• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Be Alert to Thieves in Santo Domingo

jastrace

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2010, 2013, 2015, and 2017.
Camino Portuguese in planning (Sept 2018)
It was observed today that suspected thieves appear to be active in Santo Domingo.

They were observed working in groups of 3-4 men, individuals, extended family groups and parent and child groups. Individuals were observed systematicaly 'working' groups, couples and individual pilgrims in public spaces, looking for opportunistic targets. These activities were observed in the 'old town' where many pilgrims are concentrated. They were especially conspicuous by their presence on the streets this afternoon during a wet siesta period.

Despite their ability to speak Spanish, those involved did not appear to be part of the local Spanish population, based on their appearance and behaviour.

Be aware in public places such as: public laundries, outside bars and cafes, internet cafes and entrances to churches and shops where they were observed today.

Local police appear to be alert due to some reasonably active patroling activity.

Don't let this upset your Camino, just be alert and take precautions.

Buen Camino,

Jason

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Me and others I spoke to during the course of the afternoon. Not hard to identify if you are alert and use your eyes. It was so obvious (to me) that it prompted the above post to be alert.

Nothing has to be stolen to be aware of thieves.
They spot you a mile off and i hope you spot them.

Within churches in Australia try leaving your hand bag on the seat when you go to communion.
If your family are not there .......no hand bag.

Recently a lovely old lady followed people from a funeral at the local to the bowls club for the wake/coffee/sandwiches etc. A mere 200metres.

One of the staff told my sister to move my 92 year old mothers hand bag away from the bench where the oldies had gathered.
It seems the beautiful old lady has priors and is very good at what she does .
The next day her son's home was visited by members of the parish.
She no longer attends random funerals at the church.

How times have changed.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Ok.
So so far, nothing has been stolen and somebody is assuming people are thieves by the way they look? :|

Why make people paranoid. ?

Just like you or me. It doesn't seem to me that they wear a uniform. They might also be well practised at behaving just like other people too, as behaving differently will draw attention to their activities. I have a simple view that those who might be behaving suspiciously are least likely to be the real threat, and by avoiding them one might actually be doing what a gang of thieves might want us to do.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Or quite the opposite :D

As Forrest Gump said (once): "Life is like a box of chocolate. You never know what you gonna get." :lol:

dougfitz said:
... I have a simple view that those who might be behaving suspiciously are least likely to be the real threat, and by avoiding them one might actually be doing what a gang of thieves might want us to do.

Again I agree with you ;-) SY

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Dealing with theives is easy.
Do not bring anything with you that you can´t afford to lose.

Aside from that, as a hospitalera I can´t tell you the number of times a much lamented "stolen" item later turned up under someone´s pillow or deep in their pack, or still hanging out on the wash line where they left it. :roll:

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Rebekah Scott said:
Dealing with theives is easy.
... as a hospitalera I can´t tell you the number of times a much lamented "stolen" item later turned up under someone´s pillow or deep in their pack, or still hanging out on the wash line where they left it. :roll:

Or under a bed ... :lol: SY

I do get what the original poster is saying. Be alert about unusual patterns of behaviour around you – but do not allow yourself to get obsessed about it.

annelise

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Sojourner47 said:
SYates said:
Or under a bed ... :lol: SY

Voice of experience? :)

Hospitalera experience ;-) You can't imagine what you can find in a pilgrim's dormitory when brooming under the
beds ;-) SY

In a past job I used to get regular notifications of " suspected thieves " operating in specified locations. What was meant were Roma, Romanies, Gypsies, Tinkers - depends what you call us in your language. I remember that in Hungary I was told that the "Roma never stop working"; the speaker, a policeman, didn't mean thieving, he meant working. His observation referred to how busy they were - picking up discarded cans and bottles, looking for scap metal, discarded clothing anything useable or re-cycleable.

I used to be a suspected drug smuggler every time I crossed a border, a suspected anarchist every time I went on a protest march and a suspected bastard every time I performed an audit on behalf of Her Majesties Government.

A suspected thief is someone you don't know, in an environment with which you are unfamiliar when your paranoia is running stronger than usual. Have you ever noticed the shifty look in the eyes of the nuns as they take your donativo? What do they spend the money on? Some religious cult?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
@Tincatinker
If there would be a like button here in the forum, I would click it a zillion tomes! Thanks for your post! SY

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back