• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

BBC Program "Celebs" on the Camino

What did you get from that part, Kathar1na?
Based on the description posted before the broadcast, I expected to see a scene of hostility and attack on the monk/religion/Christian faith. What I saw, was a polite conversation between the monk, who had been invited to the talk, and two persons, one of whom describes himself as a humanist and the other one who says that "none of my family are religious, none of my extended family are religious so there was no - and I say this in the kindest way - brainwashing". He then goes on to say how much we are a product of our environment, the family we grew up in, the schools where we were educated etc. The monk largely agrees about these external influences shaping us but points out that he views it as God's mysterious work in his own life.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Based on the description posted before the broadcast, I expected to see a scene of hostility and attack on the monk/religion/Christian faith. What I saw, was a polite conversation between the monk, who had been invited to the talk, and two persons, one of whom describes himself as a humanist and the other one who says that "none of my family are religious, none of my extended family are religious so there was no - and I say this in the kindest way - brainwashing". He then goes on to say how much we are a product of our environment, the family we grew up in, the schools where we were educated etc. The monk largely agrees about these external influences shaping us but points out that he views it as God's mysterious work in his own life.

I've been always intrigued by the monks and the monastery at Rabanal. The monastery was founded in 2001. They belong to the Benedictine Congregation of Saint Ottilien, with seat in Germany, and they are missionary monks. Rabanal is their only monastery in Spain and they have no others in Europe, apart from those in Germany, Austria and Switzerland. They are mainly active in Africa and Asia and also Latin America. Quite intriguing because one tends to imagine that everything of this kind is centuries old along the Camino de Santiago. :)
Thanks, Kathar1na, I now see where the brainwashing word came into it. Context explains, I suppose that is part of the success of narrative painting...

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I thought that scene was just a polite conversation between three people who were somewhat curious about each other and their view on religion. They were trying different approaches, riffing on definition, origin, shape and form for a bit, but nothing disrespectful in my book. I was only disappointed because they weren't really getting anywhere. I do like that Raphael Rowe however: he seems to be genuinely interested in views not his own and isn't afraid to question himself and his convictions.
I am nodding my head in agreement as I read, Purky. We might not get to see if they do really get anywhere. No matter the motive for the programme, the reality is clearly having a powerful effect on the characters, as one of them has been quoted twice saying, we are becoming pilgrims. I am reminded of what I learned to be a North American Indian saying: don’t judge me till you have walked two weeks in my mocassins.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A Good Wander posted a link to YouTube above. I trust it is legal...

Afraid not, but there are greater crimes. If it makes you feel better, just pretend you've come round to my house to watch it. I consume precious little TV on the BBC these days so I should have a little license fee to share around.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Afraid not, but there are greater crimes. If it makes you feel better, just pretend you've come round to my house to watch it. I consume precious little TV on the BBC these days so I should have a little license fee to share around.
Is that true, Dorpie? Youtube videos are not legal? Or ‘ripped’ from tv shows are not legal? If so, I might have to forego watching the YouTube shows.. In an earlier post someone referred to why people watch tv at the end of the day. I once participated in a community education project where those in the group explored the Soaps on uk tv. Among the reasons given for watching: “When I get home from work, I sit down in front of the box and say: it’s YOUR turn now!” Thanks for the invitation!

I am nodding my head in agreement as I read, Purky. We might not get to see if they do really get anywhere. No matter the motive for the programme, the reality is clearly having a powerful effect on the characters, as one of them has been quoted twice saying, we are becoming pilgrims. I am reminded of what I learned to be a North American Indian saying: don’t judge me till you have walked two weeks in my mocassins.

I recognise that the participants are all very serious about walking this thing called camino, but as far as I'm concerned the key ingredients to a pilgrimage are time and distance. For a full immersion in the world of the pilgrim you need to take the time to get rid of a lot of stuff you put in your pack earlier, and I mean that both practical and metaphorical. And you have to put some distance in. It can't really be a short-term undertaking, because it'll be a lot of little bits of touch and go, and that is exactly what I see happening on screen as I watch the BBC2 show.

I see a lot of self-affirming stuff going on, and still preciously little of what I think is the true might of the camino shine through: that it isn't about you. There was a glimpse of it at the end of part two, when Byrne remarked (with some surprise in his voice) that he felt so happy about Small enjoying herself.

I'm now grinning about myself while typing. I take this stuff way too serious, and I'm forgetting that it isn't about me. But at the same time I am very serious: I so wish that everyone on this planet could experience the things there are to learn and be a part of on a really long walk. Inluding the cast of this show. I'm rooting for them.

Last edited:
Is that true, Dorpie? Youtube videos are not legal? Or ‘ripped’ from tv shows are not legal? If so, I might have to forego watching the YouTube shows.. In an earlier post someone referred to why people watch tv at the end of the day. I once participated in a community education project where those in the group explored the Soaps on uk tv. Among the reasons given for watching: “When I get home from work, I sit down in front of the box and say: it’s YOUR turn now!” Thanks for the invitation!

Hey Kirkie,

It's the ripped from TV part that's the issue. The video above was posted by someone called GSD MOM, not the BBC. Incidentally the BBC does have their own official Youtube channel but having just taken a look at the offerings they have there the word dross springs very readily to mind.

A big part of BBC revenues (nearly a quarter) these days come from their commercial arm called BBC Worldwide which sells programs and concepts to overseas broacasters. It also wouldn't be acceptable to be giving programs to a worldwide audience effectively for free when households in the UK are paying £147 a year each to produce the content.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I see a lot of self-affirming stuff going on, and still preciously little of what I think is the true might of the camino shines through: that it isn't about you. There was a glimpse of it at the end of part two, when Byrne remarked (with some surprise in his voice) that he felt so happy about Small enjoying herself.

I'm now grinning about myself while typing. I take this stuff way too serious, and I'm forgetting that it isn't about me. But at the same time I am very serious: I so wish that everyone on this planet could experience the things there are to learn and be a part of on a really long walk. Including the cast of this show. I'm rooting for them.
Me too. I can't watch the series, but still think this is a great post, @Purky .
Especially the part of your quote I highlighted in bold. It's a lesson of the Camino that not everybody gets, but plenty do...and I SO wish a few million (billion?) more of us could understand this.

[Sorry. Rant over. I take things too seriously too, a lot of the time. (Except on the NOT serious thread...which is a wonderful playpen for learning how not to do that, and just being generally silly...)]

I did not manage to see more than 5 minutes of both broadcasts. Yesterday I decided to give it another try but the concept of the broadcast irritated me. In general I don't like the idea of using"celebrities" in this way. ( Being Dutch I don't know anyone of them) As I did not walk the CF and don't intend to it also was not a joy of recognition

I've seen 2 of the programs so far and I'm loving it - I'm not that bothered about what they skip or how much they carry.... Its given me loads of opportunities to chat with family, friends and gym buddies about how brilliant walking the camino for yourself is and I call that a big fat WIN and I know the 7 people will be impacted by the bit of the way they walked and the people they walked with which makes me very happy for them :)

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Glad to hear that, CJ. And I'm glad to meet the 'new you!' Thank you for your service and for everything you do to keep this special place open for all of us.

Yes...Yes, indeed.
Buen camino, Barbara!
Nice to meet you, too! As I have basically been “outed” by the programme, I asked Ivar to go ahead and change my name, and I put up my photo. I’m Curtis, obviously. Nice to meet you all.

Kathar1na asked. "I just want to know the origin of this custom as I googled and searched the forum without results: the crosses made of small sticks or twigs and attached to metal fences along the way." Call me cynical, but I think it's like leaving pebbles on the marker posts. One person does it for their own personal reason, and for (almost) everybody else it's "Me, too." The crosses will stay up for a long time, but the pebbles cannot last forever. When there is no room for another one, someone will swipe all the pebbles off the post in order to leave their own "offering".

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I watched the second episode of "Pilgrimage" tonight. There is a scene about 40 minutes in where the group are sitting in a street talking. In the background there is a fountain. I recognised that as being the fountain of San Vicente Ferrer in Praza do Campo, Lugo. What were they doing in Lugo on the CF?

I've watched 2 episodes online so far.

It's quite entertaining, but my overall impression is that it's really an observation of the Camino not really a participation.

But given the aims of the programme highlighted above that is probably quite OK.

If you met actual 'Pilgrims' like some of the Celebs, you'd probably give them a wide berth though! ;)

Just stopping to rest a bit.............see you later :p:p

The bit at the wine fountain annoyed me. Filling up their water bottles with wine! :mad:

First episode is posted on US YouTube! Watch it before it gets taken down. Fairly enjoyable show which has (so far) avoided all the doom-and-gloom drama foisted upon it by all those posters who hadn’t watched it. It’s always good to be reminded not to pre-judge anyone.
Watched it and enjoyed. Was not happy when they took the bus. If you see me on the Comino mumbling constant complaints like the priest... someone please slap (not literal) some sense into me. Camino is a choice with Pain and pleasure we are human

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Watched it and if you see me on the trail mumbling constant complaints like the priest... someone please slap (not literal) some sense into me Camino is a choice Pain and pleasur we are human

I know it's unkind, but I can't help but feel she is trying to act out the Dawn French character in the Vicar of Dibley :oops::oops:

When I used the "wine fountain" at Irache, it dispensed about 5ml every time the tap was rotated. The wine did not flow continuously for me as it did for the celebs.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
When I used the "wine fountain" at Irache, it dispensed about 5ml every time the tap was rotated. The wine did not flow continuously for me as it did for the celebs.

I think that happens when the tank is empty.........

Can I ask a silly question? Why did she put her mouth under the wine tap...hmmm water bottle seems more sanitary no? I saw someone else do a similar thing placing their lips on the tap...really made me rethink. No a germaphobe but don’t want cooties :p

a lot of people misunderstand celebrity. Celebs exist because we are social animals, but our troupe has expanded beyond our ability to know everyone. And so we create our social cohesion through discussion on social media, in the pub, on the bus, at work, of the people we have in common. Neil Morrissey and people like him are part of our acquaintance because we need them to cement our membership of tribe. Being critical of them is just another way to build community. And I enjoyed the programs.

A big part of BBC revenues (nearly a quarter) these days come from their commercial arm called BBC Worldwide which sells programs and concepts to overseas broacasters. It also wouldn't be acceptable to be giving programs to a worldwide audience effectively for free when households in the UK are paying £147 a year each to produce the content.

The BBC was set up to educate and inform. BBC Worldwide is a newfangled corruption of its purpose. As far as I am concerned my £147 is there to partly pay for anyone that wants to be informed and educated, worldwide.

The BBC was set up to educate and inform. BBC Worldwide is a newfangled corruption of its purpose. As far as I am concerned my £147 is there to partly pay for anyone that wants to be informed and educated, worldwide.

I apologise. I know I shouldn't get into petty discussions on the internet but I'm afraid this is a subject close to my heart. So may I draw your attention to the very first line of the very first clause concerning "objects of the Corporation" in the original BBC Charter of 1927;

3(a) To carry out a broadcasting service within our kingdom of Great Briatin and Ireland (But not including therin The Irish Free State). You can read the whole thing here.

Please note as I've stated previously in this thread I really don't care what anyone does in this regard, just don't do it with the idea that you have legality or right on your side.

Hihi now my curiosity has been sparked. Thanks
I think in essence she says that Dawn French who played the vicar of Dibley is a brilliant actress and the character Dawn French played is a lovely person - and that is a good thing for the public image of the clergy - while she (Kate Bottley) is a real life vicar.

She obviously believes it's her calling to make use of her capabilities to reach out to people who don't know any vicar at all in their daily lives and I think nowadays that's quite a few. It's obvious that she's not to everyone's liking.

Last edited:
I apologise. I know I shouldn't get into petty discussions on the internet but I'm afraid this is a subject close to my heart.

If it is close to your heart I think quite important would be fair. Interesting link, thankyou.

The fine print of the charter is typical elitist establishment blather. I'm still happy to pay my £147 to educate and inform. And I see the corruption of mammon in the greed of BBC Worldwide and the prioritising of copyright over the service of God.

The BBC is a part of our soft power. Closing it down would damage us.

And Ivar will be telling me off, again.
Sorry Ivar.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Really good to have your contribution @CJ Williams and in particular your comments about the barefoot "ritual". We are such sheep! I no longer hesitate to knock stones off cement marker posts if I want to perch my behind on one for a rest.

I actually have a question if someone knowledgeable reads this. And if I may ask, please no discussion about what people leave and should leave, I just want to know the origin of this custom as I googled and searched the forum without results: the crosses made of small sticks or twigs and attached to metal fences along the way. Where does this come from? I tend to think it has perhaps to do with Catholic youth organisations but I really don't know. Anyone?

Back in the early 1980s when I was involved with many women-led anti-nuclear campaigns, there was a massive protest at Greenham Common in England where the US Air Force had stationed its Cruise missiles. Women in their thousands travelled to the base to 'humanise' what they saw as a place of potential death. To do this they brought items to decorate the nine mile perimeter fence of the base that symbolised aspects of the life they saw under threat at that time. This included crosses, such as those on the fence just before Rabanal, as well as children's clothes, teddy bears, flowers, needlework etc., I was there with my young daughter and I will never forget the sight of that fence, mile after mile. I can't explain @Kathar1na where this comes, except to suggest that it is a deeply-ingrained impulse to make contact through symbols and that for human beings involved in a communal activity that crosses international boundaries (in terms of its participants and their varied languages for example, as walking the Camino is ) they feel reassured by symbols left by those who have walked before them and which speak of a basic need both to commemorate and to communicate.

Really good to have your contribution @CJ Williams and in particular your comments about the barefoot "ritual". We are such sheep! I no longer hesitate to knock stones off cement marker posts if I want to perch my behind on one for a rest.
So happy to hear that I am not the only one who does that, ha ha.
Sheep, yes many.
I believe it was two years ago, or abouts that several pilgrims set fire to a wooded spot in Muxia whilst doing that silly bit of burning their clothes and footwear. As though the toxic fumes from burning rubber and synthetics was not damage enough.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Back in the early 1980s when I was involved with many women-led anti-nuclear campaigns, there was a massive protest at Greenham Common in England where the US Air Force had stationed its Cruise missiles. Women in their thousands travelled to the base to 'humanise' what they saw as a place of potential death. To do this they brought items to decorate the nine mile perimeter fence of the base that symbolised aspects of the life they saw under threat at that time. This included crosses, such as those on the fence just before Rabanal, as well as children's clothes, teddy bears, flowers, needlework etc., I was there with my young daughter and I will never forget the sight of that fence, mile after mile. I can't explain @Kathar1na where this comes, except to suggest that it is a deeply-ingrained impulse to make contact through symbols and that for human beings involved in a communal activity that crosses international boundaries (in terms of its participants and their varied languages for example, as walking the Camino is ) they feel reassured by symbols left by those who have walked before them and which speak of a basic need both to commemorate and to communicate.
The first time I walked the Camino I was so moved by all those crosses,thinking of all the people who were being remembered,that by the time I got near the top of the hill I was in tears,I made a cross in memory of my own parents and knelt by it for ages in silent prayer.For me this was one of my "Camino Moments".

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have just found out the on BBC2 (UK) later this year there is going to be a bunch of celebrities spending 15 days on the CF. If its anything like some of the celebrity things they've done in the past it will be very tacky, I really hop that this will not be the case and that they respect the Camino.
I guess time will tell.

McDonaldization of Camino :(

The more noise of the world people bring to Camino the more antCamino it can get, the direction is completly the opossite - bring silence to everyday life from Your Camino, not noise from the world to the special space when you have a chance to listen (maybe for the first time) what t r u l l y is :)

No comments on episode 3 which was aired on Good Friday ... I watched it just now and quite liked it. Meanwhile, another group of celebrities walked a part of the camino a week ago or so. Like many Spanish people and other Europeans, they do sections at a time, not the long haul from SJPP to Santiago:

M.jpg
P.jpg
Source: ABC, EFE and others

Last edited:
I finally got to watch episodes 2 & 3 which friends had recorded for me. I enjoyed all three episodes. I think the series was well done.

Or maybe more walking, more soul searching but less talking about the soul searching! As often happens on Camino, the best moments I though were when were enjoying each other's company in an uncomplicated, unselfconscious, way.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
In episode 3, I loved the way Guy Hayward from the British Pilgrimage Trust sang the Dum pater familias (at about 14:00 into the video). It was the first time that I could "hear" pilgrims sing it. All the other versions I had heard sounded very liturgical or "medieval re-enactment". He does emphasise that not only monks but also - actually mainly - pilgrims sang it. I tried to find his version on YouTube or elsewhere but no luck. Can anyone help?

Last edited:
I enjoyed this series and found to be be easy and gentle viewing. A bit too much talking in the final episode and perhaps (IMO) too much attention given to the loudest voice! But overall, I was glad to have watched it.

I'm giving a presentation next week to a group of first timers, who'll be walking from Sarria to Santiago in October. Most will have watched the programmes, so it will be interesting to hear their observations and questions. They'll be walking longer daily distances, but I expect/hope they'll do less complaining than some of those folk :)

Last edited:
In episode 3, I loved the way Guy Hayward sang the Dum pater familias (at about 14:00 into the video). It was the first time that I could "hear" pilgrims sing it. All the other versions I had heard sounded very liturgical or "medieval re-enactment". He does emphasise that not only monks but also - actually mainly - pilgrims sang it. I tried to find his version on YouTube or elsewhere but no luck. Can anyone help?

It also caused me to look again into the British Pilgrimage Trust which he founded with Will Parsons. I've been in two minds about it but I start to like some of their ideas. I wish them luck in any case with their endeavour.

BTW, I managed to download episode 1 and 3 into the BBC iPlayer thing but episode 2 always stops at 99% of the download. Is this a common problem?
Kathar1na, perhaps if you contact The British Pilgrimage trust you might find a contact for him, to ask if he has a digital version you could buy. Meantime, I attach a photo of the one i love to use.. I can’t see a way to share my copy, but you can probably find it on YouTube.F59C9E91-7CC9-44E4-AE0C-6C785C5F2A7F.png

€83,-
I did give some links (viaPM) to a website which streamed the videos. That now has gone too.
Anyhow, here are some updated YT links to three that are working at present.

EP 1

EP 2

EP 3

Enjoy the moaning :eek:

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Words fail me. Thanks for the warning!
Why?
A lot of people were inspired by the first series and I for one enjoyed it
Surely it would be better to watch it before we pass judgement.

So many forum members had "a holier than thou" attitude before...and after... the last series regarding what a "pilgrim" should or shouldn't be

Not ashamed to say I'll be watching this series too....especially after walking the Via a few years ago myself
Best wishes
Annette

The BBC has commissioned a second series. A different group of 8 celebrities. This time on the Via Francigena between the Alps and Rome. The list of participants is in this article. No details of when the series is to be broadcast.

http://realscreen.com/2018/10/18/bb...AaaLCdey2JYEr_iZ0-NirlMrtUfvu_Qht4xS9bY3gWMDY

Only ever heard of one of them. Dana.
But then I haven't lived in the UK for 25 years...........
I'm sure it will make interesting viewing as the first series did. :rolleyes:

Although the press reports of the 'celebs' antics were far more interesting that the programs.
What? I have to sleep here? type of stuff..............

A selection of Camino Jewellery
So many forum members had "a holier than thou" attitude before...and after... the last series regarding what a "pilgrim" should or shouldn't be

Too true. This forum has more of these types of people than any I frequent!

The BBC show was not that bad at all. Someone mentioned the disruption that the film crew can cause. Maybe they should just film using their phones!

A general note. When I don't like a tv show I use the remote control and change channels.
Problem solved.
A bit like when on a crowded Camino...one can change it for a less travelled Camino.
i also have a TV with an off button we are definitely in the minority. If you listen to or read about the "outrage" whenever a contentious programme is shown on the TV.

Why?
A lot of people were inspired by the first series and I for one enjoyed it
Surely it would be better to watch it before we pass judgement.

Not ashamed to say I'll be watching this series too....especially after walking the Via a few years ago myself
Best wishes
Annette
Don't get me wrong, the thought of a programme showing part of the VF would be interesting and I find Amos quite funny at times but why not pick 8 ordinary pilgrims and follow their struggles? Like the Spanish version a couple of years ago - "real" people walking a camino for a purpose and not because they want to resurrect their careers/stand in the spotlight?
The casting strikes me as a bit like "a Muslim, a Jew and a Roman Catholic walked into a bar in Italy and . . . "
Now if it were Dana International . . .

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Too true. This forum has more of these types of people than any I frequent!

That makes me really sad to hear you say that.
I have always found the forum to be well balanced, well meaning, and very supportive.
OK, there are one or two DxxK heads, but every family has those..........

Don't get me wrong, the thought of a programme showing part of the VF would be interesting and I find Amos quite funny at times but why not pick 8 ordinary pilgrims and follow their struggles? Like the Spanish version a couple of years ago - "real" people walking a camino for a purpose and not because they want to resurrect their careers/stand in the spotlight?
The casting strikes me as a bit like "a Muslim, a Jew and a Roman Catholic walked into a bar in Italy and . . . "
Now if it were Dana International . . .

In reality the only way you're going to get an audience large enough to even begin to justify the production costs of a program shot abroad (here the Spanish version had an advantage) over an extended period about something most people haven't even heard of is to fill it with celebrities, however minor they may be, such is the modern world.

And also if you've seen any shows in the last few years on British TV featuring "real" people, I'm thinking Big Brother, Love Island etc. you may be glad that they won't be in this. A production company isn't just going to choose eight random people, it would a) be eight people who had sufficient ego to apply to go on the show and b) eight people who the production company has screened and identified as interesting characters.

If you were to just try and find random people already doing the VF and get them to be filmed I think you'd have the problem of changed behaviour and absolutely no guarantee of them being in the least bit interesting. Without eight different film crews following each person about for 12 hours a day the chances of capturing the few interesting minutes in a day would be small, just think about your caminos and how much of each day you'd be interested to see on TV if it weren't you? Having a cast of participants who have at least been in front of a camera before and are prepared to work to a production schedule just makes more sense.

And as a final point, there are a million (I'm perhaps exaggerating) videos out there of real people doing pilgrimages and I'm not sure many of them would be improved by professional production, that's where to go for authenticity.

Like the Spanish version a couple of years ago - "real" people walking a camino for a purpose and not because they want to resurrect their careers/stand in the spotlight?
The casting strikes me as a bit like "a Muslim, a Jew and a Roman Catholic walked into a bar
I remember vaguely from the PR blurb for the last series that the BBC finances it - or purchases it - as a program in their category „Religion and Ethics“ and they probably pick known faces for the same reason that they pick them for this genealogy program for example: it causes initial interest and therefore attracts a larger audience. Frankly, I can’t get worked up about it one way or another. Did the last series about the “Road to Santiago” have a great impact, in a positive or negative way? I have my doubts.

From an Italian news report, it appears that they filmed it already this September 2018. Did anybody on the road notice it?

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Did the last series about the Camino Frances have a great impact, in a positive or negative way? I have my doubts.

It certainly got a very decent audience, about 2 million per episode. For the channel it was aired on (BBC2, one of the 5 big channels in the UK) that easily put it in their top 10 of the week and significantly the last episode had more views than the first indicating that it was a popular format.

Whether it had any impact is of course an entirely different question. There were for better or worse a few articles in the UK press talking about religion in a way that you don't usually see though because of the show.

Thanks, I'm going to try to figure out what it is says with the help of Google Translate and a rudimentary knowledge of a few related languages. ;)

they apparently turned up by van at a small hostel and did a little filming.
I think we know by now that they don't walk all the time all the way, that there's a van and a crew and something like time consuming retakes - @CJ Williams from the Church of Eunate gave us a splendid insight in this thread - and that they pick out locations and people that promise to make interesting viewing for a TV audience. They don't simply take whatever comes their way. For example, I suppose that a monk from the Benedictine Monastery doesn't stroll over to the garden of the albergue in Rabanal every sunny afternoon for a chat about religion with individual non-believers, as he did in the BBC series, or does he? :cool:

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I will look forward to watching it... I may not recognise most of the participants but I enjoy watching human nature v pilgrimage - even if rather staged...! But then I would probably watch a live feed of any pilgrimage route with pilgrims grumbling along about blisters,socks and snoring... Bit like this forum really!! What's not to like?
At any gathering of people the subject can crop up (or is that because I always mention it...!) - and many people have heard of the Camino or a relative has walked it - or they've watched a film or prog - so compared to 20 years ago - when hardly a soul seemed to have heard about it - so I think it must be a good thing..
Perhaps for the next series we could be allowed to nominate 'celebs'...?! Such fun....

Watching episode 1 has me wondering if I could cope with the summer heat. The mountains looked magnificent. I've done Burgos to Santiago and the Camino Primativo but not the earlier part of the Camino Frances. Being a teacher it would be easiest to do it midsummer, a time I've avoided previously.
Update: I completed St Jean to Burgos in the summer of 2018. The heat was pretty fierce but I survived.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back