• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Be careful of the rough waters

peregrina2000

Staff member
I just saw a news report that a French pilgrim is missing from a beach near Fisterra, the Playa O Rostro. His backpack and all documentation were found on the beach. Unfortunately, this will not be the first death of pilgrims who took ill-advised swims. The article describes terrible sea conditions and all sorts of alerts, such a tragedy.
http://www.abc.es/espana/galicia/ab...cido-playa-fisterra-201601012058_noticia.html

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I saw this on the news the other day. We have had winds of up to 120km/h and a lot of rain the last few days... and on the coast I imagine even worse... it seems this pilgrims went down to the sea in a difficult area... the helicopter was looking for him for about an hour the other day, but has since needed to come back due to bad weather.

The Finisterre area has a lot of currents normally, these days I imagine even worse. :(

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I saw this on the news the other day. We have had winds of up to 120km/h and a lot of rain the last few days... and on the coast I imagine even worse... it seems this pilgrims went down to the sea in a difficult area... the helicopter was looking for him for about an hour the other day, but has since needed to come back due to bad weather.

The Finisterre area has a lot of currents normally, these days I imagine even worse. :(
Ivar, I am sorry, I am having a hard time wrapping my mind around how to use your web site. How do I start a new question thread? I hate to change the subject in other peoples threads!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I just saw a news report that a French pilgrim is missing from a beach near Fisterra, the Playa O Rostro. His backpack and all documentation were found on the beach.

What a terrible conclusion to this poor man's camino. This beach is not directly on a camino but is close to and overlooked from Castrexe on the Finisterre - Muxia way. Given the weather on the Galician coast last week and the likely sea state, it is hard to imagine any other outcome to swimming there, particularly alone.

Thoughts and prayers are with his family.

My prayers to his soul and family

Zzotte

May he soon be discovered.
Ivar, I am sorry, I am having a hard time wrapping my mind around how to use your web site. How do I start a new question thread? I hate to change the subject in other peoples threads!
Click on Camino de Santiago Forum at the very top left. Scroll down to and click the forum you want. On the right you will see "Start a New Thread".Click on it and there you are.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Having grown-up in the sea here in Oz I have always had a respect for its power. Given that the Nth Atlantic, even in summer, has sea temps of less than 15'C I cannot understand why anyone would want to "swim" in it during the middle of winter (it would be near zero!).
If as a pilgrim you were trying to replicate the actions of pilgrims past then by all means take you shoes off, roll you pants up and go for a paddle. You will soon find out how cold that water is.
For the family of this young man I have deep sympathy. :(:(:(

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
... Given that the Nth Atlantic, even in summer, has sea temps of less than 15'C I cannot understand why anyone would want to "swim" in it during the middle of winter (it would be near zero!). ...

Which would, sadly, suggest a suicide, SY

We have similar "sneaker waves" in Oregon. They come up from the side and behind and sweep a few people away each year--- not swimmers, but people walking on the beach.

One of the legends of the origin of the scallop shell of St James, is that a sneaker wave swept a pilgrim into the ocean. The others prayed to St James, and the next big wave washed him up on the beach, covered with scallop shells.

I'm hoping for a similar miracle.

That would be truly an answer to many prayers here! SY

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi,

Denis is a Breton pilgrim from the French Finistère ; he is used to walking on the beach by the worse weather along the Atlantic coast (very similar to the Galician coast ... ) where he is living in Penmarc'h Brittany ...

He is member of the Breton St James Association.

Very sad news ; I'm keeping my fingers crossed for him that he'll be found very soon.

Théo

Denis is a Breton pilgrim from the French Finistère ; he is used to walking on the beach by the worse weather along the Atlantic coast (very similar to the Galician coast ... ) where he is living in Penmarc'h Brittany ...

Theo, Thank you for these details. Can you please pass on our sincerest condolences to his family at this sad time.

Take care, be safe.

Which would, sadly, suggest a suicide, SY
Or, quite simply, lack of awareness. After all, we have seen many photos of pilgrims walking/diving into the sea once they reached to ocean. One might assume that a pilgrim, on reaching the shore after walking for 30 or 40 days might think they could conquer the world.
I remember a young Mum bouncing her baby into the water on the west coast of Vancouver Island on a particularly hot but still Spring day one year, and her baby screaming, not joyfully. The water of the Pacific Ocean there is rarely more than a few degrees above freezing at that time of year, and the Mum, standing on the shore in boots, had no idea what she was doing.
Where ignorance is bliss ... does not always hold true.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have done it myself at Finisterre on a bad weather day at the end of a November, decided to ignore the driving rain and freezing winds and leave my clothes, backpack in a pile on the beach and go into the sea, to purify. Seems stupid from the comfort of my front room, but after weeks of walking you are in a different place.
My thoughts to his family.

You forget about waves like that, I was on the same beach as the Frenchman, if a wave had come in like that I would have been in trouble and no one would have seen it.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back