• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

BBC TV programme on Sultan's Trail (2020?) - Vienna to Istanbul

timr

Time of past OR future Camino
Several and counting...
The Sultan's Trail, from Vienna to Istanbul, is a waymarked trail you can read about here.

I have just heard Edwina Currie, a former MP and 'celebrity' in UK reveal that she has been filming a walk along this trail. This programme evidently follows two previous series on BBC TV, the first on the Camino de Santiago and the second on the Via Francigena.

I can't find any more information about it at present. Expect it next Easter.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The Sultan's Trail, from Vienna to Istanbul, is a waymarked trail you can read about here.

I have just heard Edwina Currie, a former MP and 'celebrity' in UK reveal that she has been filming a walk along this trail. This programme evidently follows two previous series on BBC TV, the first on the Camino de Santiago and the second on the Via Francigena.

It is not well waymarked. Waymarking is still a work in progress. Parts of the trail are on tracks overgrown with nettles. There is a Facebook website for the trail.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
There is a GPX trail but you will need back up batteries because you won't many markers past Hungary. I was using a Smaung to follow the trail but had a lot of problems in the Bulgarian mountains picking up GPS. Accomodation is hotels or stealth camping.

There is a GPX trail but you will need back up batteries because you won't many markers past Hungary. I was using a Smaung to follow the trail but had a lot of problems in the Bulgarian mountains picking up GPS. Accomodation is hotels or stealth camping.
Thanks Brian. For all that, you are making it sound very attractive!! I love the line 'you won't get many markers past Hungary'.:)
When I said 'waymarked' I guess I really meant 'identified' ;).
Waymarking is rather relative. I have several times said that I think of waymarking on the Camino in terms of Goldilocks and the Three Bears. Too much (Frances), Too little (Norte) and Just Right (Primitivo).
Going further afield, waymarking becomes a dim memory - from Rome to Brindisi a bit. From Bari to Thesslaoniki virtually none. And what you describe in the Bulgarian mountains would aptly describe the mountains in Albania and Macedonia.
I have come to the decision to get a handheld GPS for the future, through Turkey, as it is such a problem keeping the phone charged, though I managed it so far with a big backup battery.
Nettles, brambles, angry dogs.....For all that I would go tomorrow!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It is not well waymarked. Waymarking is still a work in progress. Parts of the trail are on tracks overgrown with nettles. There is a Facebook website for the trail.
I absolutely hate stinging nettles! Any trail filled with them is not a "friendly trail" to me...no thanks!...just my opinion.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I watched both of the previous programmes. the seco

I watched both programmes, and found the second one easier to watch, so maybe this next one will be even better. The title speaks of the kind of story book we had in primary school, soft backed with black and white illustrations from time to time, to keep us interested maybe. Occasional treats such as Turkish Delight. Where did we get them from? Nothing is that special any more, with our interconnected infrastructures where pretty well anything from anywhere can be found in Lidl or Aldi! So, when the programme is due to be shown, give us a shout and I will head out to buy some Turkish Delight and some skinny Polish chicken sticks to snack on.

The title speaks of the kind of story book we had in primary school, soft backed with black and white illustrations from time to time, to keep us interested maybe. Occasional treats such as Turkish Delight.
Am I the only one who found the title of the trail a bit odd? I understand from the blurb on the website that it's a magnificent trail with wonderful landscapes and people and that it's dedicated to peace and global friendship and I'm sure that's true.

Still, the trail is inspired and named after Suleiman I, and the main thing he has to do with this trail is the fact that he travelled in the general direction from Istanbul to Vienna, with a huge army, and then back again after he failed the purpose of his journey, namely the conquest of Vienna. That was the first siege of Vienna, followed by the more famous and even more horrible second siege of Vienna 150 years later that has left quite an imprint on the collective memory ...

Last edited:
Am I the only one who found the title of the trail a bit odd? I understand from the blurb on the website that it's a magnificent trail with wonderful landscapes and people and that it's dedicated to peace and global friendship and I'm sure that's true. Still, it's named after Suleiman I and I guess the main thing he had to do with this trail is the fact that he travelled in the general direction from Istanbul to Vienna and then back again with his huge army after he failed the purpose of his journey, namely the conquest of Vienna. That was the first siege of Vienna, followed by the more famous and even more horrible second siege of Vienna 150 years later that has left quite an imprint on the collective memory ...
My memory is rather selective, but I know I read a book in the not too distant past that covered the history period you refer to. All I am left with now is the horror of the need to dominate, acquire, eliminate opposition. As ever was, is now, and ever shall be.
A quote, found in a graveyard in the North East of Scotland (those who know otherwise, feel free to correct me)
"Here lies Martin Elginbrodde.
Hae mercy on my soul, Lord God.
As I wad dae, were I Lord God,
and ye were Martin Elginbrodde."
Someone with a Scots sense of let's make a deal here... to be honest, I am not at all sure why it has rushed up from the depths of my collection of references, but there has to be some connection! Maybe it was the thought that came when I stopped writing 'and ever shall be', and wondered if God, there being God, is not shaking her/his head at our puny little, ugly little selfishnesses.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
In their August 2019 newsletter, the Dutch organisation behind the Sultanstrail project announces that the BBC is looking for walkers who will be on the trail during the second half of October so that sounds like they are filming now? Btw, note the imagery chosen for their newsletter 🤔☺.

Sultan's Trail 1529.jpg

Btw, note the imagery chosen for their newsletter 🤔☺.
Imagery.jpg
I think what you see here are two Janisseries, or is it a soldier from each of the two sides?, then the sultan himself and his chief consort. I can't make out what the black spot is ... smoke from a trail of devastation and destruction? 🤔

Found the original picture. What is the guy (second from left) holding in his hand? Any suggestions, serious or otherwise ...?
Ottoman Empire figures.jpg

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Slow match I think. Used for firing cannon. A slow burning piece of rope that you place on the touch-hole to fire the charge.
Or used for firing ancient firearms like the one he is carrying on his shoulder, apparently, as I now know.

Thanks, I couldn't figure out what it was. And I didn't know the English term "slow match" either but I know now.

Last edited:
Oops. I'll clarify. No markers past Ezstergom and don't use a Samsung phone like I did. Get a good GPS though I read somewhere that the organisers are using a different a different trail app.

Just watched the 3 episodes on ABC TV.

The Sufi sequence in Episode 3 was one of the things I will certainly remember.

Bob M
I loved the series @BobM - the Sufi sequence was so very special and was a highlight of the series.

I’m wondering what and where the next “Road to ...” will be ...

Cheers from Sydney -

Jenny

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I’m wondering what and where the next “Road to ...” will be ...
@JennyH94, with the current situation globally, I think 'when' would have to precede 'what and where'...! 🤔 😁
I'm a bit slow in catching on to the revival of this thread about the same program in my December 4th alert post for Aussies... but I do recollect @timr's original post back in 2019.
Funny how threads resurface... 🤗

Edited to PS:
My vote would be Jerusalem...the destination having religious quarters in the old city just lends itself to the 'Road to...' series format. 🥰
👣 🌏

Last edited:
I absolutely hate stinging nettles! Any trail filled with them is not a "friendly trail" to me...no thanks!...just my opinion.
Don't do St Olav's Way in Norway then @Camino Chrissy...sturdy long pants & calamine lotion necessities for that one...! 😯 😄
Let me guess...an alert saying I quoted your post will have you straining the memory & looking back to see what you wrote when... 🤭 Same thing happened to me yesterday when @Stripey Socks revived a post of mine from Feb 2019...what a hoot! 😊
👣 🌏

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Don't do St Olav's Way in Norway then @Camino Chrissy...sturdy long pants & calamine lotion necessities for that one...! 😯 😄
Let me guess...an alert saying I quoted your post will have you straining the memory & looking back to see what you wrote when... 🤭 Same thing happened to me yesterday when @Stripey Socks revived a post of mine from Feb 2019...what a hoot! 😊
👣 🌏
You are correct! I was curious, but as soon as I read my word "nettles" it came back to me.😅
Thanks for mentioning that Norway has lots of nettles...I'll remove it from my Camino bucket list.😂
I'm just up and sitting with a coffee while taking a look at the forum.☕

You are correct! I was curious, but as soon as I read my word "nettles" it came back to me.😅
Thanks for mentioning that Norway has lots of nettles...I'll remove it from my Camino bucket list.😂
I'm just up and sitting with a coffee while taking a look at the forum.☕
😁
You just got up & I'm just heading to bed...greetings crossing from opposite sides of the planet...amazing! 🤗
👣 🌏

@JennyH94, with the current situation globally, I think 'when' would have to precede 'what and where'...! 🤔 😁
I'm a bit slow in catching on to the revival of this thread about the same program in my December 4th alert post for Aussies... but I do recollect @timr's original post back in 2019.
Funny how threads resurface... 🤗

Edited to PS:
My vote would be Jerusalem...the destination having religious quarters in the old city just lends itself to the 'Road to...' series format. 🥰
👣 🌏
I was thinking Jerusalem too Kaz - that would be fantastic.

Camino hugs -

Jenny

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

An article in the weekend edition of the Irish Times. I hope it can be accessed. If not, just follow the website above. Go n-éirí an bóthar leat, Credit for Gaelic version, @wayfarer...
The official Via Francigena site has published a list of free walks ** happening in 2024. If you happen to be passing through you might want to take part - or avoid that section that day. (**...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.