• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

BBC series on Lough Derg pilgrimage. Oilithreacht

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Time of past OR future Camino
Too many and too often!
For the past three weeks BBC Northern Ireland have been showing 30 minute episodes of a documentary series about the very challenging Lough Derg pilgrimage. A very different interpretation of "pilgrimage" from the Caminos where the focus is largely on the journey and so much is left to the individual's personal choice. In many ways the Lough Derg pilgrimage is much closer to the Hajj in spirit and practice. I have found it interesting to watch and to reflect on the points of difference and similarity and to ponder what it is about an experience that defines it as a pilgrimage. All three episodes are now available on the BBC iPlayer service though the first will expire in 15 days time with the others to do likewise later. Quite a contrast with the BBC celebrity series on the Camino Frances and the Via Francigena!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0003nvv/oilithreacht-series-1-1-oilithreacht

A selection of Camino Jewellery
For an industry that calls itself creative, TV sure loves a formula.
(Alright, I know you're saying this one's different ... I just couldn't help myself).

Then again the TG4 Irish language channel's programmes on the Camino are of a different style to the BBC's camino. I suspect if BBC Northern Ireland commissioned a programme on the camino or Via Francigena it would look rather different too! But it probably explains why Dana is on the BBC's Via Francigena series to gain interest from Ireland as pilgrimage and camino have a significant interest here.
Just a note there is a short 12km pilgrim path on the shore of Lough Derg which I have used many times in preparation of going on Camino, which has nice yellow pilgrim markers. There is also some local interest in re-creating a pilgrim walking route to Lough Derg mainly in response to the growth of the Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Good morning. After having walked, 3 (Frances, VdlP, CP and Fisterra) Camino to Santiago, we thought that this year we should ‘experience’ another Way. So in a few short days we fly off to Italy...
Good news for pilgrims on the VF: https://www.viefrancigene.org/en/historic-pilgrim-hostel-reopens-in-siena-tuscany/
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2024/04/22/italy-tourists-cinque-terre-one-way-hiking-trails/

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.