• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

BCN-IRUN. How to get?

Aleksei Khatkevich

Time of past OR future Camino
fetgre
Hello
I would like to ask best (chepaest) way to get from BCN airport to Irun or San Sebastian , probaly on bus, train or some type of ground transportation service.
Will arrive 17/09 at 6.50 am and dont want to stay overnight in Barcelona. Would prefer to take something directly from the airport, if it possible of cource.
Thanks

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Aleksei Khatkevich! Welcome to the forum!

You can take a train from downtown Barcelona (Sants train station) to Irún with www.renfe.com To get from the airport to Sants train station, you can take a Cercanías (commuter) train.

Another option is to take a bus from downtown Barcelona to Irún with www.monbus.es Buses depart from Barcelona Nord bus station and make a stop at Barcelona Sants really close to Sants train station what makes it easier to reach from the airport than Barcelona Nord bus station.

Check fares and travel times for both options and decide by yourself which one suits you more.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Looks like an epic trip. I'd be interested to see which way you end up doing it

Buen Camino

Hello
I would like to ask best (chepaest) way to get from BCN airport to Irun or San Sebastian , probaly on bus, train or some type of ground transportation service.
Will arrive 17/09 at 6.50 am and dont want to stay overnight in Barcelona. Would prefer to take something directly from the airport, if it possible of cource.
Thanks

hello, I do the same route, and I will take the train (www.renfe.com). I did not check the price of bus, but Renfe ticket cost 39euros (bus should be cheaper) 6 hours of train ride, and there are 3 trains /day, there is in the afternoon as well, so you dont have to spend the night.

Thanks for the help and coments
Sems like BLABLACAR might be the case. At leaset it quite flexible and not expencive. In order to be cheap buses and especially train have to be booked in advance whereas blablacar cost 30 euros mas or menos dependlesы on the dates.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
and reson why i cant book it in advance is that ia am coming out of shengen zone and custom delays and stuff are unpredictable.Especially these days....

I'd be tempted to book the Norwegian flight from BCN to BIO (Bilbao) for 35€. I know you rather not book in advance, but since you're already at the airport, this seems the easiest and fastest. (You'd arrive in Bilbao at 9:30) From the airport in Bilbao, it's a cheap bus ride to the bus station in the city.

From the bus station, I'm sure you can catch a bus to San Sebastian or Irun. There's even a metro that goes to both cities, but it's kind of slow.

I recently set up a ride with Blablacar only to have the driver cancel while I was en route from the States, so now I'm a little leery about counting on this service.

I think the easiest way to get downtown Barcelona is the Airport coach (bus) about € 5.90 from the airport to the Plaza Catalonya. There is an Alsa bus alsa.es leaving at 7 am but you won´t make it!

Other bus companies maybe have other departures.

Or stay in Barcelona one day, enjoy the city and the wonderful beaches.
There are several hostels right around the Plaza Catalonya which is the final stop of the airport bus.
Check up St Christopher´s Inn.

Whatever you decide - both buses and trains are very comfortable and reliable way to get get around.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
1. Fly Barcelona to San Sebastian EAS. EAS is located 3 km from Irun Renfe station.

2. Cercanias/Rodalies from Airport to Barcelona Sants. Metro line 1 from Barcelona Sants to Arc de Triomf and walk to Barcelona Estacion Nord.

a. Renfe train from Barcelona Sants to Irun Renfe Station.

b. ViBaSA (Monbus) bus from Barcelona Sants or Estacion Nord to Irun Renfe Station

c. ALSA bus from Estacion Nord to Zaragosa and onward to San Sebastian.

3. Take Euskotren (Amara station) or Renfe Cercanias (Renfe Station) from San Sebastian to Irun.

Hello
Thanks

https://www.skyscanner.com/transpor...senabled=true&inboundaltsenabled=true#results

should be able to make the 9:50 am flight

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Sems like BLABLACAR might be the case. At leaset it quite flexible and not expencive

Be aware Blablacar and the owners of bus companies' are in a trial because the later considers the former makes unfair competition. If the owners' of bus companies win, Blablacar may be closed in Spain. Even if they don't win, they may request the judge to close Blablacar temporarily till there's a judgement (court ruling) about the case; request that may be accepted or refused by the judge.

I think the easiest way to get downtown Barcelona is the Airport coach (bus) about € 5.90 from the airport to the Plaza Catalonya.

That's a good option if you just want to get to the downtown. If all what you want is to get to Sants to get a train or a bus out of Barcelona, don't get off the aerobús (the bus you quoted) at Plaça Catalunya but at Plaça Espanya and walk to Sants station from there. The walk isn't long but it can be some more hassle than to take the Cercanías train from the airport to Sants. If arriving to terminal 2 (where the airport's train station is located), the Cercanías train is, IMHO, the best bet to get to Sants station. If arriving to terminal 1, you have to decide whether you prefer to take a shuttle bus between terminals (to take the Cercanías in Terminal 2) or to walk a bit in downtown Barcelona (in which case you would take the aerobús out of Terminal 1).

There is an Alsa bus alsa.es leaving at 7 am but you won´t make it!

That option must mean a change of buses somewhere along the route (most likely in Zaragoza) because Alsa doesn't have rights to sell tickets from Barcelona to Irún on direct buses between both cities.

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back