Brian Sewell's series - admittedly many years ago - I was both impressed and moved by parts of it.

MRSGoGo, if you pay your tv licence in UK, and they know where you are with their electronic spies, you ought to be able to get it on catchback or whatever it is called. if I miss it I will not be able to do that as I live in Ireland. While we can access the live broadcasting, we cannot access the archives. At least I can't.

In an interview,D. McGee admitted the hike was a struggle,she had blistered feet and boots dug into her ankles, and if it was not for her companions she would have gone home after 3 days.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
MRSGoGo, if you pay your tv licence in UK, and they know where you are with their electronic spies, you ought to be able to get it on catchback or whatever it is called. if I miss it I will not be able to do that as I live in Ireland. While we can access the live broadcasting, we cannot access the archives. At least I can't.
Kirkie, thanks!
I am far away UK. We have VPN -system, so we can watch BBC via internet. Only live broadcasting probably.

Date and time for episode 1:
16 Mar 2018, 21:00 - BBC2 except Scotland
17 Mar 2018, 21:00 - BBC2 Scotland
18 Mar 2018, 13:45 - BBC2 except Scotland
18 Mar 2018, 14:00 - BBC2 Scotland
19 Mar 2018, 23:15 - BBC2 except Scotland, Wales
Thanks, Kathar1na, this list is easy to copy, and might imprint itself on my brain to help me remember to turn on the tv.

Last edited by a moderator:
There was a write up in the Times yesterday regarding this programme, when I got to the bit about two of the so called celebrities say, on meeting a monk at Rabenal, that the monks life choice is a result of being brainwashed, I stopped reading.
I think it is going to be as I feared, a shambles, but with an open mind I will give it a watch on the 16th.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
There was a write up in the Times yesterday regarding this programme, when I got to the bit about two of the so called celebrities say, on meeting a monk at Rabenal, that the monks life choice is a result of being brainwashed, I stopped reading.
I think it is going to be as I feared, a shambles, but with an open mind I will give it a watch on the 16th.
Waka, and others who might not really want to watch these programmes, don't watch them! If it will upset you, why give yourself the grief? I will try to watch them, but if real life is more important, then I won't. But I do want to try to see them, just because art imitates life, and there is always something to see and learn, and if I don't like it, I am in charge of the remote... Just don't let it upset you, ignore it, watch the daisies instead. Though at 9pm you won't see much happening with the daisies! Buen camino, be happy.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I read the review in The Times and saw nothing about a monk at Rabanal. Can you provide a link, or copy and paste it here? Thanks.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I read the review in The Times and saw nothing about a monk at Rabenal. Can you provide a link, or copy and paste it here? Thanks.
Saturdays Times main section page 80 4th column half way down, and I quote:

At the CSJ hostel in Rabanal del Camino near Leon a Benedictine monk meets Byrn and Rowe, and is seemingly unfazed when Rowe says that the monks life choice is a result of being brainwashed.

Saturdays Times main section page 80 4th column half way down, and I quote:

At the CSJ hostel in Rabanal del Camino near Leon a Benedictine monk meets Byrn and Rowe, and is seemingly unfazed when Rowe says that the monks life choice is a result of being brainwashed.
Thanks, Waka. Google took me to a different review in The Times magazine. I don't see why one short remark by one of the participants should lead you to condemn the whole series as a shambles before you have watched any of it, though I acknowledge your intention to watch it "with an open mind".

Even if the end product looks fantastic, it will still be an inauthentic product. Everything is staged. Everything is highly edited to create the mood that the producers want.

We had a spate of reality shows that filmed in my town a while ago, and they're intrusive. Even what looks, on tv, like a simple shot at a restaurant goes down like this in real life:

- The film crew arrives and cordons off a portion of the restaurant. They set up a camera and check the lighting.
- A few people gather to see what's going on. The crew has people who want to be in the shot sign waivers.
- The 'celebs' arrive. The film crew keeps the area clear of on-lookers so that the celeb's arrival looks natural.
- The crew selects which of the on-lookers get to be in the scene. They are let in, a few at a time. Some are selected to interact with the celebs. Most are simply placed in the area as background decoration.

Other scenes are shot guerrilla style, where a camera crew just shows up and starts filming. They get the waivers signed afterwards.

I don't have an open mind on reality shows these days. I've seen them being filmed, I hate them, and I cannot imagine that this will be any good.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
So many negative comments. These actors have got to earn a crust (they too have families to feed and mortgages to pay), the camera crews and producers will have injected large dollops of licence payers money into the local economy and on BBC2 there will be dozens of viewers watching on a Friday night.
Overcrowded Camino Frances? When I walked it there was hardly the hordes one expects at Mecca.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
and on BBC2 there will be dozens of viewers watching on a Friday night.

:). It's broadcast right after Gardener's World ...

What can I say? we're a nation of gardeners. More than 2m people watch Gardeners World. For context, that's sometimes more than Top Gear! And I'd hazard a guess the demographics probably match up pretty well.

Just to clarify I don't particularly care about the program, I'll watch it and enjoy camino memories but that's about it.

For those in the UK.
I don't know if this has already been posted here recently but I just noticed on the Guardian that the BBC TV show Pilgrimage: The Road to Santiago starts Friday 16th at 9pm on BBC Two. https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-...image-road-to-santiago-journey-self-discovery

I am in Thailand now but am hoping someone in my family will be able to record this for me to watch prior to my vdlp walk next month.

I guess this means that the number of British walkers will increase over the next couple of years

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
"The celebrities leave a hostel in solidarity with Heather when she senses racism" (episode 2 summary). Oh dear. But in light of the recent forum discussion on this very topic, might be interesting to see different perspectives.

NomadBoomer - it says it will be available on iPlayer after broadcast, so you might catch it?

Or they may be put off ;)
Thanks for posting, it reminded me to watch it. (I don't expect much, I hope I'm wrong)
I forgot about being able to record. That is if you know how to do that. I do not expect anything, except to be pleased to see some of the Camino. I am currently following two blogs, and one has no dialogue, just a very fast forward on each day of the Cf. It is nearly 13 years since I walked it, so no surprise when so much is forgotten! The other one is interesting, and worth waiting for the gems within it.

When is it being shown? No doubt it will help swell the numbers even more :oops:
Its on in the UK this Friday 16th March 21.00 BBC 2.
I'm not a fan of these celebrity programmes, but I will be watching it but taking it with a large pinch of salt. How ever hard they try to make it realistic they can never experience the true Camino surrounded by film crew.
Timmy Mallet a zaney tv celebrity, who used to wave a giant sponge mallet around, ventured forth on the Camino on his bike a few weeks back. I'm not sure how he fared it would be interesting to know if he kept a blogg?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Episode 1 was a very enyoyable hour’s viewing! Some very nice cinematography which showed the Camino at its best and a good range of backgrounds of the celebs going into it which defined their preconceptions.

Yeah, not bad at all. More driven by the personalities than the surroundings but that's fine, arguably a lesson in how the camino humanises us all. Was a bit frustrating that they only went such a short distance, if anything the amount of moaning about how supposedly tough it is will actually mean fewer English people infesting the camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yeah, not bad at all. More driven by the personalities than the surroundings but that's fine, arguably a lesson in how the camino humanises us all. Was a bit frustrating that they only went such a short distance, if anything the amount of moaning about how supposedly tough it is will actually mean fewer English people infesting the camino.

TBF the first day (or two in their case) is enough to break your spirits a little if you don’t know what to expect... and certainly if you don’t know that things get better.

I think the scenery will definitely tempt a few :)

We stayed at Orisson in 2012 and the bunks in our dorm were very solid and made of wood. Perhaps they were in different dormitories or maybe those wooden bunks have been changed for the metal ones.

It was quite all right, actually, Raphael story is amazing, the priestess is a real character and Debbie is just a lovely lady, I quite enjoyed it, even if they are skipping lots of the way and dedicated the first half an hour to 3 km of walk up Orisson. Looking forward to watching next part!

We stayed at Orisson in 2012 and the bunks in our dorm were very solid and made of wood. Perhaps they were in different dormitories or maybe those wooden bunks have been changed for the metal ones.

I think they were metal last year... I slept opposite that little toilet twice now :)

Watching episode 1 has me wondering if I could cope with the summer heat. The mountains looked magnificent. I've done Burgos to Santiago and the Camino Primativo but not the earlier part of the Camino Frances. Being a teacher it would be easiest to do it midsummer, a time I've avoided previously.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thankfully I don't think it is the celebrity games show we all feared.

Last edited:
I was expecting worse to be honest. Although I'm now hoping there's someone on hand with a donkey/moped/chairlift to get me from somewhere along theOrisson to Roncesvalles stage.. I'm dreading crippling myself halfway and ruining my Camino

I'm pretty sure they didn't all walk over from SJPdP to Roncesvalles (at least, that's what one of the crew told me when I encountered them on their day 2) but it was worth watching the programme just to look at the scenery - and some of the "celebs" have interesting backstories. I think Ed Byrne is the one to watch.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If anyone knows a way of downloading and seeing this (legally) in Australia, let us know!

If anyone knows a way of downloading and seeing this (legally) in Australia, let us know!
Using one of the vpn services to make the BBC think you are in the UK may let you watch on the BBC iplayer. This is how I used to watch the British Bake Off shows.

Otherwise you may have to wait until it turns up eventually on the Abc or sbs.

Sorry, Kanga, I can’t help you. However, the show seemingly comes under the Religious Broadcasting budget, so you might influence your national tv station to buy it! I could be wrong about the budget, doesn’t matter. I echo what other posters say about the scenery, and to give the word proper context, it really is an awesome sight, as all who walk from St Jean know from experience.

I was expecting worse to be honest. Although I'm now hoping there's someone on hand with a donkey/moped/chairlift to get me from somewhere along theOrisson to Roncesvalles stage.. I'm dreading crippling myself halfway and ruining my Camino
Hey, andywild, that doesn't sound like the you on your blog! You have a very funny turn of phrase, keep it going, and buen camino when your time comes. I look forward to your account of it.

Thanks kirkie. I think it was a moment of weakness brought on by watching an hour long program featuring Debbie McGee.. she does many things to me and none of them are pleasant. Luckily I've corrected the imbalance by watching a John Travolta film and am now brimming with positivity.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Better than expected. Morrissey (Bob the Builder) isn't as gormless as usual. Ed Byrne (standup comedian) is good value (who wouldn't want a lapsed Catholic on a pilrimage?) as is Raphael, Debbie is sweet. I find Kate (the vicar) irksome.
Heather and JJ haven't come out of their shells yet.

High quality camera work (as you'd expect) but I kept thinking "Did I really walk over those Pyrenees - twice?"

Shame they skipped Pamplona.

From the review in the Guardian newspaper today:

They have only 15 days to cover nearly 800 kilometres,” says narrator Lee Ingleby. “So they’ll walk some of the route in sections.” Er, hang on, I think he means they’re cheating, doesn’t he? Well then, never mind Santiago de Compostela, they’re all going to hell.

I enjoyed it. I found myself being a bit snarky at points, but that's my fault; they're as entitled to their own Camino as anyone else. The thing I'm most looking forward to is comparing the amount of gear they walk into Santiago with, vs. what they left SJPP with. Lots of stuff! The most seasoned walked (Ed Byrne) had the most realistic backpack, IMO.

€149,-
Oh it's cheating alright. Haven't had the chance to try it outside of the UK and the trouble is I've already signed up here so wouldn't know if/when they change the rules.

I've no doubt somebody will rip it and post on YouTube!

Thanks kirkie. I think it was a moment of weakness brought on by watching an hour long program featuring Debbie McGee.. she does many things to me and none of them are pleasant. Luckily I've corrected the imbalance by watching a John Travolta film and am now brimming with positivity.
trouble is, I know there are three women and some men. Their names don't impact on me, so I will have to wait till next Friday to see which one is Debbie!

It is certainly better than I thought it would be. Thought provoking at times about human society and is many aspects. Not something to expect from some of this group.

I have found a way to watch this programme without a VPN or having to have a UK TV licence.
Each week an episode will be uploaded.
The link I have got is not dodgy, as in that you can possibly get a virus, but it is against the copyright laws. So If any member who is out side the UK wants to have the link. You can PM me and I will forward you this. All at your own risk of course.;)

For the above reasons I am not going to post a link on this forum. However, if a mod does not like the idea of me giving the link via a PM I will also stop that too.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Just watched this and was so disappointed. Was this about the Camino or about them. I know it is spiritualist thing and those who walk it are there for their own reasons but it seemed to me almost the whole proramme was about the "celebs"! Hope the next 2 episodes are better.

I watched it too, I thought 15 days was a big ask, but then they got the bus. :)

I liked the scenery, and the memories but have no interest in celebs so the rest was boring for me. Except for the Anglican vicar who annoyed me immensely. :(

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I streamed it online Friday night using this website: www.tvcatchup.com

Completely legal and free. You don’t even have to create an account or give them your e-mail.

The next episode is on Friday, 23 March 9.00 p.m. UK time.

I streamed it online Friday night using this website: www.tvcatchup.com

Completely legal and free. You don’t even have to create an account or give them your e-mail.

The next episode is on Friday, 23 March 9.00 p.m. UK time.

Yeahhhh. Pretty sure that isn't legal, I see no sign of them having any kind of license from the BBC. And while maybe, just maybe as their so far failed legal argument goes it's legal for people within the UK, see section 73 of the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 it certainly isn't for those accessing from abroad.

Not judging, but I don't think we should mislead people.

To tell the truth I expected the very worst but it was ok...Slightly irritating of course for various reasons (they didn't realise they had to walk??? hello??The priest lady saying it had nothing to do with religion???? Etc)
But all in all it wasn't bad! Let's say it could have been worse! I think it is hard to do a film about pilgrimage when one should be walking it instead of watching ;) I will definitely watch the next episode. :)

€46,-
To tell the truth I expected the very worst but it was ok...Slightly irritating of course for various reasons (they didn't realise they had to walk??? hello??The priest lady saying it had nothing to do with religion???? Etc)
But all in all it wasn't bad! Let's say it could have been worse! I think it is hard to do a film about pilgrimage when one should be walking it instead of watching ;) I will definitely watch the next episode. :)

The lady vicar was a bit peculiar but maybe this says more about me than about her....
The lifestory from Rafael Rowe was very gripping and I look forward hearing more from that man who got wounded when serving in the British army.
And Debbie McGee's mourning struck a chord.
Overall : all these " celebs" have the same stories as the " average " pilgrim we meet on a Camino....

Last edited:
I'm generally quite tolerant in my viewing, and felt it was a good watch and worth watching the other two parts of the series. The priest has an element of marmite about her, as I didn't find her particularly personable, but I empathise with some of her struggles, and I expect I certainly will in September when I tackle that first stage over the Pyrenees.

Nice cinematography and some good scenic shots, making me keen to go myself.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I left Pamplona late for my rendezvous in Puente la Reina so I had to miss Eunate. Seeing it on the programme has made me determined to walk that section again (probably tag it on at the end of the Baztan) just to visit Eunate

I left Pamplona late for my rendezvous in Puente la Reina so I had to miss Eunate. Seeing it on the programme has made me determined to walk that section again (probably tag it on at the end of the Baztan) just to visit Eunate

oh what a good idea!

This is not correct. Perhaps you didn’t read their FAQ:

6. Do I need a TV Licence to use TVCatchup?
Yes, you do need a [UK] TV licence when viewing TVCatchup, as we stream live content in realtime (as it's broadcast) a licence is required.​

I loathe geoblocking and similar restrictions as much as the next guy and often don’t understand why I can’t get transfrontier digital content even when I’d be willing to pay for it. I would certainly prefer to pay than having to make use of pirated copies (including Youtube), other “workarounds” such as VPN and shady outfits.

Oooops! Thanks for that correction. No, I didn't read the FAQ, I just logged onto the web page with my iPad, clicked BBC 2, caught the tail-end of Gardener's World and watched the program. I didn't mean to do anything naughty; I am not English and I live in Spain, so I always forget the whole TV license thing. I'm surprised they don't have some sort of pop-up window requiring license holders to identify themselves in order to stream the programmes and to block non-license holders. I just went to the site, clicked on Program Guide, checked the starting time and clicked on the BBC 2 icon, and watched. I'll go back and read the FAQ now I know. Thanks again for the heads up.

@Navarricano, just want to add that I was delighted to see that Eunate was included in the first episode and I really liked how it was presented. :)

These scenes also caused me to reflect on how we react to iconography, in particular since aspects of faith are one of the themes of this BBC series. I grew up in an area that is dominated, so to speak, by sweet and graceful Gothic madonnas. I think I became aware of representations like the one in Eunate (in the style of sedes sapientiae) for the first time in the museum attached to the Pamplona cathedral where they have an eye catching display of Mary and Child in various styles. I’m more familiar with it now that I’ve seen it more often and have learnt how to “read” it but I still find it a bit alienating. So I’m not totally surprised about the reaction of one of the protagonists although there are of course also other reasons for her. (Not sure that I’ve expressed myself well).

I was too. The cinematography of the whole episode was really well executed, and I was delighted with the drone shots of the church. They really did do a marvellous job. Full transparency time for you and anyone else on here who watched it: that was me who opened the gate and received the celebs when they visited Santa Maria de Eunate. I am one of the volunteers who take care of the church, as you know from information I have posted about the church in the past. I helped the production company obtain the necessary permissions to film at the church, and they asked me to appear in the documentary giving the group a brief explanation of the church's history. As is common in these types of projects, we were there for almost three hours doing takes, re-takes, interior and exterior shots, etc., and they only used a scant ten seconds or so of the video they shot with me and my explanation, but I was expecting that, and as I am not eager to be a celeb myself, not at all disappointed I didn't get more screen time! ;)

I have been following the thread about the programme on the Forum, but I didn't feel it would be right for me to comment or to give my opinions about things as I participated in the project and worked personally with the production team and met the people appearing in the show. I will say this: everyone, absolutely everyone involved in the production, both the production team and the celebs who appear, was extremely kind, friendly and professional. When they visited the church, they were extraordinarily respectful of Eunate as a Catholic church and mindful of how important the church is to the parish and the volunteers that care for her. Far more so, in fact, than some "pilgrims" we have had come to visit in the past. I have nothing but positive things to report about the experience, and really pleased with how beautifully they presented the church.

Last edited:
I was too. The cinematography of the whole episode was really well executed, and I was delighted with the drone shots of the church. They really did do a marvellous job. Full transparency time for you and anyone else on here who watched it: that was me who opened the gate and received the celebs when they visited Santa Maria de Eunate. I am one of the volunteers who take care of the church, as you know from information I have posted about the church in the past. I helped the production company obtain the necessary permissions to film at the church, and they asked me to appear in the documentary giving the group a brief explanation of the church's history. As is common in these types of projects, we were there for almost three hours doing takes, re-takes, interior and exterior shots, etc., and they only used a scant ten seconds or so of the video they shot with me and my explanation, but I was expecting that, and as I am not eager to be a celeb myself, not at all disappointed I didn't get more screen time! ;)

I have been following the thread about the programme on the Forum, but I didn't feel it would be right for me to comment or to give my opinions about things as I participated in the project and worked personally with the production team and met the people appearing in the show. I will say this: everyone, absolutely everyone involved in the production, both the production team and the celebs who appear, was extremely kind, friendly and professional. When they visited the church. they were extraordinarily respectful of Eunate as a Catholic church and mindful of how important the church is to the parish and the volunteers that care for her. Far more so, in fact, than some "pilgrims" we have had come to visit in the past. I have nothing but positive things to report about the experience, and really pleased with how beautifully they presented the church.

Fantastic. You came across very well!

Fleur, I was too lazy. After returning to Pamplona, we drove out and I saw how stupid I had been. In fact it does not really add anything to the day’s kilometres, and it is so worth it.

I have been following the thread about the programme on the Forum, but I didn't feel it would be right for me to comment or to give my opinions about things as I participated in the project and worked personally with the production team and met the people appearing in the show. I will say this: everyone, absolutely everyone involved in the production, both the production team and the celebs who appear, was extremely kind, friendly and professional. When they visited the church, they were extraordinarily respectful of Eunate as a Catholic church and mindful of how important the church is to the parish and the volunteers that care for her. Far more so, in fact, than some "pilgrims" we have had come to visit in the past. I have nothing but positive things to report about the experience, and really pleased with how beautifully they presented the church.
When I went, the tour was given by a lady who worked in the office beside the church. She refused to let a couple enter the church barefoot. I am not clear why. I presumed it was health and safety, but my Pamplona friend just laughs at that guess! It was so good to see Eunate have its place in the story. A beautiful church, a place to capture centuries of dreams and longings, and of peaceful moments to be remembered along the way.

When I went, the tour was given by a lady who worked in the office beside the church. She refused to let a couple enter the church barefoot. I am not clear why. I presumed it was health and safety, but my Pamplona friend just laughs at that guess! It was so good to see Eunate have its place in the story. A beautiful church, a place to capture centuries of dreams and longings, and of peaceful moments to be remembered along the way.

There are a few reasons. When I started helping look after the church, the ladies responsible for cleaning the interior of the church made it very clear that anyone wanting to enter the church had to have their shoes on. The reason they gave me is that in the past, the floor of the church sometimes became very dirty with oily footprints from the ointments and creams pilgrims use to ease their suffering feet, as well as, from time to time, blood from bursting blisters and wounds. It's difficult for them to scrub the footprints off the stone floor and it's unsightly.

But the other reason is the esoteric rituals some people want to perform in the church. Practically no one was interested in taking off their shoes and entering the church barefoot until someone spread the idea on the Camino that there is supposedly a ritual to be performed at Eunate, involving walking around the church three times barefoot and then entering the church and standing under the dome to connect with some sort of cosmic energy. The parish priest and the parishioners do not want esoteric rituals to be performed inside the church, and we politely ask people not to do it, out of respect for the faith of the local people.

With regard to the ritual: the volunteers from the parish, most of whom are older, and who have lived there all their lives, say that they had never in their lives heard of this ritual until the past few decades when pilgrims started asking them about it. These are people who have made romerías (short pilgrimages to local shrines or churches) to Eunate all their lives. Their grandparents and parents never taught them this ritual, and when pilgrims first began appearing on the Camino in significant numbers again in the late 80s and the 90s, nobody did it or asked about it. Nobody said a word about it to me the first two or three times I made pilgrimages to Santiago either, but somewhere along the way, somebody started it; it probably got published in some pilgrim's guidebook and then just spread from there.

I have researched and asked numerous local residents from the surrounding villages about it, and the majority all say the same thing. Ni idea de donde vino todo eso (I have no idea where that idea came from). I have found one or two people who said that when they were kids they would come to the church with their parents and grandparents and that they would walk around the church three times praying three Our Fathers before entering the church to pray the Salve Regina to Our Lady of Eunate, but nothing about going in barefoot and getting under the dome. It appears, though, that it was something that was neither widely practised nor something most of the people in the area had heard of. Who knows who started it?

Yes, Kate asked me about it during filming, and I explained this same thing to them, but the filmmakers edited it down to just the bit about the Our Father, so that is why you see Kate going around the church praying the Our Father in the documentary. She wanted to do it barefoot, which she did, but she put her shoes back on before entering the church, as I asked her to do. As I said, everyone associated with the documentary was extremely respectful and cooperative when they filmed there.

As I say, the main reason is the care of the floor. If you want to take off your shoes and go round and round the church's atrium, knock yourselves out! ;) But the parish priest and the parishioners ask that people please wear shoes when entering the church and do not want esoteric rituals to be performed inside, and we politely ask people not to do it, out of respect for the Christian faith of the local people. It sometimes generates a problem with some of the more aggressive folks who come to visit, but not usually. Most people are pretty respectful and cooperative.

Last edited:
There are a few reasons. When I started helping look after the church, the ladies responsible for cleaning the interior of the church made it very clear that anyone wanting to enter the church had to have their shoes on. The reason they gave me is that in the past, the floor of the church sometimes became very dirty with oily footprints from the ointments and creams pilgrims use to ease their suffering feet, as well as, from time to time, blood from bursting blisters and wounds. It's difficult for them to scrub the footprints off the stone floor and it's unsightly.

But the other reason is the esoteric rituals some people want to perform in the church. Practically no one was interested in taking off their shoes and entering the church barefoot until someone spread the idea on the Camino that there is supposedly a ritual to be performed at Eunate, involving walking around the church three times barefoot and then entering the church and standing under the dome to connect with some sort of cosmic energy. The parish priest and the parishioners do not want esoteric rituals to be performed inside the church, and we politely ask people not to do it, out of respect for the faith of the local people.

With regard to the ritual: the volunteers from the parish, most of whom are older, and who have lived there all their lives, say that they had never in their lives heard of this ritual until the past few decades when pilgrims started asking them about it. These are people who have made romerías (short pilgrimages to local shrines or churches) to Eunate all their lives. Their grandparents and parents never taught them this ritual, and when pilgrims first began appearing on the Camino in significant numbers again in the late 80s and the 90s, nobody did it or asked about it. Nobody said a word about it to me the first two or three times I made pilgrimages to Santiago either, but somewhere along the way, somebody started it; it probably got published in some pilgrim's guidebook and then just spread from there.

I have researched and asked numerous local residents from the surrounding villages about it, and the majority all say the same thing. Ni idea de donde vino todo eso (I have no idea where that idea came from). I have found one or two people who said that when they were kids they would come to the church with their parents and grandparents and that they would walk around the church three times praying three Our Fathers before entering the church to pray the Salve Regina to Our Lady of Eunate, but nothing about going in barefoot and getting under the dome. It appears, though, that it was something that was neither widely practised nor something most of the people in the area had heard of. Who knows who started it?

Yes, Kate asked me about it during filming, and I explained this same thing to them, but the filmmakers edited it down to just the bit about the Our Father, so that is why you see Kate going around the church praying the Our Father in the documentary. She wanted to do it barefoot, which she did, but she put her shoes back on before entering the church, as I asked her to do. As I said, everyone associated with the documentary was extremely respectful and cooperative when they filmed there.

As I say, the main reason is the care of the floor. If you want to take off your shoes and go round and round the church's atrium, knock yourselves out! ;) But the parish priest and the parishioners ask that people please wear shoes when entering the church and do not want esoteric rituals to be performed inside, and we politely ask people not to do it, out of respect for the Christian faith of the local people. It sometimes generates a problem with some of the more aggressive folks who come to visit, but not usually. Most people are pretty respectful and cooperative.
Navarricano, many thanks for your informed contribution, it is surely a very useful post for future reference. I actually managed to record the programme, so I might just have another look at it, and pay more attention to the scene in Eunate.

Full transparency time for you and anyone else on here who watched it: that was me who opened the gate and received the celebs when they visited Santa Maria de Eunate. I am one of the volunteers who take care of the church, as you know from information I have posted about the church in the past.
I thought so but I didn't want to blow your cover in case you wished to stay incognito ;). Thank you so much for your contributions to this thread, it's a delight to read all this background information from a local (which I guess you are by now), both about the production and about your efforts to get to the bottom of this ritual and about the local congregation.

As to the site you mentioned: please don't misunderstand me, I just wanted to set the record straight, I think it's perfectly ok to watch occasionally in this way as there are no other options and in particular in your case!!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I thought so but I didn't want to blow your cover in case you wished to stay incognito ;). Thank you so much for your contributions to this thread, it's a delight to read all this background information from a local (which I guess you are by now), both about the production and about your efforts to get to the bottom of this ritual and about the local congregation.

As to the site you mentioned: please don't misunderstand me, I just wanted to set the record straight, I think it's perfectly ok to watch occasionally in this way as there are no other options and in particular in your case!!!

Thank you for your kind words. I did not misunderstand your earlier post at all. I don't want to encourage folks to do anything illegal, and I don't want to use their services illegally myself. I hope I can figure out how to watch the rest of the series legally by Friday.

As for being a local, yes, that's how I feel after nearly 20 years here. I debated for a few days about "coming out" as the guy in the documentary. Like I said, I've got no desire to be a "celeb" myself, but I do work as a tour guide on the Camino, in Pamplona, at Eunate and around Navarra, so I can't stay too incognito and expect to earn a living. Thanks again for your kind words.

First episode is posted on US YouTube! Watch it before it gets taken down. Fairly enjoyable show which has (so far) avoided all the doom-and-gloom drama foisted upon it by all those posters who hadn’t watched it. It’s always good to be reminded not to pre-judge anyone.

Last edited:
I watched it avidly, sorry I will miss the other two episodes as I leave for my first Camino tomorrow.

As a Christian minister, I have to say I found Kate’s overenthusiasm to find a biblical quote for every occasion a bit grating.... maybe that’s how she is, or maybe it was in the editing. Trying too hard to convince everyone that priests are normal people. Which we are, of course, but I think it works better when people discover that for themselves rather than being told every five minutes.

A couple of the participants talked about the Church controlling and dominating people’s lives, and I think it’s a shame no corrective to that was offered, or at least screened. To control and dominate is a human failing and sadly people and institutions of faith are not immune to that temptation. But it is not intrinsic to the Church to dominate, in fact it is antithetical to its identity, IMO

Barbara do you have a UK T.V license? If so put BBC iPlayer T.V.app on your phone or tablet then you can watch the next two episodes while you're away. If it's like iPlayer for radio you won't be able to download them and save for later viewing but I am pretty sure you'll be able to locate the episodes and watch them albeit via a tiny screen and earphones!

Buen Camino

I watched it avidly, sorry I will miss the other two episodes as I leave for my first Camino tomorrow.

As a Christian minister, I have to say I found Kate’s overenthusiasm to find a biblical quote for every occasion a bit grating.... maybe that’s how she is, or maybe it was in the editing. Trying too hard to convince everyone that priests are normal people. Which we are, of course, but I think it works better when people discover that for themselves rather than being told every five minutes.

A couple of the participants talked about the Church controlling and dominating people’s lives, and I think it’s a shame no corrective to that was offered, or at least screened. To control and dominate is a human failing and sadly people and institutions of faith are not immune to that temptation. But it is not intrinsic to the Church to dominate, in fact it is antithetical to its identity, IMO
Barbara, do you have any friends who can record it for you? I can manage tech stuff that interests me, and even though tv doesn’t, I did hit the red button at the right moment and i will be able to see it again if I want to. You said husband is at home, i think.. twist his arm... and if it doesn’t work: you are going to be your very own celeb on your own pilgrimage. I hope you have a wonderful one.

I wish I could watch that series from my country. :(
I do hope that sooner or later there will be a DVD or an international streaming available...

Oh, I’ve set it to record, so it will be waiting for me when I get home, I just meant it would have been nice to see them before I go.

I *could* watch vía iPlayer while I’m there..... but I’ll actually be there, which is surely better. Besides, I might get jealous watching all that lovely sunshine they got. My first day of walking SJPdP to Valcarlos is forecast to be cold but dry. My second, however - rain, rain, rain all the way.

Oh, I’ve set it to record, so it will be waiting for me when I get home, I just meant it would have been nice to see them before I go.

I *could* watch vía iPlayer while I’m there..... but I’ll actually be there, which is surely better. Besides, I might get jealous watching all that lovely sunshine they got. My first day of walking SJPdP to Valcarlos is forecast to be cold but dry. My second, however - rain, rain, rain all the way.
Barbara just think of that second day of rain as character building! For us the walk to Orisson was in perfect weather, clear and sunny (June) next day we continued to Roncesvalles in a howling gail, freezing cold and could hardly stay upright. I think we almost experienced all four seasons in one week .

're the Celebs viewing, you might find that you have an afternoon when you're weary and need to relax with film. If you find yourself in accommodation with good WiFi then why not rest and relax a little.

€149,-
I have nothing but positive things to report about the experience, and really pleased with how beautifully they presented the church.
Glad to hear that, CJ. And I'm glad to meet the 'new you!' Thank you for your service and for everything you do to keep this special place open for all of us.
I’ll actually be there, which is surely better.
Yes...Yes, indeed.
Buen camino, Barbara!

On YouTube now :)
Thanks for posting this. I watched it last week, but have also watched this episode again, in a few stages. I really value the opportunity to be opened to the story someone else has to tell. This episode has shown me glimpses of the pain in the lives of the celebs. Celebs? What is a celeb? I am not used to watching tv, and I probably couldn’t tell you the name of many actresses or actors, but I can tell you when I recognise a moment of human being. I look forward to watching more, and the second episode is on tv tonight. Thanks, thanks, thanks, as an old friend used to say every day, for the smallest thing.

Woah. I've watched this scene three times now. It's part of episode 2 that was broadcast today. I saw and heard something completely different. Do I get it wrong, did the freelance Times religion correspondent get it wrong or what happened here .... :cool:
I am sorry now I didn’t think to press record. However, I can miss bits of dialogue so will need to wait for the next YouTube posting. What did you get from that part, Kathar1na?

€149,-
I thought that scene was just a polite conversation between three people who were somewhat curious about each other and their view on religion. They were trying different approaches, riffing on definition, origin, shape and form for a bit, but nothing disrespectful in my book. I was only disappointed because they weren't really getting anywhere. I do like that Raphael Rowe however: he seems to be genuinely interested in views not his own and isn't afraid to question himself and his convictions.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back