• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

BBC TV series on Via Francigena

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Time of past OR future Camino
Too many and too often!
Last year the BBC broadcast a series following a group of celebrities on the Camino Frances. A second series has been made with a different group of participants this time on the Via Francigena heading for Rome. The first episode is due to be broadcast here in the UK on April 5th at 9pm on BBC2.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I don’t know a single one of these “celebrities”. Do you?

I quite enjoyed the Francés series last year. I wish they’d put it back on the iPlayer.

I quite enjoyed the Francés series last year. I wish they’d put it back on the iPlayer.
Hi Leibniz, in fact they are reasonably well known in UK ;). I watch very very little TV, and am not interested in 'celebrities', but I do know six of them, which I have to say I find surprising!! :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Leibniz, in fact they are reasonably well known in UK ;). I watch very very little TV, and am not interested in 'celebrities', but I do know six of them, which I have to say I find surprising!! :)
You beat me by 1 - I only recognised 5 of the 8 ;)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm hoping this series will make it seem more acceptable to my better half in letting me go to do the VF in one go in 2022!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm hoping this series will make it seem more acceptable to my better half in letting me go to do the VF in one go in 2022!
I am very lucky in that respect. My wife left me at home for 10 months while she made a very long (and expensive!) overland trip from the UK to Thailand, China, Japan and Korea then back again. I have a fair way to go before we are even on that score. I've made a couple of long walks since then but my upcoming trip to Japan and Australia will probably do it ;)

Last year the BBC broadcast a series following a group of celebrities on the Camino Frances. A second series has been made with a different group of participants this time on the Via Francigena heading for Rome. The first episode is due to be broadcast here in the UK on April 5th at 9pm on BBC2.

Just what television needs..another 'reality' show with 'celebrities'. The CF version didn't make it to Australian TV & this one probably won't either. Hard to gauge from people's opinions whether it was quality programming or not but, is there no subject sacred enough to be left untouched by this genre of television? 😣 Oh..for a decent documentary instead. Thankfully I'll be in rural France by the time it airs in the UK but mostly I'm just so glad they're not on the trail the same time as me. 🙄
👣🌏

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Well I must be living under a rock, then! (A rock located in the UK) 😂

It amuses me that people can be so aghast at something they are under zero obligation to watch. Will it be brilliant? probably not, will I watch it? probably. Why? because if it's successful it might nudge the BBC to produce more television of this sort and once they have the confidence of an audience they can drop the "celebs" and we'll get better programming.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It amuses me that people can be so aghast at something they are under zero obligation to watch. Will it be brilliant? probably not, will I watch it? probably. Why? because if it's successful it might nudge the BBC to produce more television of this sort and once they have the confidence of an audience they can drop the "celebs" and we'll get better programming.
Hi @Dorpie the truth is I probably will watch it because curiosity will overcome me! I watched the last series and my reaction was....meh! There was, unrealistically, far too much talking about religion in it I thought (which I am not really against as such......I am a priest!;)🙂)

I think it is the reality format which I dislike. I too would love to see a documentary. Having said that I am a staunch defender of The Way film. I always think it is what it is - a feature film, needing to recoup its costs......and I don't make any negative connotation with that. I always enjoy it. The second time I walked on CF, Martin Sheen & Co were a few days behind us filming at one point, though I didn't meet them.

As I was walking the VF last year I heard from someone walking about 10 days behind me who bumped into some of the BBC researchers for this forthcoming series. I do feel I would prefer to meet in the programme some real people, whatever their own motivation for walking, than celebrities who are essentially walking on TV because that is how they make a living. I don't object to the latter, but I think the former would be so much more interesting to hear from. But if people enjoy it as it is, fine.

I was just wondering .. will they be running? 2000km in 15 days IS an achievement, even only from the alps... :p

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I really enjoyed the 'celebs on the CF' series last year - 'managed to see it here in Oz via a link.

I hope there's some footage of the fresh gang of celebs up on some of those mountain goat tracks out from Aosta and again near the Cisa Pass - hooley dooley - those paths were challenging! I reckon it'd make great reality TV though the camera crew would definitely not be impressed! ;):eek:

There was, unrealistically, far too much talking about religion in it I thought (which I am not really against as such......I am a priest!;)🙂)
It will be the same with this new series about the Via Francigena as it is part of the BBC's efforts to "shine a light on faith, belief and values in modern Britain". Google for "Year of beliefs" which is their name for their 2019 programming on ethics and religion. I assume the participants of last year and of this year were told to talk about their personal beliefs or non-beliefs and the programme is not primarily meant for those who tune in for Songs of Praise 😉. The pilgrimage walk is background and not main actor in these TV series.

PS: Just read that the "Year of beliefs" broadcasts are aimed particularly at audiences under the age of 45. It's not meant for most of us then. 🤣

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
PS: Just read that the "Year of beliefs" broadcasts are aimed particularly at audiences under the age of 45. It's not meant for most of us then. 🤣
Given that context, it does actually make sense, I guess. If a programme is not aimed at me, I cannot really expect it to be exactly what I am looking for. Oh dear, I feel old........:eek:

Given that context, it does actually make sense, I guess. If a programme is not aimed at me, I cannot really expect it to be exactly what I am looking for. Oh dear, I feel old........:eek:

Me too, but I'll probably still watch it! :)

I watched the CF one. Curiosity. I haven't a notion who the new celebrities are. Anyone looking to be a rebel, and like my friend who is a twin, always tried to look out of the other side of the pram: try to catch some of David Attenborough’s many wonderful natural science videos. Timeless. For instance, the one on the history of Amber. Far older - or is it? - than CBD oil. More proven for sure! All that having been said, when is it showing? I can catch it live if I remember! Happy viewing, seriously. And for all who venture on the VF, chapeau!

Last edited by a moderator:
Despite the rather negative comments made in some of the posts, I look forward to seeing it.

All three episodes available on YouTube. Heres link

I quite enjoyed the Frances series last year. I wish they’d put it back on the iPlayer.
Just read on a Camino Facebook group that BBC2 broadcasts episode 1 Pilgrimage: The Road to Santiago again this afternoon (16 March 2019) at 3 pm UK time. That's 30 minutes from now ... ! Episode 2 next Saturday afternoon, can't see when episode 3 is scheduled.

€60,-
I have to say I rather enjoyed the first one. For me they seemed to become 'normal people' instead of playing on their celebrity status all the time so I'll certainly be watching the next one with interest. A big bonus as well was the fact that it was actually airing on TV at home as I was walking the Camino Francis last March and my wife passed on the details of the lady in Casa Verde who drew a picture in my pilgrims passport in place of a stamp. I would have walked straight past Casa Verde if I hadn't known :)
Another series has just been on BBC 2 by the way with Simon Reeve called 'Pilgrimage'. This one covers various Camino's and tries to get to the reasons people walk them. Can still be watched on catch up, for the next 27 days or so anyway.

Buen Camino to you all :)

Perhaps I will catch it on iPlayer when I return to base. I'm spending time in my other home at present. I too enjoyed the first series more than I anticipated.

I was reminded by another forum member. I forgot. I am still alive. Will it be on next Friday??? I rarely use the tv, that is my excuse. Mostly, it acts as a large screen for something I want to see on my laptop.

Thank you. Well all shows are scripted and the walkers are selected to target a certain section of the viewers it’s a money making business. But you turn of the sound and enjoy the pictures of the landscape? Plus you learn quite a lot of cultural divergences.

Thank you. Well all shows are scripted and the walkers are selected to target a certain section of the viewers it’s a money making business. But you turn of the sound and enjoy the pictures of the landscape? Plus you learn quite a lot of cultural divergences.

I cheerfully turn off the sound aka the often inane babblings and watch the landscape just in case it nudges me to plot how to get the pennies to go there!

:) :) :)

The Malingerer

I am in Nairobi, so cannot watch it at the moment. And so will still have to make a decision about watching it when I get back to UK. 🤔
But hugely more exciting is this....... There is a Decathlon store in Nairobi.
There is none in Ireland where I have lived for the past nine years, although there are plans to build nine.
But a megastore in Nairobi! Who knew??

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 20
OK, I'm just going to say it: If any new or aspiring pilgrims get the urge to run out and buy a pack, make sure it is fitted to or at least fits you! No one seems to have checked that these celebrity pilgrims have suitable packs ... (rant over) I do like to watch these programmes for the views though. Sound off if necessary.

@nidarosa :) Yes indeed! Such enormous rucksacks too for people who are being transported from location to location by minibus and have a film crew to handle the logistics. I carried a far smaller pack and I had a tent and camping gear with me. Makes me wonder what they felt was so essential.

I carried a far smaller pack and I had a tent and camping gear with me.
Was your hair and makeup always perfect, though? ;-)

I missed the first episode, so I'll catch up when I get home ... But I think I can pick up broadcasts from Jersey if I point the antenna in that direction, so I'll tune in for the next installment.

@nidarosa :) Yes indeed! Such enormous rucksacks too for people who are being transported from location to location by minibus and have a film crew to handle the logistics. I carried a far smaller pack and I had a tent and camping gear with me. Makes me wonder what they felt was so essential.

Interestingly they also don’t carry the same rucksack from scene to scene.

Wow - it's even more beautiful that I imagined! Now it's on my list... even my husband wants to go!

Parts of it are spectacular. It is a very varied route with some beautiful mountain sections especially and a host of fascinating ancient towns and villages. But you might want to bear in mind that there was a lot of editing and a lot of skipping sections by minibus in that programme :) They didn't mention the several days of walking across flat rice paddies in the Po valley which teem with mosquitos in summer for instance. I wonder why ;)

€60,-
Parts of it are spectacular. It is a very varied route with some beautiful mountain sections especially and a host of fascinating ancient towns and villages. But you might want to bear in mind that there was a lot of editing and a lot of skipping sections by minibus in that programme :) They didn't mention the several days of walking across flat rice paddies in the Po valley which teem with mosquitos in summer for instance. I wonder why ;)

I guess that's camino for you :D My interest is piqued in Canterbury to Rome.... wouldn't that be an epic journey :D

Certainly the longest and most varied route that I have walked. And a great way to lose weight too. I walked for 66 days and lost 33 pounds between Canterbury and Rome. ;)

Wow! Well done! It must have been an amazing walk!

I’m loving this series even more than the first!

I’m also amused by the continuation mistakes. 😁

Still a few irritating moments for me. Some of the jokey bits seemed very contrived. But on the whole I am finding it a big improvement on last year's series. A more sympathetic group of participants and a little more focus on questions of motivation and the significance of pilgrimage.

Last edited:
For non-walkers/pilgrims it must be very inspiring, seeing the scenery, the places they visit, the camaraderie and bond between them. I have to admit to being tempted myself! One for 2021, when there is a holy year on the ways to Santiago?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Totally agree with you Dorpie,
I just tuned into this post today as I've been busy for the past few weeks and must have missed it

Now, without wanting to start a row....

It still amazes me that there can be so many negative and sarcastic comments made ....and that's even BEFORE the programme has aired!!!!

Still, I shouldn't have been surprised, as the same old same ole comments were made before the CF programme was aired!
So enough said re this from me!

I just watche the 2nd episode ...having watched the 1st one last week....
Loved both of them
I think that despite the different beliefs of the participants, they were very respectful of each other and gelled rather well.
I enjoyed the conversations between them as well as the scenery

Regarding the walking stages of the group....well it's a 3 episode series, so yes, they will get transport at certain times and this is shown in the episodes ....otherwise it would just go on for weeks and weeks!

As for their walking stages.......whilst for many of us 13 km would probably be a walk in the park...some of these guys have never walked a step....which they readily admitted to

This series is just a "taster" for those wishing to walk the whole way.

So much of it made me smile as I remembered the man on the bike who met us outside Tromello and gave us 2 lovely badges for our rucksacks and showed us where to get fizzy water from the communal fountains
Also remembered Orio Litta and the wonderful albergue there
Then today it was the Bagno Vignoni spa town and further on.

I'm looking forward to next weeks episode.........dare I say or admit to this?!

I like the fact that these guys were open to whatever occurred during the journey..
and as some of us know...so many start the Camino as walkers, but finish as pilgrims.

The only reason that I've got "the hump" is that they got to meet Pope Francis.....
and we didn't!!!
Best wishes
Annette

Thank you, @Annette london.

I've just watch the first two episodes on iPlayer and enjoyed it. As I haven't walked the via Francigena, there was no "ooh, I've been there" effect. Nice views of the landscapes, a bit of history here and there but not too much, the participants come across as genuine. It's not a "praise be the pilgrimage" kind of series and it's not a reality show like Big Brother or whatever they are called nowadays. Nor does it want to be either of these.

It tries to raise aspects of faith and religion in our society, without being an experts round table. I found the discussion about who will go to the pilgrim's blessing and why and later how they felt about it interesting. I've often wondered about the frequent pilgrim's blessings offered along the Camino Frances and their role ... but that's not a topic of discussion for this forum.

Will try to catch the last episode this Friday (Good Friday) at 9 pm on BBC2.

Last edited:
I watched the third and last episode yesterday and I thought that it was good TV 😊. One can take quite a few things from it.

I concluded that gear, training and blister care were not a major topic for this series. And it confirmed the impression that I've had for a long time: the Catholic Church doesn't really take a major interest in long distance foot pilgrimages. 😉

I watched the final instalment last night. It had its moments certainly, but overall just too lightweight. The big half empty packs irritated me and just reminded me that there was something very contrived about they way it was all managed. In fact I should give the participants some credit for seeming to find something meaningful despite of all that.
A powerful section was the meeting with the Pope in Rome. He starts to talk about the pilgrimage and life as a journey, but then the editor cuts to something that obviously takes place a little later. If anyone has any contacts in the BBC it'd be great to see a full transcript of that part - anyone?
I'm not someone who warms to organised religion, but I was impressed by the Pope's words and the way he delivered them. Very occasionally in the world we find someone who has got to the top of their organisation for their briliance rather than their manoevering ambition. This just might be one such person. Anyway here's a transcript of what he said when sitting down with the pilgrims:

"First of all, thank you. Thank you for your visit. So, about this pilgrimage…
Life is a journey, whether you walk with or without faith, it is a human pilgrimage that is even greater than the Via Francigena pilgrimage."

At this point the editor moves to a later point where Stephen K Amos explains that he lost his mother and, three months earlier buried his twin sister, who were both very religious. Coming on this pilgrimage he was looking for answers and faith but, as a gay man he doesn’t feel accepted.

The Pope’s response:

"Giving more importance to the adjective rather than the noun, this is not good. We are all human beings and have dignity. It does not matter who you are, or how you live your life, you do not lose your dignity. There are people that prefer to select or discard people, because of the adjective. These people don’t have a human heart. I feel myself among brothers and sisters, and I have not asked any of you what your faith or belief is, because you have a basic faith in humanity. For those of you who are believers, please pray for me. For those of you who do not believe, could you wish me a good journey, so I do not let anyone down.
Thank you."

I watched the final instalment last night. It had its moments certainly, but overall just too lightweight. The big half empty packs irritated me and just reminded me that there was something very contrived about they way it was all managed. In fact I should give the participants some credit for seeming to find something meaningful despite of all that.
A powerful section was the meeting with the Pope in Rome. He starts to talk about the pilgrimage and life as a journey, but then the editor cuts to something that obviously takes place a little later. If anyone has any contacts in the BBC it'd be great to see a full transcript of that part - anyone?
I'm not someone who warms to organised religion, but I was impressed by the Pope's words and the way he delivered them. Very occasionally in the world we find someone who has got to the top of their organisation for their briliance rather than their manoevering ambition. This just might be one such person. Anyway here's a transcript of what he said when sitting down with the pilgrims:

"First of all, thank you. Thank you for your visit. So, about this pilgrimage…
Life is a journey, whether you walk with or without faith, it is a human pilgrimage that is even greater than the Via Francigena pilgrimage."

At this point the editor moves to a later point where Stephen K Amos explains that he lost his mother and, three months earlier buried his twin sister, who were both very religious. Coming on this pilgrimage he was looking for answers and faith but, as a gay man he doesn’t feel accepted.

The Pope’s response:

"Giving more importance to the adjective rather than the noun, this is not good. We are all human beings and have dignity. It does not matter who you are, or how you live your life, you do not lose your dignity. There are people that prefer to select or discard people, because of the adjective. These people don’t have a human heart. I feel myself among brothers and sisters, and I have not asked any of you what your faith or belief is, because you have a basic faith in humanity. For those of you who are believers, please pray for me. For those of you who do not believe, could you wish me a good journey, so I do not let anyone down.
Thank you."
Thanks for such a helpful extract. I hope our tv behaved itself and recorded the programme as otherwise i won’t see it.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks for such a helpful extract. I hope our tv behaved itself and recorded the programme as otherwise i won’t see it.

If your tech has failed to perform then the whole series is now available through the BBC website. Though I found some of the "humorous" parts of the series and a couple of the participants quite annoying I did think that overall this was a big improvement on the earlier series filmed on the Camino Frances. Probably in large part because I found the individuals involved more sympathetic characters and there seemed to be more time and effort put into discussing questions of motivation and personal experience.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0004b6f

there seemed to be more time and effort put into discussing questions of motivation and personal experience.

Here's a bit of a look behind the scenes from one of the executive producers of the company CTVC who produces these series for the BBC. They say that they learnt invaluable lessons from their first series about Santiago. CTVC specialises in religious programming: https://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/bbc/pilgrimage-the-road-to-rome-bbc2-/5138360.article .

One of the most surprising things for me was hearing about the experience of Les Dennis' Catholic mother who decided to raise her children in the Anglican Church after a Catholic priest refused to baptise her first child because the child was born out of wedlock. This must have happened about 60 years ago in the UK.

Trying to find out more about this topic, I came across a 2012 article that said that using unusually strong language, Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio of Buenos Aires has criticized Catholic pastors who refuse to baptize children born to single mothers. So this odd practice was still going on quite recently!

My current understanding is that baptism cannot be refused but it can be delayed when the priest is not convinced that the child will be brought up by the parent(s) in the Catholic faith.

Edited to add: Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio went on to become Pope Francis in 2013.

Last edited:
If your tech has failed to perform then the whole series is now available through the BBC website. Though I found some of the "humorous" parts of the series and a couple of the participants quite annoying I did think that overall this was a big improvement on the earlier series filmed on the Camino Frances. Probably in large part because I found the individuals involved more sympathetic characters and there seemed to be more time and effort put into discussing questions of motivation and personal experience.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0004b6f
Thanks very much Bradypus. Unfortunately, even though Ireland can steal UK signals live, and also record... iplayer has high walls around it. I will find out tomorrow when I get home.

@Kathar1na Thank you for that link to the producer's story. Interesting to see the series from that perspective. I don't think the forum rules will allow us to go much further into the Les Dennis backstory though.

Here's a bit of a look behind the scenes from one of the executive producers of the company CTVC who produces these series for the BBC. They say that they learnt invaluable lessons from their first series about Santiago. CTVC specialises in religious programming: https://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/bbc/pilgrimage-the-road-to-rome-bbc2-/5138360.article .

One of the most surprising things for me was hearing about the experience of Les Dennis' Catholic mother who decided to raise her children in the Anglican Church after a Catholic priest refused to baptise her first child because the child was born out of wedlock. This must have happened about 60 years ago in the UK.

Trying to find out more about this topic, I came across a 2012 article that said that using unusually strong language, Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio of Buenos Aires has criticized Catholic pastors who refuse to baptize children born to single mothers. So this odd practice was still going on quite recently!

My current understanding is that baptism cannot be refused but it can be delayed when the priest is not convinced that the child will be brought up by the parent(s) in the Catholic faith.

Edited to add: Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio went on to become Pope Francis in 2013.

Really interesting article thank you for sharing!

Home, and yes! the tv did its duty. So when all is cleared away, a quiet sit down and watch the third programme. Shame, because it is lovely outside, but that is what I want to do. East , west, hame's best...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
So, I watched it. The guy who buried his mother and his twin sister was apprehensive prior to meeting Pope Francis: does it (religion/church) involve me? He got such an unexpected reply! I found it moving to be honest. I think one of the most significant scenes was in the amphitheatre. To think that we have centuries of history under our noses - and especially this week, in the wake of the fire in Notre Dame - and we have our noses stuck in our mobile phones... anyway, glad I saw it. Glad to have seen some moments of a meaningful experience for some people. and now, today, in the moment that I have. Fine.

My new learning yesterday: recording a whole series means that even after a series has begun, you can access the missed episodes. So I watched the first episode as well. I will remember that fact, even if i forget how to do it, as I so rarely have anything to do with the TV set. I liked the series and enjoyed the glimpses of the people as well as the journey itself.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I enjoyed it too. Despite laughing at the half-full backpacks and some of the 'staged' moments, it thought it was an interesting and thought-provoking series. I'd happily walk with most of the people involved, but I think I'd have the most laughs with Lesley Joseph!

I was quite shocked when two of the pilgrims said they'd never been in a forest before - that's a very sad state of affairs indeed.

Last edited:
I was quite shocked when two of the pilgrims said they'd never been in a forest before - that's a very sad state of affairs indeed.
I agree completely - that quite shocked me - that anyone of a mature age could claim never to have walked through woodland. Rather sad, really!
I enjoyed the series: accepted that a lot of it was "staged" - but enjoyed it nevertheless.
Bless you all, and happy Easter!

Finally got to see the series and enjoyed it. It was a fair view of the journey with a generally likable group of people. I felt very sorry for Katy Brand who had to skip a stage or two due to blisters. I'm surprised that the crew filmed her talking about putting on wet socks and didn't intervene to save her from that bad decision.

Most read last week in this forum

The official Via Francigena site has published a list of free walks ** happening in 2024. If you happen to be passing through you might want to take part - or avoid that section that day. (**...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back